Tunnocks Cup Semi Final

Paukea

40 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think the game is in February. 

15th / 16th according to the club webpages. Perhaps another Friday night game [no good logic in doing so, but you know what the grey suits are like]

I wonder if we will be a much changed side by then? sitting within the top four and scoring freely? [it's nice to dream]

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Better with the Rangers Youth. Big(ger) crowd and a local venue. Maybe even Hampden.

Get your point, and it's maybe just me thinking this, but there would be something rather hollow about playing a cup final against a youth side. Besides we might attract a rather unwelcome temporary support from a third party? That said I'd not be too enthusiastic about a final against ICT if played in some out of town stadium like McDiarmid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Get your point, and it's maybe just me thinking this, but there would be something rather hollow about playing a cup final against a youth side. Besides we might attract a rather unwelcome temporary support from a third party? That said I'd not be too enthusiastic about a final against ICT if played in some out of town stadium like McDiarmid.

This was my fear.  I'm disappointed that the young team could spoil what would otherwise have been an attractive fixture against either ICT or Raith.  'They' are sucking any remaining credibility out of this competition.

As it stands, ICT in Perth, unfortunately, would be lesser of the 2 evils.  But let's deal with what's in front of us first and make sure that the streets Raith remain a dancing free zone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You sound as if you couldn’t care less if we get beat every game , sounds like you need a good night out to yourself possibly lighten up 

I can assure you, Bobbyhouston, that the last thing I need is "a good night out". Perhaps if anything I had fewer "good nights out" I might just sound to you more enthusiastic about certain Thistle games.

Btw I try hard on here not to insult any other posters intelligence. I attend virtually every Thistle game home and away. I find you're insinuation that I'll travel hundreds of miles to a Jags game and not care if we're beaten could be construed as insulting. Either that or you're questioning my mental health, which in itself is too serious a subject to be brought up on a football forum.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I can assure you, Bobbyhouston, that the last thing I need is "a good night out". Perhaps if anything I had fewer "good nights out" I might just sound to you more enthusiastic about certain Thistle games.

Btw I try hard on here not to insult any other posters intelligence. I attend virtually every Thistle game home and away. I find you're insinuation that I'll travel hundreds of miles to a Jags game and not care if we're beaten could be construed as insulting. Either that or you're questioning my mental health, which in itself is too serious a subject to be brought up on a football forum.

get yourself a half bottle and watch the 71 cup final that will cheer you up 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I admire your coolness under extreme provocation M'lady, but frankly he's probably about the biggest codpiece on the forum.  That's the polite version.

Somebody has already suggested that he be denied the oxygen of publicity (in this context via dialogue).

Frankly I'm astonished that he is allowed to remain a member after some of his comments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I admire your coolness under extreme provocation M'lady, but frankly he's probably about the biggest codpiece on the forum.  That's the polite version.

Somebody has already suggested that he be denied the oxygen of publicity (in this context via dialogue).

Frankly I'm astonished that he is allowed to remain a member after some of his comments.

It’s just a pity life is so dull and boring for folk that they can’t have some banter on a football forum , Frankly I think your attitude of trying to get me barred from the forum sums up some of our support . get a grip rather than being so dull it’s harmless fun you should try it 

7 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not really getting this about the competition having no credibility. Does the Scottish cup have credibility with the inclusion of juniors and highland and lowland league teams. 

At least every senior team in the land takes part in the later stages, so it certainly has more credibility than the Tunnocks products (edible or sports-related).

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

At least every senior team in the land takes part in the later stages, so it certainly has more credibility than the Tunnocks products (edible or sports-related).

I am not sure I understand the comment. It sounds as if you are saying that the challenge cup isn’t credible because the premiership teams don’t participate - not because the colts are included ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not sure I understand the comment. It sounds as if you are saying that the challenge cup isn’t credible because the premiership teams don’t participate - not because the colts are included ?

To clarify: for me the Challenge Cup is a diddy cup because it's for teams that aren't good enough for the top tier; hence it'd not a "national" competition. And for me the interest has been further diminished because of the inclusion of colts teams.

Would I like us to win it? Sure! Do I care if we don't? Nope! 

6 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

To clarify: for me the Challenge Cup is a diddy cup because it's for teams that aren't good enough for the top tier; hence it'd not a "national" competition. And for me the interest has been further diminished because of the inclusion of colts teams.

Would I like us to win it? Sure! Do I care if we don't? Nope! 

I know what you mean, but a cup final is a cup final. It may be illogical, but I would rather lose the semi final than be beaten in the final (again)

27 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I know what you mean, but a cup final is a cup final. It may be illogical, but I would rather lose the semi final than be beaten in the final (again)

Especially if it's by you-know-who.

And in case anybody doesn't know who I mean by you-know-who, a wee hint: we haven't beaten their big team in the last 30 or so attempts, regardless of how many "colts" or reserves they've put out against us.

• Like 1

I've long felt the competition itself would be better placed if 2nd tier clubs were excluded and replaced by more Highland & Lowland League clubs. It would then be basically (with the odd exception) almost exclusively open to only part time clubs. The problem with including our league is that most clubs (if not all ) will be fretting over play off places (top or bottom) and the Challenge Cup can appear anything between an irrelevance to hindrance. Of course if the size of the leagues (especially the top tier) were to be increased then this competition would have more relevance to the 2nd tier clubs. 

While we're in it we might as well try and win it. We have, tho', to be realistic and accept no manager in our league is likely to jeopardise promotion or league survival chasing this piece of silverware.  That maybe comes across all Billy Big Boots but winning the Challenge Cup will not protect his job if he has an unsatisfactory league campaign.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett