New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

We are off to LaManga in July, is this being paid for by our new owners - we need answers (okay actually we don't but that never usually stops anyone).

No we dont-  but possibly the Office Staff who were made redundant might wonder whats going on ? 

Purely from a Training Perspective-  I struggle to understand what the benefit is of Training in High Temperatures -unless your acclimatizing to compete somewhere hot  - there is certainly no Physical or Training Benefit-  in fact possibly the opposite as the intensity of training is reduced - but Im sure the "bonding" makes it all worth it 

9 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

A club at our level needs to have an identity,  with people and players within the Club that we can relate to through the good times and the bad , think it kind of mirrors life in general.

Who at our club, with the exception of Robert Reid and maybe Gerry & Banzo does this relate to now?

The longer serving players have gone.

The board we have - Ian Dodd, 9 years, Jackie Lowe 4 yrs, Robertson 1 year,  Smillie & Gannon a few months, plus Roughie  none of which (maybe Dodd) are actually investors. I notice that Gerry is not on the board anymore

19 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

No we dont-  but possibly the Office Staff who were made redundant might wonder whats going on ? 

Purely from a Training Perspective-  I struggle to understand what the benefit is of Training in High Temperatures -unless your acclimatizing to compete somewhere hot  - there is certainly no Physical or Training Benefit-  in fact possibly the opposite as the intensity of training is reduced - but Im sure the "bonding" makes it all worth it 

As you’ve been told repeatedly warm weather training IS a benefit to footballers and athletes. Jogging around dog-shite laden parks in the pissing rain for weeks at a time is totally tinpot. 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

As you’ve been told repeatedly warm weather training IS a benefit to footballers and athletes. Jogging around dog-shite laden parks in the pissing rain for weeks at a time is totally tinpot. 

Optimum Training Temperature is around 18oC  it will be circa 30oC in La Manga - and if our weather is so detrimental to training - why do we produce so many World Class Athletes ? 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

The training facilities at Lesser Hampden have certainly gone downhill.

20 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Optimum Training Temperature is around 18oC  it will be circa 30oC in La Manga - and if our weather is so detrimental to training - why do we produce so many World Class Athletes ? 

Because they all go abroad to train ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Correct. Or maybe JJ is right and all professional football managers are wrong who repeatedly take their players abroad. Or maybe Caldwell can do it the old fashioned way, run the players up Gullane sand dunes until they puke? Ah the good old days.

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Jim, maybe if those who were speaking to a wealthy consortium about selling their shares which they thought would be beneficial to the club had  taken the time to have a quiet word with those that actually have to make the decisions different decisions may have been taken.

With regard to training in warm weather I am no expert but it does seem to be something that lots of clubs do during pre season so I assume that they know what they are doing. From twitter here is a list of the clubs going to the same resort as ourselves:

"Scunthorpe United, Peterbourough, Doncaster United, Everton U23s, Swindon Town, Partick Thistle, Dundee United, AFC Bournemouth all arriving in July."

Are they all wrong and you are right?

54 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

To be fair Spain has done pretty well in producing top athletes as we:thumbsup2:ll 

38 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Because they all go abroad to train ?

Well the simple fact is they dont - when they get to a certain level they do use Altitude Training 

However if you take the Scots who competed in Rio on the Track - the vast majority trained in the UK - we had 8 Athletes who made the Olympic Finals most of them holding down jobs or studies at the same time ?

16 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Jim, maybe if those who were speaking to a wealthy consortium about selling their shares which they thought would be beneficial to the club had  taken the time to have a quiet word with those that actually have to make the decisions different decisions may have been taken.

With regard to training in warm weather I am no expert but it does seem to be something that lots of clubs do during pre season so I assume that they know what they are doing. From twitter here is a list of the clubs going to the same resort as ourselves:

"Scunthorpe United, Peterbourough, Doncaster United, Everton U23s, Swindon Town, Partick Thistle, Dundee United, AFC Bournemouth all arriving in July."

Are they all wrong and you are right?

Martin 

As Ive said optimum training temperature is 18oC  - if you were going to train abroad-  somewhere like Austria or France up in the Alps would be more beneficial -

10 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Martin 

As Ive said optimum training temperature is 18oC  - if you were going to train abroad-  somewhere like Austria or France up in the Alps would be more beneficial -

Interestingly my Spanish team Valencia always go to Northern Europe as part of pre season

8 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Martin 

It's more likely to be affordable to go to a recognised training facility in Spain rather than somewhere in the Alps! Don't know if those kind of places exist here but it may well be it's cheaper to fly to spain than to book into a UK one for a week.

18 hours ago, dunnikierjag said:

What annoys me is I have bought 2 season tickets to watch Partick Thistle. I am not interested in us becoming a feeder club for any team. I would like to know how long these negotiations have been going on. Surely no season tickets should have been sold until supporters knew what they were buying into.

17 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Well said don’t fancy us getting cast offs from these teams either 

I don't get this kind of thinking. What's the difference between loan players or "cast-offs" from Nice or Barnsley, and mercenary Scottish players?

Realistically, hardly any players playing for teams these days are local, or support the team they are playing for. Whether it's a French player on loan from Nice, or an English player on loan from Barnsley, they're still players trying to make a living in the game, just as Ryan Williamson, Shea Gordon, Joe Cardle, etc are. None of them will have signed for Thistle because of love for the club or because of loyalty, so what does it matter which of them are lining up in red & yellow on a Saturday?

Edited by Roque
  • Like 1

It seems like quite a few people on here seem desperate for this takeover not to happen, and I can't figure that one out. There are very few facts available at the current time, but we've got folk instantly dismissing them because they won't have Partick Thistle's interests at heart, or they're foreigners and therefore they must be dodgy because Vladimir Romanov and some crooks who owned Dundee a while ago were.

To me, looking at the portfolio of Chien Lee and Paul Conway, I don't think this looks like a case of some Romanov-esque dodgy dealings. These are very wealthy men who run bigger clubs than Partick Thistle, and whilst I could be wrong and they could be taking over our club to asset-strip - that doesn't seem like it would make much business sense given the current make-up of our club. Far more logical would be the suggestion of them trying to build up a network of clubs, with us somewhere nearer the bottom of the pile, where young talent can come to Firhill to learn, and any prospects that we develop ourselves have a quicker route up the ladder. But even if that is the structure they'd have planned, it doesn't mean we can't be successful as a football club at our own level.

I think any suggestions that we're dying as a club are wide of the mark, but we're certainly not flourishing either, and imo any positive change should be welcomed. The current board plod from one mistake to another, don't seem to understand or appreciate how to keep an entire fan-base on-side (hint: texting a select few supporters and expecting them to spread word of how great a job you're doing doesn't work and just creates divisions within the fans), and I have no faith in them to improve on our current predicament.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Roque said:

It seems like quite a few people on here seem desperate for this takeover not to happen, and I can't figure that one out. There are very few facts available at the current time, but we've got folk instantly dismissing them because they won't have Partick Thistle's interests at heart, or they're foreigners and therefore they must be dodgy because Vladimir Romanov and some crooks who owned Dundee a while ago were.

To me, looking at the portfolio of Chien Lee and Paul Conway, I don't think this looks like a case of some Romanov-esque dodgy dealings. These are very wealthy men who run bigger clubs than Partick Thistle, and whilst I could be wrong and they could be taking over our club to asset-strip - that doesn't seem like it would make much business sense given the current make-up of our club. Far more logical would be the suggestion of them trying to build up a network of clubs, with us somewhere nearer the bottom of the pile, where young talent can come to Firhill to learn, and any prospects that we develop ourselves have a quicker route up the ladder. But even if that is the structure they'd have planned, it doesn't mean we can't be successful as a football club at our own level.

I think any suggestions that we're dying as a club are wide of the mark, but we're certainly not flourishing either, and imo any positive change should be welcomed. The current board plod from one mistake to another, don't seem to understand or appreciate how to keep an entire fan-base on-side (hint: texting a select few supporters and expecting them to spread word of how great a job you're doing doesn't work and just creates divisions within the fans), and I have no faith in them to improve on our current predicament.

I agree.....apart from Alan Rough how many of the current Board are  ‘Thistle minded or fans ‘.....actually none so why people are going out on a limb for them I really don’t know. None of the current board have bought any shares or brought any real investment and they haven’t  done a very good job over the last two years.

consolidating our ownership of shares will be a good thing ....currently we have over half our shares owned by people with no involvement in the club and a board with no financial interest in the club

for every Romanov there is a Sheik Mansoor so making generalisations doesn’t work....they can’t assess strip because we have no assets ! We are a £2-3m company that own part if a football stadium that’s it. 

Its time for change 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

I agree.....apart from Alan Rough how many of the current Board are  ‘Thistle minded or fans ‘.....actually none so why people are going out on a limb for them I really don’t know. None of the current board have bought any shares or brought any real investment and they haven’t  done a very good job over the last two years.

consolidating our ownership of shares will be a good thing ....currently we have over half our shares owned by people with no involvement in the club and a board with no financial interest in the club

for every Romanov there is a Sheik Mansoor so making generalisations doesn’t work....they can’t assess strip because we have no assets ! We are a £2-3m company that own part if a football stadium that’s it. 

Its time for change 

Playing devils advocate on this and I’ve got an open mind but if you make an investment in something surely you’re looking for a return somewhere along the line whether that’s short term or further on down the line .

You quite rightly say we only owe half the stadium but I would reckon part of the deal would be to buy out Propcos share . We’ve got a fan base of roughly 3000 supporters and possibly a latent fan base of 1500/2000 supporters which is untapped 

In the Championship there is no discernible television deal , so not a great deal of money there as goes with the prize money in our division.

If they were going to invest in our Club, the only way they would have any chance of getting any return would be the risky business of trading players, it works at Celtic at a different level ( Wanyama, Van Dyck etc ) buying players at a good price and selling them on for good money)

Maybe they’re going long term and focus on the Academy to coach players and bring them through and sell them on.

We’re all speculating just now till we know more facts.

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Playing devils advocate on this and I’ve got an open mind but if you make an investment in something surely you’re looking for a return somewhere along the line whether that’s short term or further on down the line .

You quite rightly say we only owe half the stadium but I would reckon part of the deal would be to buy out Propcos share . We’ve got a fan base of roughly 3000 supporters and possibly a latent fan base of 1500/2000 supporters which is untapped 

In the Championship there is no discernible television deal , so not a great deal of money there as goes with the prize money in our division.

If they were going to invest in our Club, the only way they would have any chance of getting any return would be the risky business of trading players, it works at Celtic at a different level ( Wanyama, Van Dyck etc ) buying players at a good price and selling them on for good money)

Maybe they’re going long term and focus on the Academy to coach players and bring them through and sell them on.

Looking at what they have done so far it will be about developing players to sell on including a feeder system.....they are on record as saying they are long term investors 

7 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The only people who can answer the questions that are being asked are those involved in the consortium and, at the moment, they don't appear willing to do so. If this does happen I would hope there would be a very clear statement about what the aims are, how they plan to achieve them and what timescale is involved.

32 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Exactly why I’m still sceptical of any of this being true. It makes no sense to invest in Scottish football and less to invest in a club like ours. If you want a small club to develop young players you would go to an EU country with easier immigration laws. I have seen nothing anywhere (including the Mail) which didn’t originate on here and no mentions of any verifiable sources, even after 3 days.

• admin locked this topic