New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

Our finances are simple .....our turnover in the premier league was £4.6m......this season coming will be a least £2m less..... then you can add back in some one offs eg Lindsay fee from stoke 

even I as a great defender of the training ground and the boards handing of it would concede the chair has gone back on her word at the agm on this matter and I for one have lost some confidence 

1 hour ago, jaf said:

I am not sure why you mention “not just potential sponsors”? 

Well you or someone else mentioned dissatisfaction regarding how their communications were dealt with. Others have mentioned other aspects where their e;queries have also failed to get a response. 

Anyway we can be critical or supportive of the board and may all have different opinions. 

But owners choose  boards. And if the owners change and believe the board do a great job, they may be retained, who knows. So yet again it’s a case of wait and see. 

15 hours ago, jaf said:

Anyway we can be critical or supportive of the board and may all have different opinions. 

But owners choose  boards. And if the owners change and believe the board do a great job, they may be retained, who knows. So yet again it’s a case of wait and see. 

I think this is the point.....which if our owners chose the board ? I’m not sure they did .....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, javeajag said:

Our finances are simple .....our turnover in the premier league was £4.6m......this season coming will be a least £2m less..... then you can add back in some one offs eg Lindsay fee from stoke 

even I as a great defender of the training ground and the boards handing of it would concede the chair has gone back on her word at the agm on this matter and I for one have lost some confidence 

The average Income previously in the Championship was circa £1.5MN  with the part Parachute Payment & Lindsay Money I would guess we are looking at circa £2MN 

But we ran a very tight ship in the past on  Multi Levels - and had support via Strong Business Connections   - as Ive said before - its 100% about Finances in a small Club it dictates everything 

In the Chairman's statement she said they hadn't touched the cash reserves in last Years Turnover - our forecast Budget was £2.5MN - which Im assuming we spent 

Now thats a big Number to go through in a Small Club Like Thistle in the Championship - especially when you just avoid relegation last Game of the Season - Cash Burn is always a danger in Small Clubs - you need to have experience and tight budget Controls - now people can say what they want about Billy Allan - David Beattie - Greig Brown but they had vast experience in running Businesses - our success was very much a result of ensuring the Business Part of the Club was run tightly .

Its all about the Money and always has been for Thistle 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

So if the Ratcliffe fella is indeed buying Nice it doesn't say much for Chien Lee's long term strategy. 

Who knows what his strategy is for  us ... the long term strategy comment from Conway was in relation to Barnsley 

I would really, really like something that moves this forward.

As it stands, there appears to be nada, zero, nowt that confirms or denies the stories, maybe fairy stories,  about our future as a club.

No-one in the last 38 pages of this thread seems to have definitive evidence that we are either subject of a takeover or not.  Sure, we can all claim that silence is either consent or denial.

But it doesn't add up.

The Boards' silence is quite astonishing, unless they are in secret negotiations.

If they are not in secret negotiations, why the silence?

Otherwise they ought to spell out their position.

Supporters are always the last to know.

Which isn't how it should be.

• Like 1

i always got told that if anything like this happening is normally non disclosure to make things comfortable as a business generally colleagues last to know unless published

us as fans will wonder what is happening but the only thing we should do is back the team and remain hopefull for something good to happen

I suppose if you substitute "us fans" with "us customers" then it would be highly unlikely for the business in question to keep its customers informed. Or indeed acknowledge if a takeover bid has been made or is in the offing. Not that I really agree fans of a club are simply customers, or should be treated the same.

when dixons and carphone merged it was announced months after the merger pretty much happend i work for currys so i can tell you about that route of things

there were rumours before press caught hold of it apart from that it was silent

so same might be happening except rather than merger maybe a buyout but who knows its all hearsay

I renewed my ST over the phone on Friday. GB took the call so I asked him if the rumours of a takeover were true. He said to expect a statement this week but wouldn't expand, not surprisingly. Always found the big fella to be very approachable and likeable. Hopefully he's still in place whatever happens.

the thing is that these conversations are always happening at a general level in any business.  Then, as Jagsman says, as soon as the conversations get serious all parties will be sworn into confidentiality agreements until a deal is concluded, one way or another.

In the case of quoted businesses like Dixons and Carphone the agreement and negotiation will be based on a specific share price which becomes market sensitive information and could result in insider-trading if known or leaked.

While confirmation of discussions over a possible deal would be unlikely to influence the share price or share dealing at Firhill it could have an effect on the buying party's share price, credit rating or other business activity (perhaps interest in another club or business) that they are involved in elsewhere and if ultimately 'no deal' is the result then just the talk of a deal elsewhere could be very costly to their business.

I'm sure we'll hear from the club just as soon as they are able to comment, one way or the other.

On 6/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, Jordanhill Jag said:

The average Income previously in the Championship was circa £1.5MN  with the part Parachute Payment & Lindsay Money I would guess we are looking at circa £2MN 

But we ran a very tight ship in the past on  Multi Levels - and had support via Strong Business Connections   - as Ive said before - its 100% about Finances in a small Club it dictates everything 

In the Chairman's statement she said they hadn't touched the cash reserves in last Years Turnover - our forecast Budget was £2.5MN - which Im assuming we spent 

Now thats a big Number to go through in a Small Club Like Thistle in the Championship - especially when you just avoid relegation last Game of the Season - Cash Burn is always a danger in Small Clubs - you need to have experience and tight budget Controls - now people can say what they want about Billy Allan - David Beattie - Greig Brown but they had vast experience in running Businesses - our success was very much a result of ensuring the Business Part of the Club was run tightly .

Its all about the Money and always has been for Thistle 

Is Thistle supposed to be a profit making business, or do they budget to break even ? 

If we aren’t trying to make a profit, what is the point in having a £2.5M budget and not spending it ?

14 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Is Thistle supposed to be a profit making business, or do they budget to break even ? 

If we aren’t trying to make a profit, what is the point in having a £2.5M budget and not spending it ?

Because we are a Club without any overdraft facilities nor any Board Members who are capable of Funding us - you dont take all the Parachute Money and bet it on Promotion the next Season - You dont keep the same Non Football Infrastructure you had in the Championship as you had in the Premier - your income just dropped by near 50% - you adjust your resources to reflect that and keep monies in reserve if you dont get promoted  

28 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Because we are a Club without any overdraft facilities nor any Board Members who are capable of Funding us - you dont take all the Parachute Money and bet it on Promotion the next Season - You dont keep the same Non Football Infrastructure you had in the Championship as you had in the Premier - your income just dropped by near 50% - you adjust your resources to reflect that and keep monies in reserve if you dont get promoted  

He’s not a board member- but would Colin Weir not have assisted

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

You haven’t read what I wrote. Earlier you said that our budget in the Premiership was 4M and last year had dropped to 2.5M. We have also been told that we didn’t dip into reserves last year. So again, I ask,why shouldn’t we spend the budget if it is affordable ?

• admin locked this topic