Poor crowd expected Nomads game

Bobbyhouston

3 minutes ago, Big Col said:

A comfortable 2-0 win. Thought Kakay had a good game. Killie must have been really poor if these cloggers beat them.

On to the next round - Clyde away? 

Now that would be very appropriate.

At home though. Broadwood's a barsteward of a place to get to by public transport.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Apart from a mix up between Fox and McGinty, which Saunders cleared from just before the goal line in the first minute, we were never troubled. Kakay MOTM. Miller missed an absolute sitter. Spoke to some Connah's  fans before the game and they said their level is similar to the English conference league.

4 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Paltry attendance!

Here https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F41902579%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

Oops! Misread that.

Actually I think today's attendance, roughly half of our normal home league attendance, was slightly better than we should've expected. A Challenge Cup game played at an extremely antisocial time?  

• Haha 1

Difficult to assess how significant this victory against unfamiliar opponents will turn out to be. But we can certainly take encouragement from possession football played tonight, denying the opposition the chance to test our defence. Da Vita and Kakay showed enough playing away from their normal positions to add to the options available.

Hope none of the fans who turned out to support Thistle tonight loses out to glory hunters in the scramble for tickets when we get to the final.

I thought that was decent, after the first ten or fifteen minutes.

We had a simple but decent structure and the players looked fairly comfortable. Difficult to gauge the quality of opposition but their other results would suggest that they wouldn't be too far from Championship level, so a decent result I reckon.

Kick off time was a joke but I also think the low crowd goes against the argument that repetitive fixtures are what keeps people away. Here was a brand new opposition; it didn't attract people out.

• Like 1

I think they said the attendance was 1300 ish?, I didn't think that was bad considering the competition and the odd kick-off time. You can see why these guys have beat better opposition, Their commitment is total, and if they had been a bit luckier they could have scored early against a Thistle team that took a while to start to play the better football.

In that first half we did not pass the ball well ['cept for the goal], we improved a bit as they appeared to tire themselves out [late & high tackles, flying elbows and body checking is an exhausting way to play football]. Cardle seemed to be in a sort of Duracell Bunny mode today and was for most of the game ineffective, it appears that Kenny Millar cant pass a ball to feet, and Williamson really is so slow to turn he could be a real liability against a quicker wing player. I thought Kakay [BTW the programme managed to spell his name wrong!!!] was excellent in the first half, the assist for DeVita's goal was a joy to see, he deserved the MoM. Penrice had a few mis directed passes, but overall him, Tam, Banzo, Sean and Saunders were comfortable. Fox, I thought, played well although he needs to shout a bit more to avoid the mix-ups with his defenders, his confidence will have benefitted from a clean sheet.

After the second goal, it was more about not getting an injury from these rather 'agricultural' players from Wales.

Overall, a good game to watch [weather was fine] other than Sean's head cut we didn't have any injuries … so a useful exercise, and one that McCall can to look to improve the way we are playing?

Watched the 2nd half on an iPad in the middle of the night in the Far East of Russia. I’ve not made many games this season due to work travel, but what I think has improved is that we seem to move the ball quicker than earlier in the season. There seems to be less passing the ball slowly across the back from one wing to another. Kakay and Penrice were good going forward and Miller seemed to stick to being a striker most of the time. 2 well worked goals, and obviously Miller should have scored as well, but thankfully it never cost us. I’m looking forward to being home and going to the Arbroath game.