Thistle v Hearts Scottish Cup Replay- Miners Strike

Jordanhill Jag

During the Miners Strike of 74 we had to play our replay on a Tuesday Afternoon ( due to the Power Cuts )  - I dogged School with my Pals to attend - there was a Massive Crowd 

Next day had to face the Music for dogging School !!

One of our more bizarre games ( plus we got beat ) 

Did anyone else  go to the Game and any idea of the Crowd 

It would make a Great Football Article - Covering the Games in the Afternoons of the Miners Strike 

I was at University at the time...probably missed a lecture in Constitutional Law to go to Firhill...not a tough choice!

Willie Gibson who subsequently played for Thistle scored a hat trick for Hearts but Donald Ford was brilliant for them that day...probably the best individual performance I have seen by an opposition player at Firhill.

It was a strange time...the entire country was on a 3-day week  with power cuts in the evenings...a really bleak time...no surprise that people took the chance to go to an afternoon game. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I was at University at the time...probably missed a lecture in Constitutional Law to go to Firhill...not a tough choice!

Willie Gibson who subsequently played for Thistle scored a hat trick for Hearts but Donald Ford was brilliant for them that day...probably the best individual performance I have seen by an opposition player at Firhill.

It was a strange time...the entire country was on a 3-day week  with power cuts in the evenings...a really bleak time...no surprise that people took the chance to go to an afternoon game. 

Brilliant info !!!! 

I just Remember getting the Belt Next Day for dogging School !!!!  

• Like 1

Yes I’ll never forget it.

My boss was a grumpy old bufty who was a Rangers man. I assumed it was a waste of time asking him so one of the (rather attractive mini skirted) girls asked him for me. No problem!! It WAS the 70’s after all.

We had played well at Tynecastle so I was convinced we would prevail. Sadly it was the usual Jags disappointment.

I recall standing on my own at the south end friendless as my pals didn’t have any good looking chicks in the office.

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

You must have been 3 years ahead of me. I presume that Professor Cowie lectured in Constitutional Law then at Glasgow University. Your writing hand must have appreciated the break from trying to write down everything he said. His delivery was even faster than Mitch Austin at full fitness.

2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

You must have been 3 years ahead of me. I presume that Professor Cowie lectured in Constitutional Law then at Glasgow University. Your writing hand must have appreciated the break from trying to write down everything he said. His delivery was even faster than Mitch Austin at full fitness.

Yes I remember Professor Cowie...if only I had not gone to Firhill and attended his lectures back then I might have a better understanding of Brexit...or maybe not!

2 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Yes I remember Professor Cowie...if only I had not gone to Firhill and attended his lectures back then I might have a better understanding of Brexit...or maybe not!

Brexit had not even been thought of then. We had barely Brentered.

Zimbabwean constitutional negotiations with Lord Carrington were all the rage.

Was at the Saturday game and the replay.

The inevitability of getting put out of the cup by the tarts was almost just as clear back then as it is now.

I remember dogging school to go to see Thistle playing at Stranraer during the 70-71 season. Who should I encounter not far from the turnstile but my French teacher from school..... Robert Reid. He made it clear that for both of us it never happened.

• Like 3

Talking of dogging school/work.......

Monday 1st December 1986 - I was only 19 and knew my boss would refuse my annual leave request, so I phoned in sick and ended up on a supporters bus to Preston, as Thistle were playing PNE in a friendly. Deepdale had an astro pitch at this time and Thistle were contemplating getting one put in at Firhill,  so I think this was why the game was arranged.  An evening kick off which we lost 4-3, but a good day/night out anyway.  

Thistle's team that night:-

John Brough; Peter Mackie; Brian McQuade; Derek Johnstone; Ian Spittal; Willie Herd; Bobby Law; Willie Cairns; Colin West; Jim Creaney; Ian McDonald; Jim Stewart; Pat Kelly; Eddie Gallagher.

Sam Allardyce was playing for Preston..........

Maybe an away trip to Wrexham next? Not quite Metz, but it will do for now.

There are particular games that still hurt like hell and the 0-4 to Hearts is def in the top 5. I was 15 at Whitburn Academy so no dosh to get to Glasgow and game admission so had to go to school. Someone in the geography class said 'are Thistle no playin the day' and I said to the Hearts supporting teacher...och Thistle will win. He was quite sarcastic and dismissive in his reply. So when the score came in after school I was gutted. Especially gettin beat so heavily at home.