Arbroath Friday!!!!

thebiglemon

The attacking set pieces are far from the biggest of our worries, so far we've scored from corners or free kicks vs Airdrie, Clyde,  Ross County (twice), and from a 2nd ball vs Dundee Utd and the fact we're mixing them up is a good thing.

Not defending where we are or the manager or indeed our defending set pieces which is god-awful, but after years of watching Sean Welsh or  Martin Woods hit the first man or float it gently into the opposition goalies' arms, we're actually putting thought and effort into these things and I'm all for it.

In that particular one above it "worked" in as far as Robson got the ball on the corner of the box with no-one within 5 yards of him. He then duffed it straight to the front post, but that's on him.

• Like 2

I am sure Aberdeen have tried something like this in the past and England also did it with great success at the Euro finals last year. It is down to the execution of it. If we would have scored, us fans would be praising them for a good training ground goal. It didn't work well, it looked a waste of a corner.

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Know he did well there , just think at this moment to unify everybody it would be better if it was someone who had a feel for the Club , whether that’s a Jim Duffy , Stephen Craigan , Danny Lennon or an Ian McCall/ Dools partnership.

Could be the takeover has put a spanner in the works , I’m not sure whether the current BOD or the prospective new owners would want to keep Gary Caldwell especially with the negativity surrounding the Club just now.

If we don’t beat Dunfermline on Saturday, I think Beattie and co have a big decision to make about Caldwell.

Fair point We all just want to see the best for Thistle

18 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Archie asked (apparently) for a deal to be made to sever his contract. BOD wanted to give him a chance, he had a 1 year rolling deal, no new deal was given. If we’d fired him in May it would have cost us a years wage. In fairness Archie never got a rolling deal till after about 3 or 4 years managing us, by which time he deserved it. His replacement (allegedly) was given one at first time of asking 

You know the background of the club much better than me, but my point was that Archie had indicated he should go after the relegation, the board disagreed at that time but then 8 games into the following season they changed their mind. To my mind that is a kneejerk ….. but others may disagree

10 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

My abiding image of Friday night. What a farce for a set piece, a parody of 'tactics'.

1245174664_ptfc2.thumb.png.cd9131331147a681aeab9872f44ed8ec.png

This could be the cue picture for a "What Happened Next?" quiz. So, what did happen next. Did the six run as a block in the same direction at the same time, or did they fan(ny) out all over the place as the kick was about to be taken? Actually, I can see it being quite tricky to defend against, if the players trying the move are skillful enough. Same as with the old free-kick goosestep routine which we tried and it never came off. 

47 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

You know the background of the club much better than me, but my point was that Archie had indicated he should go after the relegation, the board disagreed at that time but then 8 games into the following season they changed their mind. To my mind that is a kneejerk ….. but others may disagree

I agree. We were sitting better in the table than we are now.

The worst part about that corner routine is that it will probably have taken a considerable amount of time during training sessions to feel it was worth trying in a real game. The time spent on that would have been better spent on practising defending corners.

We have two decent aerial threats at corners in McGinty and O'Ware. We don't need gimmicky corner routines to be able to have a threat at corners. Last seasons routines where one would run towards the front post and the other would arrive at the back post was fine for this level. We've already had Saunders score a couple and one from O'ware from that approach.  Assuming reasonable delivery its an area that doesn't need this amount of tinkering with.

Last point would be that this type of routine is the sort you try when you're feeling really confident and won you're last 4 games on the bounce. When you're struggling you need to focus on the basics and thats about getting a decent delivery in and around the penalty spot.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Absolutely - it screamed 'gimmick' to me  (from the same stable as, dugoutgate, envelopegate, etc.).

Id be more concerned if we were continually trying the same set play routines with nothing coming off. . This particular tactic, as mentioned, very nearly worked. Our record scoring from set plays has been good this year. Let's  keep our negative comments for parts of his management that are deserving of them. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think in fairness to Archie he had built up a fair amount of goodwill over the previous seasons. Caldwell has none of that.  If Caldwell makes it to 8 games I’d be bloody surprised if he could match Archie’s poor record at start of last season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lord Rosebury said:

Id be more concerned if we were continually trying the same set play routines with nothing coming off. . This particular tactic, as mentioned, very nearly worked. Our record scoring from set plays has been good this year. Let's  keep our negative comments for parts of his management that are deserving of them. 

Bollocks. I don't know what game you were watching

'This particular tactic' was tried out at the 23 minute mark, the ball went straight to a maroon jersey (it may have rolled under Miller's feet en route - hard to say) who cleared it easily;  ball is pumped back in … straight into the goalkeeper's arms.

We try it again on the 32 minute mark:  the second ball (from a short corner) goes guess where? Maroon jersey who cleared it etc., etc. utter pyshe. Two corners wasted.

If this is what 'very nearly worked' looks like,  I'm a banana.

The assumption behind 'very nearly worked' is 'we very nearly scored'; extending the logic somewhat if we 'very nearly scored', then we 'very nearly' won the game.

But we didn't, we got pumped and deserved to lose. The corner fandango is a symptom of our, but mainly Big Bawface's, uselessness.

Just like 'Lord Rosebury' is 'very nearly''Lord Rosebery' (whose colours we play in), but actually isn't.

2 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Bollocks. I don't know what game you were watching

'This particular tactic' was tried out at the 23 minute mark, the ball went straight to a maroon jersey (it may have rolled under Miller's feet en route - hard to say) who cleared it easily;  ball is pumped back in … straight into the goalkeeper's arms.

We try it again on the 32 minute mark:  the second ball (from a short corner) goes guess where? Maroon jersey who cleared it etc., etc. utter pyshe. Two corners wasted.

If this is what 'very nearly worked' looks like,  I'm a banana.

The assumption behind 'very nearly worked' is 'we very nearly scored'; extending the logic somewhat if we 'very nearly scored', then we 'very nearly' won the game.

But we didn't, we got pumped and deserved to lose. The corner fandango is a symptom of our, but mainly Big Bawface's, uselessness.

Just like 'Lord Rosebury' is 'very nearly''Lord Rosebery' (whose colours we play in), but actually isn't.

Didn’t it finish 1-1?

15 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

I think in fairness to Archie he had built up a fair amount of goodwill over the previous seasons. Caldwell has none of that.  If Caldwell makes it to 8 games I’d be bloody surprised if he could match Archie’s poor record at start of last season.

Agreed, and I think if GC gets to 8 games and has a single digit total of points, he should resign before anybody within the PTFC boardroom suggests he should be leaving.

His remit was to get us to a top 4 position during last season, so professional integrity [integrity being something that GC says he rates highly in his squad of players??] should kick in and he should offer to leave. 

7 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

We got pumped (in the sense of overrun by the opposition) and 'deserved to lose', though we didn't - I don't think I've seen a post form a single fan who was at the game or watched it who thinks otherwise.

To use your wonderful phrasing in response to another Jags fan - this is bollocks.

We didn't lose the match though? 

So it's all if's and but's. If we get overrun by Dunfermline on Saturday yet still win 1-0 it still goes down as a victory. 

No problem whatsoever with trying the corner routine. You can slag Caldwell for many, many things but I don't think this one is merited.   

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

We got pumped (in the sense of overrun by the opposition) and 'deserved to lose', though we didn't - I don't think I've seen a post form a single fan who was at the game or watched it who thinks otherwise.

Came out of Gayfield and said we were maybe just deserving to get a point. Good goalkeeping kept us in the game in the first half but thought we shaded the 2nd half. If any team deserved to win it was Arbroath but us getting a point didn't seem that much of a steal. From where I was sitting I wasn't surprised to see their disallowed goal getting chalked off. Clearly it wasn't offside, so yes, on reflection we did deserve to lose.

I actually don't mind the team trying something different from the norm at corners. Makes a change from the usual hopeful ball in that we rarely score from and you can see that it is something they are working on.

It's actually one of the few things I like about Caldwell. Another is that he isn't scared to make a decision. Granted, nine times out of ten it's the wrong frickin' one but at least he does it.

1 hour ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

To use your wonderful phrasing in response to another Jags fan - this is bollocks.

We didn't lose the match though? 

So it's all if's and but's. If we get overrun by Dunfermline on Saturday yet still win 1-0 it still goes down as a victory. 

No problem whatsoever with trying the corner routine. You can slag Caldwell for many, many things but I don't think this one is merited.   

As with the 'very nearly' philosophy.

Sorry: if it comes off (i.e. really comes off and we score, not nearly or very nearly score) the manager looks clever; if it fails (and two corners hit to  a maroon jersey says it failed not once but twice) the manager looks like a clown.

From the same stable as dugout, SAS, envelope … so well merited by me.

I'll take ugly wins any day (still waiting for one in the league though) … but, obviously given the above, will reserve the right so that we 'very nearly lost'.

Edited by Semi Nurainen
esprit d'escalier
  • Like 1