League cup - last 16

QXBoy

2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

If all or at least the vast majority of the ties are "higher teams" at home to "lower teams", in terms of league position, financial resources etc, then the possibility of surprises is minimised.

Is that not the entire point of seeding. If you have seeding then the seeded teams should have an advantage.

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Is that not the entire point of seeding. If you have seeding then the seeded teams should have an advantage.

Not necessarily, and certainly not here when 4 of the seeds have done nothing yet in the competition to earn their seeding. 

I would see the main purpose in seeding as  being to keep stronger teams apart until the later stages of the tournament, rather than to give them an easier time.

Seeded clubs
Celtic
Rangers
Kilmarnock
Aberdeen
Motherwell
Ross County
Livingston
Hibernian

Unseeded clubs 
Partick Thistle
Dunfermline Athletic
Heart of Midlothian
Forfar Athletic
Hamilton Academical
Greenock Morton

Plus two of: 
Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Dundee
East Fife

The cynic might suggest the "Old Firm (sic)" might get home ties against Forfar/Morton/Dunfermline. I suspect a trip to Dingwall might be our reward - but nice to be in the draw anyway.

24 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

With Dundee United, St. Johnstone and Dundee all out, we might get a bye to the next round.

Either that or Aberdeen away.

Dundee are not out (yet)

If  they beat ICT tomorrow, they qualify as group winners.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

There is no justification for seeding.

It reduces this competition to farce, a carve up to ensure the bigger teams progress 

I think the seeding in the mini leagues is sensible (as is the regionalisation) but I'm sure that's not your gripe. I too don't like the seeding in the knockout stage.

I can see the logic to a point that in theory it gives some clubs who've qualified after 3 games something to play for in the last round of fixtures. In practice tho' I don't think it works out that way. On one hand qualifying as a seeded club increases your chances of progressing but on the other hand not qualifying increases the likelihood of a decent pay day. For instance I'm sure the powers that be at Forfar will happier they're not seeded.

In assumption that the mini leagues need an incentive to generate competitive interest, I'm sure there's other ways of doing so rather than seeding in the knockout stage. 

Anyone at home would be nice. Having the away fans in the JHS creates a better atmosphere but I doubt this set up would be allowed if we have "bigger" opposition.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think the seeding in the mini leagues is sensible (as is the regionalisation) but I'm sure that's not your gripe. I too don't like the seeding in the knockout stage.

I can see the logic to a point that in theory it gives some clubs who've qualified after 3 games something to play for in the last round of fixtures. In practice tho' I don't think it works out that way. On one hand qualifying as a seeded club increases your chances of progressing but on the other hand not qualifying increases the likelihood of a decent pay day. For instance I'm sure the powers that be at Forfar will happier they're not seeded.

In assumption that the mini leagues need an incentive to generate competitive interest, I'm sure there's other ways of doing so rather than seeding in the knockout stage. 

I have always enjoyed the mini leagues. I understand logic of regionalisation but would personally would have welcomed a visit to Elgin or Cove rather than new Duggy.

Perhaps our board are looking for 1 of the old scum but please no! I’ve had enough of ‘big paydays’. We surely have enough money now after the sale of Fitzy(tragic that we hardly saw him play).

I just want to progress as far as possible and I’m sure most all clubs’ fans feel the same. Livi at home would be good, a test of how far we’ve progressed(or otherwise)

• Like 1