McCall returns.

Garscube Road End

10 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree with you regarding our 'performance' on Saturday, a disgrace. But since we are bottom of the league, we cant go any lower. Before the start of the season in conversation with my Brother in law who is a Morton fan, I said I expected top 4 this season. After Saturday I now feel not getting relegated will be success.

Now AJ you know we could go lower. The seaside..........................

10 minutes ago, laukat said:

.... I suspect McCall will need most of this season to sort out the mess he's been left so realistically avoiding relegation is still the main task with a run at the playoffs next season.

I don't disagree, but it will be interesting to see whether others take this view.

Caldwell inherited us in a similar situation but was regularly hammered for not meeting his "objective" of challenging for promotion. I hope McCall is judged on more realistic criteria

3 hours ago, scotty said:

Not to rain on the parade but when are PTFC going to announce this good news. Ayr have put it on their web site, the BBC have announced it, local Ayrshire papers have announced it, the news is being heralded in Boston so when are the Jags fans going to hear from the club?

Am i being cynical? I reckon Ayr have pulled a fast one here. We can't announce til the compensation is agreed with them. Their announcing before this has been done helps ensure they get the max £ they can? Imagine the backlash if we don't agree to the money Ayr want??

With the MoneyBall Connection I thought they would replace Caldwell with Brad Pitt - so slightly disappointed we ended up with Colly 

But beyond that - delighted that both him and Archie are back - each of them have a point to prove - each of them  have unfinished business at Thistle which is a great motivator - each of them are Thistle Men and understand the Club and the Fans 

However Im gutted that No One was able to Post that famous spot " just saw Brad Pitt on Firhill Road " 

And a Special Mention to David Beattie and the New (ish) Board - taken a whole load of personal crap from a whole load of people - said nothing - let his actions do the talking - the mark of a Good Chairman - No PR Spin - No Self Promotion - simply got on with Business      

Welcome Home Colly and Archie 

• Like 5

Hats of to David Beattie for a) Acting swiftly on getting rid of Caldwell and b) Bringing in the man that the vast majority of fans want to replace him.

3 year deal I believe so getting the time he needs to turn things round. If McCall fails at Thistle (and I don't believe he will), it will not be for the want of trying. He will put his heart and soul in to the job and will be desperate to succeed.

Although most agreed that it was time for Archie to go, I think everybody was saddened by his departure. Having him back in this capacity is great news, delighted to hear it.

Also, Doolan has already agreed to come back in January.

Happy days.

10 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

With the MoneyBall Connection I thought they would replace Caldwell with Brad Pitt - so slightly disappointed we ended up with Colly 

But beyond that - delighted that both him and Archie are back - each of them have a point to prove - each of them  have unfinished business at Thistle which is a great motivator - each of them are Thistle Men and understand the Club and the Fans 

However Im gutted that No One was able to Post that famous spot " just saw Brad Pitt on Firhill Road " 

And a Special Mention to David Beattie and the New (ish) Board - taken a whole load of personal crap from a whole load of people - said nothing - let his actions do the talking - the mark of a Good Chairman - No PR Spin - No Self Promotion - simply got on with Business      

Welcome Home Colly and Archie 

100%.

Especially  the bit about Beattie. Totally justifies the action against the old board.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, allyo said:

I don't disagree, but it will be interesting to see whether others take this view.

Caldwell inherited us in a similar situation but was regularly hammered for not meeting his "objective" of challenging for promotion. I hope McCall is judged on more realistic criteria

I think there are large differences from what Caldwell inherited and McCall is inheriting.

When Caldwell came in we wee sitting  outside the relegation zone but struggling to get near the top 4. Had we maintained the form Caldwell inherited we would probably have finished above relegation but outside the top 4.

McCall is inheriting a team that is bottom of the league so he needs to improve results just to avoid relegation.

The team Caldwell inherited was struggling as we had key players out injured (Gordon, O'Ware) or just returning from injury (Bannigan) coupled with a few players out of form (Erskine, Elliot, Doolan). The team was however playing a settled 4-2-3-1

However McCall inherits a team that has no settled formation. That was trained in pre-season to play 3-5-2 but have now gone back to a back 4. (No idea what we were playing in midfield on Saturday as it was a mess). To add to that we only have 1 fit striker and he's nearly 40.

Caldwell has left us in a mess that will take time to fix. If McCall gets us anywhere near the top 4 he'll be in the running for manager of the year.

• Like 1

If anyone wants to be against McCall as manager this is the best time to start (before he's even announced). Eventually - eventually - you will be proved correct and you can tell everyone you told them so, and demand, Big Col style, apologies from everyone.

Edited by West of Scotland

1 hour ago, Z88 said:

Am i being cynical? I reckon Ayr have pulled a fast one here. We can't announce til the compensation is agreed with them. Their announcing before this has been done helps ensure they get the max £ they can? Imagine the backlash if we don't agree to the money Ayr want??

This. (Out of likes.)

8 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

But you're doing a remarkably good job nevertheless.

Okay. No agenda. I (unlike many others it seems) don't know David Beattie or any of the current board, and my only knowledge is that under them Thistle were very successful, and that everyone seems to accept that they are all good people and Thistle fans. And I'm happy to accept that. So I'm not coming from what I'd see as a cynical or untrusting angle.

But

Until this happened there was a lot of, I think justified, concern about the potential takeover. Nothing, as far as I know, has happened to change that. I think if the curent board wants to sell their shares, as they have every right to do, then that remains a worry. And if that is the case then I still would suspect that the motivation for removing the previous board would have more to do with that sale than with removing Gary Caldwell (who was actually looking pretty good at the time).

So I accept that today maybe isn't the time for negative thoughts and I might be wrong in raising this (and it's probably on the wrong thread). I welcome the removal of Caldwell at this stage and I like Ian McCall and welcome his return. But I just find something a bit uncomfortable about the warm fuzziness than comes with Archie returning, talk of Kris Doolan coming back soon, and the reflected glow that shines on a BoD that as far as we know is still trying to sell the club.

I wish everyone the best and hope it all works out well.

The speed at which this appointment has been made makes me think that Caldwells sacking had been planned for well in advance.

McCall - I have to admit that I wasn't the greatest fan of him the first time round, but he did improve on the Bunnet and effectively stabilised the club on the park.  In retrospect he laid very strong foundations for MacNamara and Archie, especially with his eye for a player.

In terms of the names being bandied about for the job now, he is clearly the leading candidate.  What is more than impressive is his success with Ayr and his transformation of the club, I fully expected them to fall away this season having lost key players, but they are deservedly sitting at the top of the league.

Archie coming back as support staff could be a master stroke.  While it was clear he needed to go as manager (and it was the correct decision at the time), I can't help feeling that his biggest failing was not being able to spot a player.  McCall seems to have that in droves, and allied with Archie it makes me cautiously optimistic about the future of the club.

I'd now expect this season to be a write off, but if there is anyone who can organise the side into a consistent and difficult to beat unit he can.

Its going to be a rollercoaster, but what is abundantly clear is that the trust and patience is there from the support that he will turn this round. 

11 minutes ago, Lanarkjag said:

The speed at which this appointment has been made makes me think that Caldwells sacking had been planned for well in advance.

I realise what you're getting at but the Board/Beattie/Britton would be seriously guilty of mismanagement if there wasn't contingency in place. Obviously they couldn't directly sound out McCall (or for that matter any other working manager) but ears to the ground and all that :).

Mind you Beattie did indicate that the forthcoming AGM would be interesting before Caldwell was dismissed. 

49 minutes ago, allyo said:

Okay. No agenda. I (unlike many others it seems) don't know David Beattie or any of the current board, and my only knowledge is that under them Thistle were very successful, and that everyone seems to accept that they are all good people and Thistle fans. And I'm happy to accept that. So I'm not coming from what I'd see as a cynical or untrusting angle.

But

Until this happened there was a lot of, I think justified, concern about the potential takeover. Nothing, as far as I know, has happened to change that. I think if the curent board wants to sell their shares, as they have every right to do, then that remains a worry. And if that is the case then I still would suspect that the motivation for removing the previous board would have more to do with that sale than with removing Gary Caldwell (who was actually looking pretty good at the time).

So I accept that today maybe isn't the time for negative thoughts and I might be wrong in raising this (and it's probably on the wrong thread). I welcome the removal of Caldwell at this stage and I like Ian McCall and welcome his return. But I just find something a bit uncomfortable about the warm fuzziness than comes with Archie returning, talk of Kris Doolan coming back soon, and the reflected glow that shines on a BoD that as far as we know is still trying to sell the club.

I wish everyone the best and hope it all works out well.

It’s perfectly possible to think Beattie has done well in changing managers, getting McCall etc and be concerned about the takeover because we still don’t know anything about it ... maybe the agm will is something 

16 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It’s perfectly possible to think Beattie has done well in changing managers, getting McCall etc and be concerned about the takeover because we still don’t know anything about it ... maybe the agm will is something 

Agreed. And that's where I am with it.

24 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I realise what you're getting at but the Board/Beattie/Britton would be seriously guilty of mismanagement if there wasn't contingency in place. Obviously they couldn't directly sound out McCall (or for that matter any other working manager) but ears to the ground and all that :).

Mind you Beattie did indicate that the forthcoming AGM would be interesting before Caldwell was dismissed. 

E-x-a-c-t-l-y. 

Although you could look at it another way.

If the negotiations prove difficult and it was to fall through then Ayr United have thrown their most successful manager in 40 years under the bus with their own fans. Difficult to see a way back for him at Ayr, so they've probably put pressure on themselves as well as Thistle, to get the deal done.

17 minutes ago, allyo said:

Although you could look at it another way.

If the negotiations prove difficult and it was to fall through then Ayr United have thrown their most successful manager in 40 years under the bus with their own fans. Difficult to see a way back for him at Ayr, so they've probably put pressure on themselves as well as Thistle, to get the deal done.

We dont need to have Ayr Terms agreed to Sign Colly - that can be dealt with Later and final Value determined By SFA Appeals Tribunal - he has been given permission to move by Ayr - the Compensation Package can be agreed later