Scottish Cup Draw

elevenone

As usual there'll be reasonable arguments for and against. When it was a league game we kept all the gate money so the argument for ceding as much of the ground to the OF was stronger. I suppose tho' the policing/stewarding costs will be high and tho' all ticket geared at full capacity. But as elevenone says it's like turning the place into a mini San Giro for the day and losing out on the JL Stand will put a lot of Jags fans off attending. The Main Stand will presumably be allocated seating, which was why a few of us preferred the JL Stand.

I've never been of the opinion we should sacrifice everything for the green or blue pound. For one thing it sends out signals that we're maybe not 100% committed to winning. However we're near bottom of the league and as head to head results show on a level footing with the bottom club. We obviously have to strengthen and while it's reassuring to know that funds in January will be available, it's the level of funding that's so important. It's not as if we're just one or two players short of being capable of climbing the table, reaching safety. We need every penny we can get. 

So I feel that in this instance it's a sensible move. It shouldn't tho' be used as a precedent and all future OF visits should be treated as before.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As usual there'll be reasonable arguments for and against. When it was a league game we kept all the gate money so the argument for ceding as much of the ground to the OF was stronger. I suppose tho' the policing/stewarding costs will be high and tho' all ticket geared at full capacity. But as elevenone says it's like turning the place into a mini San Giro for the day and losing out on the JL Stand will put a lot of Jags fans off attending. The Main Stand will presumably be allocated seating, which was why a few of us preferred the JL Stand.

I've never been of the opinion we should sacrifice everything for the green or blue pound. For one thing it sends out signals that we're maybe not 100% committed to winning. However we're near bottom of the league and as head to head results show on a level footing with the bottom club. We obviously have to strengthen and while it's reassuring to know that funds in January will be available, it's the level of funding that's so important. It's not as if we're just one or two players short of being capable of climbing the table, reaching safety. We need every penny we can get. 

So I feel that in this instance it's a sensible move. It shouldn't tho' be used as a precedent and all future OF visits should be treated as before.

I think your right, the pragmatic approach is best as it suits our precarious position in the Championship, and the possibility that in this season we end up spending more money then we earn.

If we were in the Premiership and playing to a top six standard of play there would be a different solution. [ I know we shunted all the JH Stand ST holders into either the JL Stand or the Main Stand during the 2015 / 2016 season when we were a Premiership team, but we were at that time near the bottom of the league]

I think this is a case of 'needs must …..'

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
clarification

6 hours ago, Kingleo said:

We’ve no chance of doing anything in the game and every pound is needed as we need as much dross shipped out as possible. The players have had a losing mentality against the OF since we got promoted so just accept it and take as much cash off the filth as we can

Yep, since promotion in 2002.

Against the OF we are the biggest bottlers in Scotland, and it starts even before every match, as we decide how to give their hordes most of what is supposed to be our home stadium.

Small team mentality is what we have.

Edited by Jaggernaut

They beat us because they put out eleven players that are better than our eleven players. They do this year after year because they have a financial advantage over Thistle - and every other Scottish team with the, occasional, exception of Rangers - which means that we are unable to reasonably compete with them. That's just the hard reality of it.

Other teams beat Celtic on the rare occasion because the Celtic team doesn't perform to it's potential. Celtic very rarely play badly against Thistle. I don't know why we don't seem to benefit from the occasional off day they have against other teams. Maybe it's some kind of collective memory on their part punishing us for the League Cup win.

I don't think we bottle it against them. I've seen some impressive performances from Thistle against Celtic over the years, they just don't usually end in a win.

In the days before ticketed games and segregation, the proportion of Celtic fans to Thistle fans would have been pretty much what the club is expecting for the upcoming cup game. I think they're just accepting the reality. Why have two stands half full of Thistle supporters when you can generate more income by getting in more paying customers? 

If the club banned all Celtic fans from the ground (and judging by the behaviour of some of their supporters at the last few games we've played them this wouldn't be an entirely unreasonable act), we would still be more than likely to lose the game.

The reality of the situation means we should view this game as an opportunity to make money.

(On the other hand, Celtic we're rubbish against Rangers, so you never know...)

With a lot of fans refusing to go to games versus Celtic it is hard to argue with the interim board’s decision on this occasion. Financially it maybe tempered by the 60/40 split though.

Football wise this will be Celtic’s first game back from their winter break and we did okay at Parkhead two years ago. Our lads will be up for this despite understandable lack of confidence among the support. 

We are very long shots to even get a replay but just remember every dog has its day! 

It would of course be a pleasurable irony if the extra cash from this fixture helped us secure a victory over Celtic. It's entirely feasible we will have brought in a player(s) by this time that without this match we wouldn't have been able to afford.  The thought of seven or eight thousand unwashed contributing to their own defeat would be an added bonus.

• Like 1

So, if virtually no Jags fans go, we should charge the maximum gate fee possible.

Alternatively, it would be brilliant if we could make the old stand rock by filling it with Jags fans here, Jags fans there, Jags fans everyfeckinwhere! Just like the old days.

And of course only charge us a nominal amount due to the decrepitness of that part of the ground.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

So, if virtually no Jags fans go, we should charge the maximum gate fee possible.

Alternatively, it would be brilliant if we could make the old stand rock by filling it with Jags fans here, Jags fans there, Jags fans everyfeckinwhere! Just like the old days.

And of course only charge us a nominal amount due to the decrepitness of that part of the ground.

This is Thistle: their own fans might even get charged more than normal for the privilege of watching the slaughter from the comfort of the historical, only occasionally used, main stand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 8:55 AM, dl1971 said:

I like the attitude of Chris Wilde from Sheffield. Simply put you have a chance if you attack when you can ( no matter the opposition ). Sitting back for 90 minutes means you get beat. Never say never....

Couldn’t agree more:: if you cross that white  line simply expecting not to lose. Invariably you will.

This defeatist attitude is perhaps the reason that we have such an atrocious record Ipso facto,, against the O.F. particularly in the recent past. 

• 3 weeks later...