Vs.Tail of the bank Friday 23.

Jimmy McD

3 minutes ago, macaroon said:

When Billy Dodds was Dodds was talking us up at 2-0 I started to worry, he's like a daft wee boy, mind you one or two on this site with their in game comments knee jerk responses to goals are  infantile as Dodds.  

Kenny Miler far from the worst although his cheating dive in the first half was a red neck.   Sadly Banzo no longer has 90 minutes in him.

Billy Dodds is a fud from New Cumnock (you never knew that though,, did you??) .

Unable to disagree with you about Banzo though.............

Once again we're down to the leadership on the park issue or rather, lack of leadership.  2-0 to the good we either press on or shut up shop, there's convincing arguments for either. What do we do? Some try to shut up shop while others keep attempting to press. ******* chaotic. I can blame Caldwell for much but he's powerless to change attitudes during a game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Once again we're down to the leadership on the park issue or rather, lack of leadership.  2-0 to the good we either press on or shut up shop, there's convincing arguments for either. What do we do? Some try to shut up shop while others keep attempting to press. ******* chaotic. I can blame Caldwell for much but he's powerless to change attitudes during a game. 

While I don't disagree with what you say. Caldwell has on a number of occasions emphasised about the players he signs has the right character. Not a lot had the right character after Morton scored their first goal. Same as a few weeks ago against Utd.

“It’s back to the drawing board”  Not really the quote you want to hear 3 league games into the season Gary.

Our style of football is on the whole awful to watch.

Our fitness levels look poor.

A good few of our player look like they have no desire for the jersey.

We have a real disconnection between management/board and fans.

We sign guys like Harkins, Miller and Fox on decent length contracts who essentially are a waste of a wage (not forgetting Mitch Austin).

And this is just on the footballing side before we get into all the off the pitch shenanigans.

Grim times at present.

3 minutes ago, elevenone said:

“It’s back to the drawing board”  Not really the quote you want to hear 3 league games into the season Gary.

Our style of football is on the whole awful to watch.

Our fitness levels look poor.

A good few of our player look like they have no desire for the jersey.

We have a real disconnection between management/board and fans.

We sign guys like Harkins, Miller and Fox on decent length contracts who essentially are a waste of a wage (not forgetting Mitch Austin).

And this is just on the footballing side before we get into all the off the pitch shenanigans.

Grim times at present.

I went to like your post, but I don't like it. But it is very true. So I agree. Can we have an agree symbol or whatever they are called?

6 hours ago, sandy said:

Matt, let the scales from your eyes fall and see what GC actually is? A fake manager 

Difficult to avoid that conclusion even only 3 games into the season. Some utter dross wearing that jersey tonight, we seem to have swapped 'Archie's duds' for Big Bawface's duds.

League table has a chillingly familiar look. Bunter must be rubbing his  hands at the thought of an easy 3 points next week, and the Bunnet the week after.

If it walks like a fud, and talks like a fud ...

Watched the first half which I think they had to change the ball due to how hard it was being kicked the way anyone was facing. We were 2 goals to the good which were well taken. Couldn't bear watching the 2nd so was doing a few things about the house, still 2 up after 70 minutes, checked it again 10 minutes later and were 3-2 down. I couldn't believe it but really in hindsight it was very believable. Its embarrassing and a kick in the soccer chuckies again. 

I notice Caldwell says in post match talk that he told the players they hadn't played well in the first half (mostly true though bits of good play) but having managed to get two goals they had to up their game and retain the ball better in midfield.  Now I know it was the players' fault they didn't do this but what is worrying is that they don't seem to be listening to him.  We've seen from the start of the season that we're mostly a team of two halves; good or at least OK in one, rubbish in the other.  That suggests whatever the manager is saying they are ignoring him.  And that they don't give much of a damn about the fans either despite what they say in interviews.  This is a tight, tight league and a bad start can have you involved in the relegation battle pretty quickly.

Seen a few comments that say our style of play isn't great to watch but I don't think we have a style of play under GC. He seems very reliant on players producing individual moments to get us goals rather than any recognisable game plan. Last night we had no width and played a king of 4-3-1-2 but against county we started with Cardle and Gordon providing width in a more orthodox 4-4-2, 2 games prior at Alloa we are playing 3-5-2 so how do you develop a style of play when the basic formation of the team changes so much?

Looked to me like the players were confused on what they doing which I think stems from the manager trying to be too clever, constantly changing team formations and overloading them with instructions on how to counter opposition tactics rather than imposing our play on them. We are awful to watch and we really need to decide what system we are playing and stick to it.

Also we keep playing Bannigan as the holding midfielder which is not his position. He needs to be further up the pitch playing passes not constantly worrying about protecting the defence.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Bunny said:

I notice Caldwell says in post match talk that he told the players they hadn't played well in the first half (mostly true though bits of good play) but having managed to get two goals they had to up their game and retain the ball better in midfield.  Now I know it was the players' fault they didn't do this but what is worrying is that they don't seem to be listening to him.  We've seen from the start of the season that we're mostly a team of two halves; good or at least OK in one, rubbish in the other.  That suggests whatever the manager is saying they are ignoring him.  And that they don't give much of a damn about the fans either despite what they say in interviews.  This is a tight, tight league and a bad start can have you involved in the relegation battle pretty quickly.

12 minutes ago, laukat said:

Seen a few comments that say our style of play isn't great to watch but I don't think we have a style of play under GC. He seems very reliant on players producing individual moments to get us goals rather than any recognisable game plan. Last night we had no width and played a king of 4-3-1-2 but against county we started with Cardle and Gordon providing width in a more orthodox 4-4-2, 2 games prior at Alloa we are playing 3-5-2 so how do you develop a style of play when the basic formation of the team changes so much?

Looked to me like the players were confused on what they doing which I think stems from the manager trying to be too clever, constantly changing team formations and overloading them with instructions on how to counter opposition tactics rather than imposing our play on them. We are awful to watch and we really need to decide what system we are playing and stick to it.

Also we keep playing Bannigan as the holding midfielder which is not his position. He needs to be further up the pitch playing passes not constantly worrying about protecting the defence.

Not much to disagree with in those two posts nor for that matter with much of  the manager's post match comments. The two bits highlighted above hit home.

Not having another dig at Caldwell's power point presentation but when taking in tandem with the "meet the manager" gigs it's clear he's organised, focused and an ultra-detail person. In fact all good managerial qualities. In addition he normally makes well timed sensible substitutions.

That kinda brings the other side of management popping into question. By that I mean communication plus both group and "one on one" motivational skills.  Whatever, something is going clearly amiss between preparation and what we churn out on the pitch. I mention the lack of leadership on park but in truth a well motivated team who know what they're supposed to be doing both collectively and individually shouldn't necessarily require on the pitch leadership. 

Maybe there's more than one way to "lose a dressing room". Perhaps the players are lost in confusion?

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not much to disagree with in those two posts nor for that matter with much of  the manager's post match comments. The two bits highlighted above hit home.

Not having another dig at Caldwell's power point presentation but when taking in tandem with the "meet the manager" gigs it's clear he's organised, focused and an ultra-detail person. In fact all good managerial qualities. In addition he normally makes well timed sensible substitutions.

That kinda brings the other side of management popping into question. By that I mean communication plus both group and "one on one" motivational skills.  Whatever, something is going clearly amiss between preparation and what we churn out on the pitch. I mention the lack of leadership on park but in truth a well motivated team who know what they're supposed to be doing both collectively and individually shouldn't necessarily require on the pitch leadership. 

Maybe there's more than one way to "lose a dressing room". Perhaps the players are lost in confusion?

I think you are right

What came across to me at the meet the manager meeting I attended was Caldwell does a huge amount of prep and analysis. However his explanation of the Hearts game I think shows were it causes problems.

He explained that they had done a huge amount of work defending Hearts corner routines and prepped the players with particular tactics for that game.  The point he tried to make was the tactics for defending the corners worked but what he didn't show was that our general play suffered in trying combat Hearts tactics. At some points we had all of players in the box on defensive duties and no outball.

For a cup game that meant the players had to learn all that information in a couple of days. If our players were capable of absorbing that amount of information and putting it into action they wouldn't be playing and struggling in the championship. In my opinion players at our level need a consistent and simple message not one that changes depending on opposition and whatever well intentioned brainwave the manager has came up with.

I was going to ask Gerry Britton how GC's approach compared to Lambie's as I suspect Lambie gave much simpler tactics and instructions knowing the strengths and weaknesses of his team.

I’d like to know what was said at ht 

I took a friend, not a football aficionado and not a tactical genius. After 50 minutes he said’Why are Thistle wasting time already? They should be killing this mob off. But they are inviting the oppo to attack. This isn’t going to end well’

Because of Morton’s ineptitude I didn’t see it coming but I should appreciate that our ineptitude can easily usurp any opposition’s.

BTW I thought Miller and Penrice were good.

Jones was absolutely awful, ceding possession at every opportunity.

Mansell has only played well as a sub.

31 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

LIB  , the changing tactics and formations is a problem, possibly too much focus on what the opposition can do and not playing to our strengths but bottom line watching some of these players last night they are basically not good enough to challenge at the top end of the league.