A New Direction?

QXBoy

10 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Ok , it’s a forum , it’s my opinion , do you really believe a Board would say Hey Gary why don’t we try and sign players over 35 years of age , I’m sure they were good players in their day , we’ll maybe get a year out of them , might cost us a few bob but it doesn’t matter .

What’s your opinion?

What age was Scott MacDonald ?

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

What age was Scott MacDonald ?

Think he was 36 , if that’s the road you think we should go down that’s fine , but maybe it’s a quick fix , are we building anything for the future or just going to throw money at players whose best days are behind them .

41 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think he was 36 , if that’s the road you think we should go down that’s fine , but maybe it’s a quick fix , are we building anything for the future or just going to throw money at players whose best days are behind them .

I was replying to your point that said would the board throw money at over 35 years old. This board obviously has - and arguably it produced the right results.

Teams also need experience to bring the younger players on. 

7 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I was replying to your point that said would the board throw money at over 35 years old. This board obviously has - and arguably it produced the right results.

Teams also need experience to bring the younger players on. 

They did throw money at Anderson, Harkins and Macdonald but that was for the short term to try and stay in the league after the mess that Archie and Caldwell got us into , surely we want to build the Club back up and have some sort of plan for the future.

32 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t see the logic in Miller coming to Thistle. Dundee will be in our league next season and I am pretty sure that will have a far bigger budget than us. Is his contract there up ?

I think the link was because the manager is close friends with miller 

Looking at who is currently signed up for next season we have 10 players (I am not including Bell as I think we all expect a mutual parting of the ways to be coming). Of those 1 is over 30 and if all of the players offered new deals were to accept we would have 2 players out of 13 being over 30. That does not strike me as an old squad and if a few of our new signings were over 30 I think it would be fairly balanced.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Looking at who is currently signed up for next season we have 10 players (I am not including Bell as I think we all expect a mutual parting of the ways to be coming). Of those 1 is over 30 and if all of the players offered new deals were to accept we would have 2 players out of 13 being over 30. That does not strike me as an old squad and if a few of our new signings were over 30 I think it would be fairly balanced.

A way to look at it is how many of the squad are likely to have their best years ahead of them. At present I admit it doesn't look too bad on that account. Ideally tho' I don't feel there's too much scope for Caldwell to be signing many experienced players. Otherwise we're just putting off the inevitable. Put rather coldly, devaluing our stock. 

I also feel we need to redress the overall lack of pace in the squad. Imo there's only one player (Fitzpatrick) that's got above league average pace about him. Signing experienced players will most likely come at a cost (pace), which will make that situation all the worse. Fairly sure Caldwell will do something about that and we just have to be hopeful we end up with improvements on Storey and Roy.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sandy said:

Not only that, they would need a legitimate reason to terminate any contract. Even a criminal layer wouldn’t risk an employment tribunal surely?

Do you think Kris should contact Just Employment Law?

19 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t see the logic in Miller coming to Thistle. Dundee will be in our league next season and I am pretty sure that will have a far bigger budget than us. Is his contract there up ?

Relegation release clause.

21 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

They did throw money at Anderson, Harkins and Macdonald but that was for the short term to try and stay in the league after the mess that Archie and Caldwell got us into , surely we want to build the Club back up and have some sort of plan for the future.

Don't disagree but that's exactly what John Lambie did every year. All short term. As it happens the dreaded McNamara and indeed McCall did it differently. The question is who got it right?