New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

Assuming the takeover were to go through, has anything actually happened since the initial rumour which would suggest that it would be a bad thing for the club?

I was initially very sceptical (and still am), but many people were very positive, seeing it as a great opportunity. Now the vast majority seem to be against it. Wondering the reason for this change? Has the "shambles" story got people more spooked? Or the board coup? To me these are both pretty inevitable or at least understandable in the situation, and therefore not really a reason for opinions changing.

Edited by allyo

10 minutes ago, allyo said:

Assuming the takeover were to go through, has anything actually happened since the initial rumour which would suggest that it would be a bad thing for the club?

I was initially very sceptical (and still am), but many people were very positive, seeing it as a great opportunity. Now the vast majority seem to be against it. Wondering the reason for this change? Has the "shambles" story got people more spooked? Or the board coup? To me these are both pretty inevitable or at least understandable in the situation, and therefore not really a reason for opinions changing.

I think the answer is not clear yet but if we look at what has happened at Barnsley they will try and improve the team and get promotion but don’t expect investment in the stadium or a training ground or millions to be spent on players 

they are a private equity fund so they are looking for a financial return with an exit from the club in 5-7 years or earlier if the price is right 

• Like 1

There's been no communication from prospective buyers as to why they would want to buy us and what their intentions are. In an absence of anything positive or negative, people tend to the negative.

Some people have VERY strong opinions and biases as to what's going on behind the scenes, but most of us don't know where this is all going.

The drawn-out, torturous process is reaching Brexit-like misery as we all powerlessly wait for it to be sorted out one way or the other so we know where our club stands.

• Like 2

I have tended to feel that anything that got rid of the previous Board must be a good thing (or at worst a less bad thing). As regards the claim that JLow ‘led Colin Weir to Thistle’ (etc.) I feel that is speculation – here was a long term Jags supporter who wanted to blow part of his lottery win and he would have found us regardless of the route. I know I would.

If you had asked people in here 6 months ago if they were happy with the direction that the then Board was taking, I think you would have got a resounding ‘NO!’. And would they like another board (with previously successful directors on it) = resounding ‘YES!’. The fact that some of the shareholders want to sell up – that is their prerogative – and it looks to me that they took action against the old board, before their (the old board’s) incompetence and mismanagement dragged the club down and rendered their shares worthless. Who knows what the new regime will be like (Nice FC lost 5 of their last 6 games, pumped 8-1 by Burnley and 8-1 by Wolfsburg! Barnsley rattling in 3, 4 and 5, though taking a doing off the Blades on Saturday, but they were promoted last season).

I know we also lost Alan Rough – and I was sorry to see him go – but he was hardly a dynamic entrepreneur, a Jags player who couldn’t make a living out of a pub in Maryhill!

The main problem seems to be that we – the supporters – appear to be being kept in the dark (and possibly the players too, and there might be a reaction to that on Friday), though there may be legal reasons for the new board having to remain silent on some issues.

It’s sorry to see Colin Weir go, but if that’s the price for getting rid of Jlow & co., so be it.

Finally, there’s been a lot of sniping at JJ – my own feeling, frankly, is that some of it has come from a bit of personal and petty jealousy. I don’t believe for a minute that he is motivated by anything other than what he sees as best for thistle (always allowing that this forum would never entirely agree on a definition of ‘best for thistle’ – take the manager for example!).

Time will tell.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, jaf said:

the ship has sailed on finding out the answers

No, that ship hasn't sailed. The chairman and financial controller who presided over those increases in staff numbers and wages, and who subsequently suggested we would stick with similar last season, are now back at the club. You just need to find a platform to ask them that question.

9 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I know we also lost Alan Rough – and I was sorry to see him go – but he was hardly a dynamic entrepreneur, a Jags player who couldn’t make a living out of a pub in Maryhill!

To be fair there were mitigating circumstances. I could elaborate but I'm rather partial to having a pair of kneecaps.

38 minutes ago, javeajag said:

If he makes us successful he can sell us on. If we are not successful he cant. So it is in his interest to make us successful....however you define it.  

2 hours ago, allyo said:

Thev "shambles " Story was a Thistle "insider" the Player Budget Cuts were robustly denied by the Club - the Takeover is with the SFA - beyond that nothing much has changed   

5 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Thev "shambles " Story was a Thistle "insider" the Player Budget Cuts were robustly denied by the Club - the Takeover is with the SFA - beyond that nothing much has changed   

If the takeover is with the SFA does that mean the EFL(I think that’s what they are called) has already given its agreement to go ahead?

6 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

It is interesting that it’s gone all quiet on the player recruitment front not even a rumour ....

Meet the Board back on..

Ahead of Saturday’s open day there has been a change to the schedule with members of the board now taking part in a Q&A session at the end of the afternoon. As such the running order will be:

11:00 – Stadium opens

11:30 – First team training

12:00 – Partick Thistle Women and Partick Thistle Charitable Trust projects

13:00 – Signing Session

13:45 – Fans Trust meeting

14:00 – Q&A with Gary Caldwell

14:30 – Meet the board

8 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Maybe the budget has already been spent ?

Statement said the honoured the agreed budget ? 

No one has ever said the £200k - 4 players - was part of the original budget, or whether the deficit budget was extended when the player sales etc happened

Given the inconsistency between statements of all involved, that might make most sense

15 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Maybe the budget has already been spent ?

Statement said the honoured the agreed budget ? 

Yeah that was exactly my thought. That the statement could never be disproved, by evidence and therefore it was fairly empty.

54 minutes ago, jaf said:

No one has ever said the £200k - 4 players - was part of the original budget, or whether the deficit budget was extended when the player sales etc happened

Given the inconsistency between statements of all involved, that might make most sense

Or the confusion may be deliberate 

27 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

No idea - you can ask the Board in person on Saturday ? 

Plus ask David Beattie if he attempted to Contact Colin Weir when the takeover was first muted ? 

Or anything you fancy for that matter 

I could but I’m on islay !

• admin locked this topic