Kit 2019-2020

That 1 jags fan

6 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

The concern that using an LGBT vehicle for publicity.

Ok. I don't think I'm concerned at that. If it was just purely a publicity stunt then I might be. I'm sure the club is aware of the publicity it will generate, but it also seems like a positive message. One that might even help some people. So I'm good with it.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

I am slightly uncomfortable if the club are using this particular platform for publicity. Kingsley was a masterstroke, and the pink strip was for a great cause. Hopefully I am reading this wrong.

Interestingly there hasn't, as far as I've seen, been so much as a single dissenting view expressed from within the LGBTQ community. Quite the reverse in fact. 

I'd go with their take on whether it is at all cynical or exploitive. 

34 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I still have my doubts.

I don’t think anyone will be surprised by that 

as Gerry said we are an inclusive club who want to attract everyone and do not discriminate  any group the new away top fits with that 

everyone in football talks about this and very clubs so much 

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

The concern that using an LGBT vehicle for publicity.

Think you've got this one wrong GRE. Is it wrong to show your support to others. Raise awareness etc? Surely not. Are Barca wrong to have had UNICEF on their strip. Joan Laporta got world wide recognition and coverage, the first to give this prime sponsorship spot to something other than money grabbing capitalism. I don't think so. This is as much a statement about our club and any shameless promotion in media outlets. We are telling the "world" that all are welcome here regardless of sexual orientation, race colour, creed, religion etc cos we are Thistle.

Of course it also allows us to take the moral high ground and give two fingers to the ugly sisters who have built their respective empires on bigotry and intolerance.

Gawd I so love being better than them

28 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Think you've got this one wrong GRE. Is it wrong to show your support to others. Raise awareness etc? Surely not. Are Barca wrong to have had UNICEF on their strip. Joan Laporta got world wide recognition and coverage, the first to give this prime sponsorship spot to something other than money grabbing capitalism. I don't think so. This is as much a statement about our club and any shameless promotion in media outlets. We are telling the "world" that all are welcome here regardless of sexual orientation, race colour, creed, religion etc cos we are Thistle.

Of course it also allows us to take the moral high ground and give two fingers to the ugly sisters who have built their respective empires on bigotry and intolerance.

Gawd I so love being better than them

We have to agree to disagree.

3 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

We have to agree to disagree.

I still don't really understand. Do you worry that it could be construed as a cynical play for publicity, or do you think it is a cynical play for publicity?

I have to admit that I think to some extent it probably does play for publicity. Thistle definitely gain from it.

Where I disagree is that I don't really see who loses from it. I don't think anyone is being exploited here. I think the sentiment is genuine, i.e. I think the people at the club want to be inclusive and know that the support will predominantly buy into that. And most importantly, I think it has the potential to benefit people. In the short term a young gay Thistle fan sees their club standing up for what they are. In the longer term a contribution to help football climb out of the dark ages on this, to the point that players can be as open about themselves as they wish to be, without fear.

All good I reckon.

• Like 1

The LGBT charity Stonewall has its Rainbow Laces campaign which was in its third year last season, to promote inclusion and to be a public ally to lesbian, gay, bi and trans people in sport. This is a great thing for the club to do, to remind people that everyone is welcome at Firhill.

I'd buy this shirt just to piss off the bellends who use the term "political correctness" as a pejorative.

• Like 2