Play the ball out of the defence

erty13

It does not take a genius to work out that GC has over coached the players to built the attack from the defence and retain possession.

Keeper to centre half

Centre half to centre half 

Centre half to fullback

Full back to defensive midfielder 

Defensive midfielder to winger

Winger loses possession as he has two players on him.

This is slow ponderous play that allows teams to reorgaise and press us. Most other teams get the ball out wide to the winger and they attack the full back. There is a time to retain the ball but i would rather lose the ball on a quick counter attack, than the slow build up play  breaking down again. 

Yesterday Cole who is a good player kept passing either back or sideways. There  was very little options for a ball through the middle, due to how we set up. New right back (who i think is a very good player) struggled to hit the byline, as he has a well organised team in front of him.

We need to break quckly, pass through the middle,  and mix our style of play up.

Erty

2 minutes ago, erty13 said:

It does not take a genius to work out that GC has over coached the players to built the attack from the defence and retain possession.

Keeper to centre half

Centre half to fullback

This is slow ponderous play that allows teams to reorgaise and press us. Most other teams get the ball out wide to the winger and they attack the full back. There is a time to retain the ball but i would rather lose the ball on a quick counter attack, than the slow build up play  breaking down again. 

Yesterday Cole who is a good player kept passing either back or sideways. There  was very little options for a ball through the middle, due to how we set up. New right back (who i think is a very good player) struggled to hit the byline, as he has a well organised team in front of him.

We need to break quckly, pass through the middle,  and mix our style of play up.

Erty

I said this yesterday and I will say it again. The new rule about playing the ball in the box from a bye kick does not work for us. We either end up losing the ball near our box or a hurried punt away because we get closed down quickly. Dunfermline stuck with the old just punt it up and see what happens. We should get back to that until our players work out how do it and not just give the ball away in front of our goal.

6 minutes ago, erty13 said:

Keeper to centre half

Centre half to fullback

Erty

Yes to all of the above. 

The Kelty Hearts V Auchinleck Talbot game [it was on BBC TV on Friday night] had a similar pattern. Kelty played in a similar way to Thistle, and were seriously beaten by a well organised, pressing Auchinleck team ..... and to compound the similarities, the result was another 0 - 3!!

10 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I said this yesterday and I will say it again. The new rule about playing the ball in the box from a bye kick does not work for us. We either end up losing the ball near our box or a hurried punt away because we get closed down quickly. Dunfermline stuck with the old just punt it up and see what happens. We should get back to that until our players work out how do it and not just give the ball away in front of our goal.

Slow and predictable,  we are the easiest team to play against in the division, as our league position shows. Caldwell's David-Brent-fantasy-football-tactics were on display yesterday for all to see.

It was pitiful how we were baulked so easily.

Playing the ball out from the back only works if you have technically good players with good ball retention and accurate passing. It seems to be a very modern approach but it won't work in the Scottish second tier because we will never have a squad of that kind of player. We need more graft in midfield and more directness in attack, it should be simplified.

2 hours ago, milhouse said:

Playing the ball out from the back only works if you have technically good players with good ball retention and accurate passing. It seems to be a very modern approach but it won't work in the Scottish second tier because we will never have a squad of that kind of player. We need more graft in midfield and more directness in attack, it should be simplified.

I’m pretty sure this is what Scott Allison means by becoming a ‘championship’ side, and he, as are you, are correct.

5 hours ago, erty13 said:

Keeper to centre half

Centre half to fullback

Erty

Agree with this - the way we set up our wingers should be constantly looking to get at their opposing full back and attack the angles of the box with the main striker and supporting midfield players making their runs into the box in support. 

This would allow our full backs the space to push on beyond and deliver the ball from the touchline if required.

if we set up to play into these areas quickly we automatically push up the park as a unit and squeeze the game in the areas that win you games and also in theory give guys sitting a little deeper more time on the ball to influence the game, im talking guys like banzo, cole, palmer.

im sure whoever comes in will have watched us and have their own ideas of how we should play - id imagine avoiding getting beat will be the order of the day but i wont be surprised if this is how we develop into an attacking unit moving forward. 

58 minutes ago, Firhill Pie said:

Agree with this - the way we set up our wingers should be constantly looking to get at their opposing full back and attack the angles of the box with the main striker and supporting midfield players making their runs into the box in support. 

This would allow our full backs the space to push on beyond and deliver the ball from the touchline if required.

if we set up to play into these areas quickly we automatically push up the park as a unit and squeeze the game in the areas that win you games and also in theory give guys sitting a little deeper more time on the ball to influence the game, im talking guys like banzo, cole, palmer.

im sure whoever comes in will have watched us and have their own ideas of how we should play - id imagine avoiding getting beat will be the order of the day but i wont be surprised if this is how we develop into an attacking unit moving forward. 

Good post, would also add keep Zanatta up front and mix it up and hit it long sometimes , where he can use his pace to cause teams problems.