doolan

harrywrag

58 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

For me, Dolan and Erskine were part of the problem, not a solution. I’ll not dispute that they have the skill, but neither were able to last 90 mins. Normally they would be subbed after 60 mins, using up 2 of our 3 subs and restricting the managers options to change things around late in a game. (WhetherArchibald, Caldwell or McCall had the nouse to do it is another question, but they didn’t have it as an option. 

As a result we more often than not fell away late in games, often because we were carrying a player who ideally should have been subbed earlier. Happy to see either coming back in a purely coaching capacity, providing they are any good at it, but playing days, even at League One level is now behind them. As for use as a backup, I’d much rather see our younger players given a chance.

Chris Erskine would be a great asset to our Club if he came back on and off the park , latterly in their last season at Firhill  the genius that is Gary Caldwell deemed Doolan and Erskine surplus to requirements, partly because he thought he was getting undermined due to senior pros having an opinion in the dressing room .

Chris Erskine is only a year older than Brian Graham , played in the top league last year and fitness isn’t an issue.  
IMO he could easily play at Division 1 level , as far as I know he would be happy to come back on a part time contract.

It’s a no brainer from me , good player to help us get back up , wouldn’t cost a lot in Wages and importantly he cares about our Club .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Chris Erskine would be a great asset to our Club if he came back on and off the park , latterly in their last season at Firhill  the genius that is Gary Caldwell deemed Doolan and Erskine surplus to requirements, partly because he thought he was getting undermined due to senior pros having an opinion in the dressing room .

Chris Erskine is only a year older than Brian Graham , played in the top league last year and fitness isn’t an issue.  
IMO he could easily play at Division 1 level , as far as I know he would be happy to come back on a part time contract.

It’s a no brainer from me , good player to help us get back up , wouldn’t cost a lot in Wages and importantly he cares about our Club .

He did not feature much in the top flight through injury last season. How do you know fitness is not an injury given he was injured last year.  
Did very little in his last year and a half at the club and not much at the last year and a half since he has been away.  Always be a legend but that doesn’t mean we bring them back. Archie is a legend but I don’t think bringing him back has been a great boost to the club at all

18 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He did not feature much in the top flight through injury last season. How do you know fitness is not an injury given he was injured last year.  
Did very little in his last year and a half at the club and not much at the last year and a half since he has been away.  Always be a legend but that doesn’t mean we bring them back. Archie is a legend but I don’t think bringing him back has been a great boost to the club at all

No idea, why Archie came back as he was part of the reason we got relegated from the SPFL, but it’s not really a real comparison, one is a manager and one is a player.

Chris Erskine has never been an injury prone football player over his career, he did have an operation last year but says he’s fit now . He would be a mentor for the younger players and a great role model as well .

We have no one just now who actually runs at players and creates chances , IMO in the first division he would sail it .

25 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Chris Erskine has never been an injury prone football player over his career, he did have an operation last year but says he’s fit now . He would be a mentor for the younger players and a great role model.

That's what I'm getting at. There's no point having a role model if you don't have the younger players he can be a role model to. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's what I'm getting at. There's no point having a role model if you don't have the younger players he can be a role model to. 

We’ve still got a lot of young players , Sena , Lyons , Penrice , Gordon , Sneddon, Rudden and I would expect Dean Watson and Andy Rodden to push on as well , still a fairly young team 

56 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Bugger this role model. If either Dolan or Erskine are to be employees then they need to earn their wage. We don’t pay good money for role models. We pay for players and coaches. I don’t think we need any more coaching staff and I don’t believe either can play for 90 minutes competitively.

Disagree about Erskine, he’s probably fitter than the majority of our squad , he could easily play at our level.

Players are playing now till they’re nearly 40 , he’s only 33 yrs old .

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Disagree about Erskine, he’s probably fitter than the majority of our squad , he could easily play at our level.

Players are playing now till they’re nearly 40 , he’s only 33 yrs old .

Not having a go How do you honestly know he is fit if he was carrying an injury last season. Last year and a bit I don’t recall him playing 90 minutes for livi, I don’t recall many 90 minute performances in his last year and a half for us either 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not having a go How do you honestly know he is fit if he was carrying an injury last season. Last year and a bit I don’t recall him playing 90 minutes for livi, I don’t recall many 90 minute performances in his last year and a half for us either 

Not picking on any player in particular more as an example, how do we know if Lewis Mansell will be fit for next season as he was injured for most of it and I don’t remember Mansell playing for 90 mins .  Even if Erskine wasn’t a regular starter to bring on a player of his quality in the last 30 mins to try and win a game is a no brainer for me .

Its a team game with the substitutes as well who should come on and make a difference.

34 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not picking on any player in particular more as an example, how do we know if Lewis Mansell will be fit for next season as he was injured for most of it and I don’t remember Mansell playing for 90 mins .  Even if Erskine wasn’t a regular starter to bring on a player of his quality in the last 30 mins to try and win a game is a no brainer for me .

Its a team game with the substitutes as well who should come on and make a difference.

I kind of get the impression that mccall sees mansell as surplus to requirements.

i certainly wouldn’t be signing erskine for 30 minutes a game or even 60 minutes if we can get someone far younger who can run for 90 minutes 

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I kind of get the impression that mccall sees mansell as surplus to requirements.

i certainly wouldn’t be signing erskine for 30 minutes a game or even 60 minutes if we can get someone far younger who can run for 90 minutes 

Probably right re Mansell, not sure what kind of player you think we’re going to get on roughly £300 a week ?