New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

16 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Nobody is criticising him for what he has done, and yes the current board should have contacted him and kept him in the loop. But if it was my money, I would be pro active about finding out what is going on rather than sitting waiting 

You are also building a picture here that he doesn’t trust David Beattie. Was it not under David Beattie that he 1st invested ?

Would you trust David Beattie 

At this point - and this is purely speculation - we don't really know what the terms of any negotiations between the returning board and any prospective new owners are.  They could well be covered by some kind of non-disclosure agreement (not wholly uncommon), which limits what they say, hence a limited press release which unfortunately ends up raising more questions than answers.

Too much of this absolute bunfight has played out through the press - the initial interest was reported by McGowan at the Mail, wasn't it? - and since then feels like exchanges of sniper fire between the ousted board and the current incumbents through their newspaper proxies.  The downside of that, beyond the obvious obfuscation on both sides of what's really gone on, is that it just ends up pissing off everyone caught in the crossfire.

It's very hard to sort the actual, credible information from the circular arguments, conspiracy theories and ITK claims being floated on here, P&B and elsewhere.  That's the kind of nasty behaviour we like to berate the ugly sisters' supporters for.  Maybe, difficult though it is, it's worth taking a step back, clearing the heads and seeing what can genuinely be pieced together in terms of what's going on without it dissolving back into factionalised warfare?

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Would you trust David Beattie 

Yes.

Beattie is/was the best chairman Partick Thistle has had for a number of years. I don't think anyone can refute that.

It seems he made a serious error in appointing Jacqui Low. We shall see how she ran the club when the accounts are published. 

You seem to have a personal grievance with David Beattie. It's clouded every one of your numerous posts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

Yes.

Beattie is/was the best chairman Partick Thistle has had for a number of years. I don't think anyone can refute that.

It seems he made a serious error in appointing Jacqui Low. We shall see how she ran the club when the accounts are published. 

You seem to have a personal grievance with David Beattie. It's clouded every one of your numerous posts. 

I have no personal grievance with David Beattie don’t know him at all and I would agree first time round he was the best chairman we had for years but that was then.....and I was a critic of low and the previous board but I don’t see why Beattie should be given a free pass....example this takeover has being going on for months yet David Beattie didn’t speak to Colin weir till last couple of weeks? Really ?  Why was that ? And after telling us publicly he was going to reach out to him we hear nothing from him but Colin Weir puts out a statement.....if that had been low she would have been pummeled on here for how that was handled and Beattie should expect the same.

Edited by javeajag

11 minutes ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

Yes.

He didn’t make an error in appointing Jaqui Low , that was part of the deal as Colin Weir was investing in our Club .

As regards the accounts , of course Jaqui Low was the figurehead but she obviously had a Board of Directors around about her , our accountants and also the Chief Executive Gerry Britton to advise her , any financial decisions within the Club I hope would have been measured and part of a strategy to protect the financial future of the Club.

Maybe that’s not went to plan but don’t kid yourself David Beattie and his colleagues have all come out of retirement for the good of PTFC , they’ve come back for financial gain regardless of what the future holds for our Club .

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Nobody is criticising him for what he has done, and yes the current board should have contacted him and kept him in the loop. But if it was my money, I would be pro active about finding out what is going on rather than sitting waiting 

You are also building a picture here that he doesn’t trust David Beattie. Was it not under David Beattie that he 1st invested ?

I’m sure Colin Weir would have invested in PTFC regardless of who the chairman was , David Beattie just happened to be the Chairman at that particular time 

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

He didn’t make an error in appointing Jaqui Low , that was part of the deal as Colin Weir was investing in our Club .

As regards the accounts , of course Jaqui Low was the figurehead but she obviously had a Board of Directors around about her , our accountants and also the Chief Executive Gerry Britton to advise her , any financial decisions within the Club I hope would have been measured and part of a strategy to protect the financial future of the Club.

Maybe that’s not went to plan but don’t kid yourself David Beattie and his colleagues have all come out of retirement for the good of PTFC , they’ve come back for financial gain regardless of what the future holds for our Club .

To say DB has come back for 'financial gain' is doing the guy a disservice. If you were to say he was there primarily to protect part of his investment I could accept that. But to say that DB is back working as the PTFC Chairman simply for the money is not accurate

3 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

To say DB has come back for 'financial gain' is doing the guy a disservice. If you were to say he was there primarily to protect part of his investment I could accept that. But to say that DB is back working as the PTFC Chairman simply for the money is not accurate

That may or may not be true. I have no inside knowledge, however the way the stories come out suggests otherwise. At best, he has lost control of the agenda.

1 minute ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

He’s came back to make sure the deal goes through, incredibly naive if you think that’s not the reason .

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

He’s came back to make sure the deal goes through, incredibly naive if you think that’s not the reason .

And this is the nub of the whole issue.

We don't know what the deal is. David Beattie and the returning board clearly think it's a good deal. That's why they're back - to see the deal through.

Until there's some clarity about what the consortium intends for Thistle, all we can do is have these circular discussions about motivations and intentions.

It's incredibly frustrating, but we're just going to have to wait.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

He is protecting his investment for sure, as any sane person would do, but it's best that you keep your opinions on naivety and who is being naive to yourself.

Wasn’t meaning to be derogatory to you , but I just don’t buy the Knight in Shining armour spiel that David Beattie put out there to the media when he came back .

4 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

And this is the nub of the whole issue.

We don't know what the deal is. David Beattie and the returning board clearly think it's a good deal. That's why they're back - to see the deal through.

Until there's some clarity about what the consortium intends for Thistle, all we can do is have these circular discussions about motivations and intentions.

It's incredibly frustrating, but we're just going to have to wait.

100% on this. My opinion there too much speculation on the forum at the moment, take a step back wait for some sort of progress statement from the board of directors rather than just collectively  'bumping our gums'

• Like 1

Ironically the board are being criticised for being proactive and making sure we are not going to run at a loss this season. 

Whether its buses, transfer budgets or anything else that needs cut, I would much rather our club continues to run with no losses and continue to exist.

Everyone is taking the negatives which is fair enough but ask yourself would you rather have a club balancing the books or a team bus with no team, a transfer budget with no future, a training ground with no club?

Stay positive, who knows what is really going on at our club, but everyone coming up with rumours is just going to damage the club more.

31 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

Stay positive, who knows what is really going on at our club, but everyone coming up with rumours is just going to damage the club more.

True. As long as we all can differentiate between rumour and conjecture. The danger being if  "maybe this" or "maybe that" is repeated often enough it turns into a rumour. I would also suggest that the potentially damaging rumours are not initiated by us mere fans but are orchestrated elsewhere by axe grinders. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I’m beginning to think that our best hope here is the SFA -god help us all!!!

A Trust that holds 20+% of the shares & hasn't been fully informed of the facts as they don’t sit in the boardroom  are useless.

Another Trust who said that every ST holder  of 2 years or more should have had a voting slip but didn’t actually happen.

Beattie (& co) back on the scene again to sell up as no longer interested so with that in mind  does anyone actually believe they have the club’s best interests at heart or just their own? 

Don’t get me wrong, I thought the 3BC running of the club pretty shambolic but can’t help but wonder why Weir (in the guise of the 3BC) would get involved in day to day running of the club without any actual shares if he wasn’t an interested party to actually be in the running to purchase the club!

After ‘Save The Jags’ we’re now being shafted. 

New City Capital come in & flood us with Barnsley reserves them I’m out. We’re about to become a colt team.

1 hour ago, stuart_adam said:

Ironically the board are being criticised for being proactive and making sure we are not going to run at a loss this season. 

Whether its buses, transfer budgets or anything else that needs cut, I would much rather our club continues to run with no losses and continue to exist.

Everyone is taking the negatives which is fair enough but ask yourself would you rather have a club balancing the books or a team bus with no team, a transfer budget with no future, a training ground with no club?

Without knowing the facts or seeing the accounts it’s difficult to know what is true and what is t but my own opinion is that everything that is being done is about the sale going through ....it’s not at all clear from the current boards statements that we were heading for a loss this year  

29 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

Never trusted Beattie since his refusal to let us know which way we voted on letting newco rangers back into the 2nd tier in 2012, especially after this 

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/13234895.jags-chief-david-beattie-its-now-or-never-for-league-change/

This was on the cusp of the season we went on the win the league, right? 

37 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

Never trusted Beattie since his refusal to let us know which way we voted on letting newco rangers back into the 2nd tier in 2012, especially after this 

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/13234895.jags-chief-david-beattie-its-now-or-never-for-league-change/

To be perfectly honest, I don't give a flying fcuk about Rangers or what happened seven years ago. Seriously? We're still dredging this crap up to pass judgement on someone who's focus is currently on the future of Partick Thistle?

If this deal goes through, then David Beattie and others will get back the money they invested in the club. Money they put in at a time when it was required to guarantee our existence. These pigeons have been flying about for a good number of years, now they're coming home to roost. I don't think it's fair to criticise folk who want their money back.

Everything Beattie is on the record as saying supports the view that he has the best interests of the club at heart. I get that some folk don't trust him. I honestly don't see where that's coming from. Obviously, there's a concern that his head will be turned by the money on offer. Which brings us back to the deal. Which we have to wait for. Patiently or otherwise.

• admin locked this topic