Who Will Replace Caldwell?

Semi Nurainen

Just now, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Surprised Danny Lennon not interested.  He seems to have got his mojo back.  Doing well with Clyde.  Won a cup with St Mirren.  Thistle would give him an oportunity to get back to a higher level.

It seems that Clyde said no. And Lennon respected that decision and promptly signed a contract extension. 

8 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Ayr supporters on P & B virtually unanimous that he's going (along with Doolan and Murdoch and Scally), to the extent they're now deliberating who should succeed him. Back story of Bunter not being given enough dosh (which they seem to think is the case).

Hope they're right, but it's not in the bag until it's in the bag … and it's not in the bag yet.

Ah! Murdoch their midfielder who is out for the rest of the season.

6 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Surprised Danny Lennon not interested.  He seems to have got his mojo back.  Doing well with Clyde.  Won a cup with St Mirren.  Thistle would give him an oportunity to get back to a higher level.

He’s doing relatively well at Clyde I think there’s a few with red and yellow glasses on regarding Danny - they are 6th in league one and they got promotion from league 2, but had the highest budget in that division.

he did win the league cup which rightly should give him legendary status at st Mirren park but his league positions with st Mirren were not that great- finished 11th a couple of times when there were no playoffs then.

didnt have a great time at Alloa. Also surprised he has kept goodwillie and ally love - 2 players I hope we would not look to employ at Firhill.

i think we have got the better end of the deal- McCall knows Partick Thistle as well as Lennon, knows the championship far better than Lennon.  While McCall is prepared to leave the team top of the division to join us at the bottom, while Lennon is not so keen to leave the team 6th in league one to a bigger team playing in a higher division IMO that McCall cares more and wants to manage us more than Lennon does.

while he most certainly was not a Partick Thistle supporter when he was young (Danny probably wasn’t either) I genuinely think he is now - it’s well known that his son has a season ticket as well.

when was the last time we actually had a Partick Thistle supporter as manager? Or was Alan Archibald one?

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He’s doing relatively well at Clyde I think there’s a few with red and yellow glasses on regarding Danny - they are 6th in league one and they got promotion from league 2, but had the highest budget in that division.

he did win the league cup which rightly should give him legendary status at st Mirren park but his league positions with st Mirren were not that great- finished 11th a couple of times when there were no playoffs then.

didnt have a great time at Alloa. Also surprised he has kept goodwillie and ally love - 2 players I hope we would not look to employ at Firhill.

i think we have got the better end of the deal- McCall knows Partick Thistle as well as Lennon, knows the championship far better than Lennon.  While McCall is prepared to leave the team top of the division to join us at the bottom, while Lennon is not so keen to leave the team 6th in league one to a bigger team playing in a higher division IMO that McCall cares more and wants to manage us more than Lennon does.

while he most certainly was not a Partick Thistle supporter when he was young (Danny probably wasn’t either) I genuinely think he is now - it’s well known that his son has a season ticket as well.

when was the last time we actually had a Partick Thistle supporter as manager? Or was Alan Archibald one?

Couldn’t tell you who Archie grew up supporting but think it’s fair to say he is Thistle through and through now. He’s from possil I think, so every chance he at least went to a few games growing up. 

7 minutes ago, mad-jag said:

Couldn’t tell you who Archie grew up supporting but think it’s fair to say he is Thistle through and through now. He’s from possil I think, so every chance he at least went to a few games growing up. 

Thanks MJ, out of likes 

just remebered was Bertie auld not a thistle supporter along with his dad when he was a wee boy?

11 minutes ago, mad-jag said:

Archie's family were Ger supporters and believe or not, so were Derek Whyte's

1 hour ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

The Bin Dippers refused us permission to speak with him. 

4 hours ago, scotty said:

Just what is a director of football, especially at a club of the size of ours? Seems to be they do nothing until they start to interfere in the picking of the team and then it's all criticism.

It's an admittedly vague term that seems to cover a range of different scenarios. I've always considered it to be an acknowledgement that in the modern game having one person take responsibility for everything from taking the training, to scouting, to negotiating player contracts, is no longer viable. Aside from the immense workload, this would require an astonishing breadth of expertise. Far better, some say, to divide the role up, and there are a number of ways of doing this. You could separate coaching and recruitment for example. 

On 9/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, Dick Dastardly said:

I've heard or seen nothing to say that the buyout is not still on and I'm sure that we would have heard about a plan B as I don't believe that Beattie wants this job long term. I actually think that Caldwells job is relatively safe while the takeover is still on the table. That might change if there were mass demonstrations by the fans, but I don't think we have that sort of supporter base. 

Earlier today, someone used the word apathy which kind of sums up the situation.

Proof, if needed, that I know **** all !

Go away for a week without wifi and it all kicks off.

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Thanks MJ, out of likes 

just remebered was Bertie auld not a thistle supporter along with his dad when he was a wee boy?

Matt - Bertie always stated his Brother in Law was a Jags Fan - along with many of his Family and Friends and that he was born " a short corner away " from Firhill - but never said he was a Jags Fan - on the occasions I've met him-  he has always stated how Proud he was to be our Manager - a Real Gent of a Man     

5 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Matt - Bertie always stated his Brother in Law was a Jags Fan - along with many of his Family and Friends and that he was born " a short corner away " from Firhill - but never said he was a Jags Fan - on the occasions I've met him-  he has always stated how Proud he was to be our Manager - a Real Gent of a Man     

Out of likes Jim but thanks for that. Had a great chat with him when he was inducted into our hall of fame- an absolute gem of a man 

27 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Dools was on Bbc Sportsound last night and said Caldwell was a good coach, knew football inside out but couldn't get his ideas onto the pitch.  With his presentations, tactics and more modern view on methods was he trying to hard and over complicating matters?  Not living in reality of Championship level?

At the meet the manager night it certainly came across to me that he was over complicating matters and giving the players too many messages to deal with. At this level you have to expect that one of the limitations of the players is how much instruction they can take on.

Also he was very much a manager with a philosophy on football which he tried to stick to. At this level you need to find a system that suits the players and wins games. Adhering to a philosophy is only possible when you have a budget that allows you to buy players who can play to that philosophy.

For example - anyone know what John Lambie's philosophy was on football other than gies a shift and win games? I don't think Ian McCall has a philosophy beyond getting players to play better and win.

One of the other things that came across was he seemed not to know what style of team was successful in the championship. There was chat about a hard tackling defensive midfielder which he wasn't keen on but a little bit of research would have shown the successful championship teams all relied on them.

Unfortunately for Caldwell he seems the sort to stick to his principles and beliefs even though they been found not to work in 3 different clubs. If he doesn't adapt he will be largely unemploayble as a manager or coach. Probably quite a good post game TV analyst though.