Alex Jones is a Jag

Dick Dastardly

8 hours ago, TartanC4 said:

https://youtu.be/L1s2jqeRN2o 

Looks a good addition to the squad. 

URL did not work for me, but in the Bradford City highlights I saw, he’s got some skill - including nifty footwork and playmaking ability - when healthy.

Hope this turns out to be a Banzo-type situation where we stick with the guy and he pays off in the long term.

23 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Hope he does well but unfortunately strikes me as an Archie type English league striker who will disappoint.  Hopefully proves me wrong 

That was my first impression but he's scored a few goals, which gives me some hope.

• Like 1

So Caldwell signs a forward most of us have never heard of. Can anyone on here name a forward within our budget we really should be signing?  I've got grave doubts about our manager but I'm not going to, and I've certainly no qualification whatsoever to, question the quality or non quality of Alex Jones. 

My biggest worry would be that Jones turns out to be a bit player and we end up having to rely on a loan signing like Rudden. That would just about finish any faith I'd have in Caldwell. Meantime I'm happy to give him the benefit of doubt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

So Caldwell signs a forward most of us have never heard of. Can anyone on here name a forward within our budget we really should be signing?  I've got grave doubts about our manager but I'm not going to, and I've certainly no qualification whatsoever to, question the quality or non quality of Alex Jones. 

My biggest worry would be that Jones turns out to be a bit player and we end up having to rely on a loan signing like Rudden. That would just about finish any faith I'd have in Caldwell. Meantime I'm happy to give him the benefit of doubt. 

Most of us had grave doubts about the manager with his appalling run of form last December, I gave him 3 games in January to win or be sacked as I had lost any confidence in him.  However he brought in his own players in January, got rid of some absolutely horrendous players and won the games  and haven’t we only been beaten something like 3 times in 2019.  I’d seriously question people having doubts about that run.

if it’s the Doolan thing IMO was the right decision, 2 goals against a non league team does not disprove it. The way it was handled was of course wrong about the announcement on the website but both low and Britton admitted that was their responsibility and they made a mistake with it.

If signing poor strikers from English leagues was a sackable offence Archie would have got his jotters years ago. There’s no evidence that jones is a poor signing yet, I was just a bit underwhelmed. I would have no problem if we did get Zak Rudden on loan as our ultimate aim is to get promotion and Rudden in any team will help that.

while yesterday’s performance was not great we on the whole deserved the win and got it. We have played Airdrie a few times in the cup in recent years and have not put in great performances and only won by one goal.  In fact premier league teams Hamilton, Hibs and St Mirren all got worse results than us against lower league teams 

long way to go and the seasons only just starting but imo is doing reasonably well, if not spectacularly but is certainly nowhere near the grave doubts category.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Most of us had grave doubts about the manager with his appalling run of form last December, I gave him 3 games in January to win or be sacked as I had lost any confidence in him.  However he brought in his own players in January, got rid of some absolutely horrendous players and won the games  and haven’t we only been beaten something like 3 times in 2019.  I’d seriously question people having doubts about that run.

if it’s the Doolan thing IMO was the right decision, 2 goals against a non league team does not disprove it. The way it was handled was of course wrong about the announcement on the website but both low and Britton admitted that was their responsibility and they made a mistake with it.

If signing poor strikers from English leagues was a sackable offence Archie would have got his jotters years ago. There’s no evidence that jones is a poor signing yet, I was just a bit underwhelmed. I would have no problem if we did get Zak Rudden on loan as our ultimate aim is to get promotion and Rudden in any team will help that.

while yesterday’s performance was not great we on the whole deserved the win and got it. We have played Airdrie a few times in the cup in recent years and have not put in great performances and only won by one goal.  In fact premier league teams Hamilton, Hibs and St Mirren all got worse results than us against lower league teams 

long way to go and the seasons only just starting but imo is doing reasonably well, if not spectacularly but is certainly nowhere near the grave doubts category.

ran outta likes but well said mate

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If Doolan goes on to score 10 / 15 goals this season which I think he will as he’s now got a manager who knows how to play to his strengths will you change your mind ?  

Looking at Mansell and Kenny Miller albeit only on 1 game , just my opinion they won’t get anywhere near that . 

Not beating a branch on Kenny Miller who will do a job for us , but the last time KM got double figures was Sevco promotion season 4 yrs ago ( 14 goals ) 

Was a bad season by Dools standards but some of the guys mentioned like Brian Graham and Nicky Clark only scored 8 goals each as well .

Just my opinion but we’ve got no chance of getting anyone near the quality of Kris Doolan, wasn’t just his goals , was his movement and bringing others into play .

Should never have happened.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If Doolan goes on to score 10 / 15 goals this season which I think he will as he’s now got a manager who knows how to play to his strengths will you change your mind ?  

Looking at Mansell and Kenny Miller albeit only on 1 game , just my opinion they won’t get anywhere near that . 

Not beating a branch on Kenny Miller who will do a job for us , but the last time KM got double figures was Sevco promotion season 4 yrs ago ( 14 goals ) 

Was a bad season by Dools standards but some of the guys mentioned like Brian Graham and Nicky Clark only scored 8 goals each as well .

Just my opinion but we’ve got no chance of getting anyone near the quality of Kris Doolan, wasn’t just his goals , was his movement and bringing others into play .

Actually with regards to that when we approached Ayr about Shankland, McCall wanted Doolan and erskine in exchange and we said no.  Had it went ahead could of been an entirely different season for everyone including Archie. 

Regarding Kenny Miller I’m still unsure if he will be a hit or miss- time will tell

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Actually with regards to that when we approached Ayr about Shankland, McCall wanted Doolan and erskine in exchange and we said no.  Had it went ahead could of been an entirely different season for everyone including Archie. 

Do you know for a fact that happened? And when did you hear this? It must have been very recent. 

31 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I hope Dools has a great season and scores lots of goals. However I'm concentrating on my team. Not Ayr United....or Livvy. You are a footballing genius if you can predict future goals scored by individual players after one game. 

2 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I hope Dools has a great season and scores lots of goals. However I'm concentrating on my team. Not Ayr United....or Livvy. You are a footballing genius if you can predict future goals scored by individual players after one game. 

Not really, Mansell scored 1 goal last season, KM 8 goals ,  as I said Kenny Miller will do a job for us but I don’t think he’s the prolific goal scorer that Caldwell said he was looking for .

20 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Not always we see sense on this site but this is one of the better ones. I can't see how anyone blames GC for last season when his record with his players was actually quite good. If he has a first half of the coming season like the first half we had last year then he can be judged. If he has a first half of the season like his second half last season then I think he'll be OK. 

• Like 1