Chairman’s Statement

javeajag

"The Board agreed that there was also a need to develop new income streams to create new funds. It is unreasonable to expect that fans and sponsors provide all the funds to support the Club’s aspirations (nor do we have a sugar daddy or major donor as is rumoured by some fans – Colin Weir has never had any ongoing financial commitment to the Club, instead choosing to fund the Thistle Weir Youth Academy on an annual basis)"

So, the Club is funded by "fans and sponsors", and, we do not have a sugar daddy or major donor in Colin Weir?

Surely the board should be currently active in attracting investors onto the board?

The current board is four in number, including Alan Rough.

As far as I am aware, none of them have a financial investment in the business?

This is extremely unusual for a professional football club!

How do you get the gig?  Nudge,nudge - Wink,Wink?  Who appoints the Chair?

Be assured, the kudos of being a director of a football club will be of great benefit in their other business and social circles, including receiving free entry to home & away matches to view from the directors box.

Supporters pay more through the turnstiles than any of them!

A good statement. Like with the manager I will judge her with how things go in the new season. I have no problem with it being released the same day as season tickets go on sale, as we need to sell as many as possible, to get as much money into the club as we can. Hope it does persuade anybody who wasn't sure about buying one to do so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Club can post or communicate anyway it pleases - nothing is stopping them ? 

Not the point I was making. Just musing it must be really exasperating experience. I'd be gasping to wade in to the ensuing discussion here and elsewhere, but you just can't do it.

8 minutes ago, fenski said:

Not the point I was making. Just musing it must be really exasperating experience. I'd be gasping to wade in to the ensuing discussion here and elsewhere, but you just can't do it.

No need for it to have been exasperating if they had been proactive in communicating with the fans.  Nip the fans' daft speculation in the bud.

What might help is if the club website had a comments feature, so people could comment directly on the statement, then the club could summarise common themes and issue a response. Potentially result in a more focused and constructive engagement.

As it stands, it's all a bit disjointed. All they can do is to continue to openly engage and eventually build up supporter's trust.

Its important because its being alluded to that we dont have a major funder in Colin Weir  - but its not been stated as such whats been stated is that he has no long term financial commitment to the Club - now thats different ie it leaves the door open to ad hoc funding as required - now we need to know are we capable of self funding - thats very very important in the Championship 

Sorry but I’m still struggling to understand what difference it makes. The statement is clear that going forward we will live within our means. I don’t think that as supporters we need to know where that comes from.

lets suppose we are getting £1m per week from a sugar daddy. What would you, as a supporter, do differently ? Why do you need To know ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Sorry but I’m still struggling to understand what difference it makes. The statement is clear that going forward we will live within our means. I don’t think that as supporters we need to know where that comes from.

lets suppose we are getting £1m per week from a sugar daddy. What would you, as a supporter, do differently ? Why do you need To know ?

But it doesnt clarify funding - so "means" is subjective and yes we do need to know - if we are getting £1MN a week in donations thart means the Club is being propped up and we arent trading within our means - trading within our means the Directors  generate the cash as a business so  it matters a great deal otherwise how do we measure our true financial position ? 

Very detailed although I'm not sure how much of it I believe.

I've not been a huge fan of Jacqui Low, she doesn't give me much confidence that she knows how to successfully run a football club.

However, like Caldwell, she's got a big few months ahead of her. If things remain the same as last season then I don't think either of them could have too many complaints about being stood down.

I wish her well, for the sake of all of us I would like to see her succeed.

Proof will be in the pudding etc etc.

37 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Agreed DD.

We may be curious, we may be nosey/inquisitive, we may be concerned - but - and I think some are missing the point, we do not NEED to know. 

If the Club was really serious about communicating with the fans, it would make much more use of the two fans trusts.  If they communicated via very regular (joint) meetings of the trusts, it would not only improve communications, but also bolster the importance of the trusts, and encourage fans to join the trusts and attend their meetings.

That would allow the PTFC Trust to meet its ambition to involve more fans and its stated pre-requisite to calling for a Trust presence on the Club's board of directors.

Really good statement.

There’s nothing she could say to appease Jordanhill Jag. Genuinely used to enjoy reading his insight into the club and some of his ideas. Now it’s just negative and very predictable. He moaned until the cows came home about the lack of communication from the club. Yet, after Gary Caldwell’s well received evening and this long and informative statement from the chair all he can do is mump and moan yet again.  

• Like 4
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

But it doesnt clarify funding - so "means" is subjective and yes we do need to know - if we are getting £1MN a week in donations thart means the Club is being propped up and we arent trading within our means - trading within our means the Directors  generate the cash as a business so  it matters a great deal otherwise how do we measure our true financial position ? 

Absolutely in agreement. The directors, the shareholders and possibly the regulatory bodies both within and outside football would need to know, and that is why the club provide audited accounts. In a preseason statement targeting supporters, that is too detailed and inappropriate.

For the intended recipients this is a very good statement, addressing the most pressing concerns and accepting the failings. I can only feel more positive following this and the managers meeting

Read this several times and the tone to me does not seem to be building bridges or building trust put more pointing fingers at those who question. No real substance. The AGM with financial statements and follow through with academy will show where we actually are. 

The fact we have went from promotion to no goals in under 6 months I find alarming  especially as the manager will have had 2 or 3/transfer windows and substantial backing by then, yet our goals have dropped.

Several of the comments on it are directly in response to posts given on here, so if Gerry or Jackie are lurking reading the posts come out and respond directly, or you can Facebook messenger or WhatsApp the posters like you do others, whilst also slagging off sections of the fan base. 

Im more than willing to share those screenshots if called out

• Like 1

Thought it was a reasonable statement. It does tho' have an element of "leap of faith" about it and we've been there before. Think a lot boils down to this para.... 

However, what we are aiming for is that when the Club says something, I want you to believe that it means exactly what it says, no side, no spin. So we will work harder next season to earn your trust so that when those occasions arise when we can’t say too much, you can believe that there’s no conspiracy or deliberate attempt to mislead. And when we do speak, you believe us.

• Like 2

But we’re not are we 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Read this several times and the tone to me does not seem to be building bridges or building trust put more pointing fingers at those who question. No real substance. The AGM with financial statements and follow through with academy will show where we actually are. 

The fact we have went from promotion to no goals in under 6 months I find alarming  especially as the manager will have had 2 or 3/transfer windows and substantial backing by then, yet our goals have dropped.

Several of the comments on it are directly in response to posts given on here, so if Gerry or Jackie are lurking reading the posts come out and respond directly, or you can Facebook messenger or WhatsApp the posters like you do others, whilst also slagging off sections of the fan base. 

Im more than willing to share those screenshots if called out

Bitter or what 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We absolutely need to know. Otherwise we don’t know if they’re lying and therefore if our club is at risk.

I find the idea that the fans don’t need to know how the Club is funded and whether its board is telling the truth about its predicament simply an astonishing attitude.

Have people learned *nothing* from Gretna, Dundee, Livingston, Save the Jags and our own little local difficulties with the Taxman only a decade ago?

Edit: or Hearts, Airdrie, Clyde, OldCo and countless others?

People in positions of authority should not be trusted to tell the truth, no matter how much they insist that they are doing what is in (what they perceive to be) the best interests of the club.

Edited by Woodstock Jag
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, javeajag said:

There is probably no level of detail that would satisfy you .....I look forward to the next agm......

This isnt true - the Chairman has alluded to zero funding from the Weirs but in essence doesnt actually say that - now if we were getting zero funding why not just say Colin Weir does not fund us beyond  the Academy in any shape or form - however instead we get a very carefully worded statement -- leaving it wide open to interpitation - so if we are not being funded - why bother with the statement 

So why is it important  - ok read closely - we reciecved circa £850K when relegated - we then have our Annual income on top of that - we are told we didnt touch the Cash reserves - looks good - but what about the £850K additional funding ? We were promoted on Championship turnover - instead we avioded relegation using an additional £850K  - now if thats used up - thats a massive level of cash burn in the Championship - so knowning a) where our funding comes from and b) how fast we spend cash is important - 

I accept Fans arent interested - but take a look at Falkirk etc etc they are in the shit due to cashflow - what happens off the park affects what happens on it - so its not about detial - its about clarity 

Its not whats said in the statement - its whats not said thats important 

• Like 1