Youth Academy closing ?

Bobbyhouston

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I notice the chairman’s statement doesn’t say the Academy is closing.....

The Academy won’t shut when there is funding from Colin Weir , after that I doubt whether it’s sustainable at all for a Club at our level which fluctuates between the top 2 divisions , think that’s why Falkirk shut their Academy as it wasn’t cost effective, it was costing them roughly 700k a year on a turnover of under 2 million , any player transfers were a bonus but they couldn’t guarantee that year on year .

19 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The Academy won’t shut when there is funding from Colin Weir , after that I doubt whether it’s sustainable at all for a Club at our level which fluctuates between the top 2 divisions , think that’s why Falkirk shut their Academy as it wasn’t cost effective, it was costing them roughly 700k a year on a turnover of under 2 million , any player transfers were a bonus but they couldn’t guarantee that year on year .

Every Falkirk fan will tell you the previous regime and the decision to close their academy was a disaster 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Every Falkirk fan will tell you the previous regime and the decision to close their academy was a disaster 

Where does the money come from to run it ?, could we afford to run our Academy without Colin Weir’s money, if we were an established Premier League team it could be possibly be done, but at our level can you really justify a 35% cost year on year with no guarantee of any return .

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Where does the money come from to run it ?, could we afford to run our Academy without Colin Weir’s money, if we were an established Premier League team it could be possibly be done, but at our level can you really justify a 35% cost year on year with no guarantee of any return .

Falkirk did away with their Academy and invested in what ? About 40 plus players in two transfer windows and got relegated ... that’s more expensive than running an academy 

academies come in all shapes and sizes you have the one your budget can afford 

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Falkirk did away with their Academy and invested in what ? About 40 plus players in two transfer windows and got relegated ... that’s more expensive than running an academy 

academies come in all shapes and sizes you have the one your budget can afford 

At our level just now , there wouldn’t be any budget just now for an Academy, we’re currently in the process of dealing with a business whose turnover has halved in a year and the Club are restructuring hence the redundancies .

The money to run an Academy just isn’t there at this moment.

17 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

At our level just now , there wouldn’t be any budget just now for an Academy, we’re currently in the process of dealing with a business whose turnover has halved in a year and the Club are restructuring hence the redundancies .

The money to run an Academy just isn’t there at this moment.

Well actually it is at the moment thanks to Colin weir

define academy and how much it would cost

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Well actually it is at the moment thanks to Colin weir

define academy and how much it would cost

Sorry over and above Colin Weirs money , in my opinion we couldn’t run an Academy, before Colin Weir could we afford to run any any sort of an Academy?  , the Academy just now is costing 500k + 

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Sorry over and above Colin Weirs money , in my opinion we couldn’t run an Academy, before Colin Weir could we afford to run any any sort of an Academy?  , the Academy just now is costing 500k + 

That’s why I asked define academy and how much would it’s budget be ? 

11 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Maybe check out how  Ayr and Clyde have academies 

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

The last donation by the Weirs (July 2018) was £600K and was ring fenced to keep the Academy viable for a further 2 years.

Oh, and in addition to previously mentioned lower league clubs Inverness and Ayr, both Queens Park and Morton still manage to run Academies.

As for Falkirk, they didn't pull out of the Forth Valley Academy (effectively closing it) because they couldn't afford it, but as a gamble to free up further funds to invest in the first team to win promotion...a decision that with hindsight was obviously flawed!

Not forgetting that Dundee are now a lower league club lol !

Edited by ThistleBunnet
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThistleBunnet said:

The last donation by the Weirs (July 2018) was £600K and was ring fenced to keep the Academy viable for a further 2 years.

Oh, and in addition to previously mentioned lower league clubs Inverness and Ayr, both Queens Park and Morton still manage to run Academies.

As for Falkirk, they didn't pull out of the Forth Valley Academy (effectively closing it) because they couldn't afford it, but as a gamble to free up further funds to invest in the first team to win promotion...a decision that with hindsight was obviously flawed!

Not forgetting that Dundee are now a lower league club lol !

Not true re Falkirk, read their chairwoman Q and A

20 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Your joking .,,, you believe the Falkirk ex chairman but not the Chairmsn of your own club how ironic ,,,, speak to a few Falkirk fans 

Get real , I’ve not even got involved in what Jaqui Low said or didn’t say , all I’m saying that it is doubtful whether there would be an Academy without Colin Weirs money .

Over the last 7 years Colin Weir has invested possibly in the region of 3 or 4 million.

To date we’ve sold on Liam Lindsey for 350k , got James Penrice to be a first team regular and young Aidan who has played roughly 20 times in the first team. Not a lot in 7 years.

We had a great opportunity 6 or 7 years ago and a lot of our focus should have been on developing players and bringing them through to the first team .

For whatever reason that hasn’t happened, it it was a business as such , you would have to say it isn’t cost effective.

8 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Get real , I’ve not even got involved in what Jaqui Low said or didn’t say , all I’m saying that it is doubtful whether there would be an Academy without Colin Weirs money .

Over the last 7 years Colin Weir has invested possibly in the region of 3 or 4 million.

To date we’ve sold on Liam Lindsey for 350k , got James Penrice to be a first team regular and young Aidan who has played roughly 20 times in the first team. Not a lot in 7 years.

We had a great opportunity 6 or 7 years ago and a lot of our focus should have been on developing players and bringing them through to the first team .

For whatever reason that hasn’t happened, it it was a business as such , you would have to say it isn’t cost effective.

Ok .... clubs of the same stature of lower than us have Academies but your so negative you don’t think we can have one 

It’s not 3-4m so that’s not good 

I don’t understand are you got or against academies or think ours could only work 6 years ago ? 

How can Ayr afford one ?    

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok .... clubs of the same stature of lower than us have Academies but your so negative you don’t think we can have one 

It’s not 3-4m so that’s not good 

I don’t understand are you got or against academies or think ours could only work 6 years ago ? 

How can Ayr afford one ?    

Do you think we’ve done well out of the Academy? 

I’m not against Academies  , Hamilton is a good example,you can  see it works for them and listening to Brian Rice you can see that’s been part of his remit to give the youngsters a pathway to the first team .

My 3 nephews are all part of the Hamilton Academy and the focus is on the Academy staff to push the youngsters on to first team level, not sure that’s happened at Firhill yet