New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Why would they be "dubious" - the only thing they have to review is the possibility of Two Teams owned by the same people meeting each other in Europe 

Therefore its nonsense to suggest they had the same view as some of the Fans 

What is more likely is that the thought of someone getting involved with Scottish Football who may want change to the Cosy wee existence of the SFA isnt Welcome 

However they seem to cope with Dual Ownership throughout Europe but in Scotland we cant 

Ignoring Thistle - this will harm Scottish Football as its desperate  for Investment - the Multi Club Ownership Model is being used more and more 

Scotland has now stated New Money is not Welcome 

So lets hope all other Clubs get a Fan with a Massive Lotto Win to buy them - or they are going to struggle 

The Non Response the Consortium received is frankly a disgrace from our National Body and reflects the General State of Scottish Football - it will be interesting to see who benefits from the Consortium failing  - be careful what you wish for - you may just get it 

Given that you havnt seen what Conway , us or anyone else submitted to the sfa or been party to any discussions or know what the sfa have done or said your conclusions are based on literally ignorance.

at the moment we have a statement from one interested and conflicted party and to use one of your old lines .....why leak this now ? Who benefits ? 

I wouldn’t trust Conway.

11 minutes ago, javeajag said:

And that’s just from our board....

The board has made statements over this time stating that it was waiting on SFA which it has been for 4 months.

What have TFE put out since September, heehaw  Zilch yet they’ve championed themselves or self elected themselves as the voice of the fans

17 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

The board has made statements over this time stating that it was waiting on SFA which it has been for 4 months.

What have TFE put out since September, heehaw  Zilch yet they’ve championed themselves or self elected themselves as the voice of the fans

When was the last time our board put out a statement ? How many statements have been posted on the clubs website ?
a guy wanting to buy the club puts out a statement and your happy for our board  who might sell to them to say nothing 

11 minutes ago, javeajag said:

When was the last time our board put out a statement ? How many statements have been posted on the clubs website ?
a guy wanting to buy the club puts out a statement and your happy for our board  who might sell to them to say nothing 

From what I’m led to believe the story never came from Conway but from another party (Not our board) but he merely made comment when asked for one. 

I ask you again where has our self-elected fans group disappeared to?

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

For balance maybe Ian Maxwell should make public his concerns, an Investment Company trying to make money by trading players , getting Barnsley’s young players game time to sell them on , all to the benefit of Barnsley FC not our Club.

Because of his previous connection to the Club I wouldn't be surprised if Maxwell was excluded from the SFA decision making in this instance. That of course doesn't necessarily mean he can't convey a message of clarification.

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Within the home countries it’s not allowed at this moment so the FA and the SFA would have to change the rules and set a precedent and I believe it would have to be exceptional circumstances to do this .

The Daily Mail is obviously a very one sided article maybe Paul Conway wrote it himself ? 

For balance maybe Ian Maxwell should make public his concerns, an Investment Company trying to make money by trading players , getting Barnsley’s young players game time to sell them on , all to the benefit of Barnsley FC not our Club.

Just my opinion, this deal was always a non starter .

Seriously ? you have just made up a whole load of nonsense who said we were getting Barnsleys Young Players  to sell them on - also exactly what is it that we do when we get Young Players on loan from other Clubs at present - how does that benefit Thistle differently ? 

Still waiting on your answer ref communications between the Thistle Trust and TFE btw 

2 hours ago, allyo said:

I don't want to be part of a multi club ownership model. No ifs or buts. I'd rather watch an independent Partick Thistle than the Scottish branch of an international portfolio of clubs. In fact I wouldn't really be interested in watching the Scottish branch of an international portfolio of clubs. Certainly not paying for it.

This for me is more important than football success. Becoming the top club in Scotland under this model would mean very little to me. It would just be economics. It's about identity. The multi ownership thing is a massive dilution of the club as we know it.

220 pages and you'll never convince me that this would be a good thing. But that's just me. I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree.

Having said that, I do think the non response if true sounds a bit shoddy.

I accept your personal view however harsh reality is that the business model of multi club ownership is only going to grow as it reflects how business now works to achieve economies of scale - and it will be a source of much needed investment / we have the Security Blanket of the Weir money - which skews things - without it people wouldnt be so dismissive of outside investors 

And what happens when the Weir Money stops , 

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Because of his previous connection to the Club I wouldn't be surprised if Maxwell was excluded from the SFA decision making in this instance. That of course doesn't necessarily mean he can't convey a message of clarification.

I would find that wholly improper and unprofessional ( but this is the SFA we are talking about). If he were excluded then anything pertaining to any connection to any club he has been at it would make it nigh impossible to do his jo . Surely he is expected to be impartial?

Any close relationship (real or imagined) between our chair and the CEO of the SFA was a possibility I had overlooked when trying to weigh up the factors that made the Jags so attractive to the consortium.

Edited by scotty

5 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I accept your personal view however harsh reality is that the business model of multi club ownership is only going to grow as it reflects how business now works to achieve economies of scale - and it will be a source of much needed investment / we have the Security Blanket of the Weir money - which skews things - without it people wouldnt be so dismissive of outside investors 

Think the Weir money has already stopped 

7 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

From what I’m led to believe the story never came from Conway but from another party (Not our board) but he merely made comment when asked for one. 

I’m nit sure why your asking me .....you can deflect all you want but communication from the club is dreadful and poor communication from tfe doesn’t make that better 

6 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Seriously ? you have just made up a whole load of nonsense who said we were getting Barnsleys Young Players  to sell them on - also exactly what is it that we do when we get Young Players on loan from other Clubs at present - how does that benefit Thistle differently ? 

You don’t know what conways plans are ....except to make money 

6 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

How do you know Conway plans to invest in the club....you don’t.....he hasn’t invested in Barnsley as their fans will tell you .....

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

How do you know Conway plans to invest in the club....you don’t.....he hasn’t invested in Barnsley as their fans will tell you .....

It doesn't change the fact  that Business in General is following a Model that has Investment Funds Owning Multi Companies in similar Industries to achieve Economies of Scale nor the Fact that this Model is being used in Football for the same Reasons  - but as Ive said - Thistle have the Weir Money Comfort Blanket 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

You don’t know what conways plans are ....except to make money 

The fact is we already give Young Players experience from other Clubs who then sell them on - to make out this is a terrible thing because it may be Barnsley is complete nonsense - we already do it - its part of Football   

8 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

It doesn't change the fact  that Business in General is following a Model that has Investment Funds Owning Multi Companies in similar Industries to achieve Economies of Scale nor the Fact that this Model is being used in Football for the same Reasons  - but as Ive said - Thistle have the Weir Money Comfort Blanket 

There is nothing inherently good about 'Business'. 

The fact that people set up organisations to make money for their own self-interest doesn't make them competent or trustworthy.

The assumption that the role of any football club, and their fans, is to simply hand over their resources and money to such organisations because they 'know what they're doing' is risible.

'Business models' have created huge amounts of human misery and led to the downfall of not a few football clubs along the way.

There is an inherent snobbishness about many of the comments on here about the money invested in the club by Colin Weir - he only won it, he didn't get it by running a successful business ( in other words, making profits from other people), so it's not the kind of money we want. It's a 'comfort blanket', it's only a subsidy, it'll run out.

Colin Weir's millions are just as relevant as the guy Conway. More so, in my opinion, as he didn't gain them through venture capitalism.

Conway and his ilk are parasites. I don't want them anywhere near Thistle.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The conglomerate approach in business is long gone and I mean LONG gone ....they only own things to get a return which in our context is utterly bizarre .... economies of scale between us and Barnsley ?! That’s even more mental 

You seem to think if someone is in business they automatically know what they are doing even when transferring to a sector they know nothing about but you never address business people like Ashley , Murray, Romanov who nobody here except you would want anywhere near us 

59 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The fact is we already give Young Players experience from other Clubs who then sell them on - to make out this is a terrible thing because it may be Barnsley is complete nonsense - we already do it - its part of Football   

It’s not a model that has a track record of success at our level 

8 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Rather than the Weir money stops should we not more worry about consortium money since they don’t invest any and secondly if so it’s only done by saddling clubs with huge loans that are only beneficial to the consortium, while only selling players that make money directly to the consortium.

no idea how long weirs money lasts I guess it’s how long is a piece of string but in meantime it’s money for free and without having to pay any huge loan. Any money from selling a player goes back to the club and not direct to that vulture Paul Conways pocket 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Ok, just so I am clear is the proposed consortium deal now officially in the Dodo file?

3 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Ok, just so I am clear is the proposed consortium deal now officially in the Dodo file?

That's what most fans will want to know. What is the situation. Have the Cosortium pulled out, have the Board and Colin Weir come to an agreement. Surely they can give us some information. 

10 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Maybe the communication from the fans group

8 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Again if Weir is offering money for free that’s got to be better than non jags supporting Conway who solely wants money for himself and lets face it is unlikely to ever set foot in Firhill more than once a year 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alexander livingstone said:

That's what most fans will want to know. What is the situation. Have the Cosortium pulled out, have the Board and Colin Weir come to an agreement. Surely they can give us some information. 

According to the daily mail article- if it is to be believed then I understand Conway has not withdrawn but still trying to buy the club.

ican only guess that because Chien Lees name no longer comes up then presumably he is no longer involved 

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

According to the daily mail article- if it is to be believed then I understand Conway has not withdrawn but still trying to buy the club.

ican only guess that because Chien Lees name no longer comes up then presumably he is no longer involved 

It was reported weeks ago that chien lee and Conway have fallen out so it’s not even clear who wants to buy us never mind why

the clubs silence is ridiculous 

I went a bit mad and thought if I want to know what is happening with TfE why not ask them? I received a response advising that an update was coming soon. I did not ask how soon is soon so that is the best I can give you.

For the avoidance of doubt I did pledge £20pm when it was first launched, don't have any shares in the club to transfer, beyond my e-mail communications have had no interaction with them and am not part the inner workings. I do know one of the guys as we were on the Board of the Jags Trust at the same time, I sometimes sell the winning ticket in the 50/50 draw and I strongly believe you put the water in before the milk when making tea or coffee!

Edited by Fawlty Towers

• admin locked this topic