January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

Not that sure where Barjolas fits in. Sevco you would think wouldn't want to loan him out without expecting a fair amount of game time. I can see him being back up to the three central midfielders that played on Saturday but unless MacKinnon can't play the full 90 mins these are not positions that you normally sub. From our point of view however this looks a decent enough loan in.

54 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I wouldn't think he would play if we meet them in the final. That would be a conflict of interest and he will probably be excluded from the team talks. 

As for the semi, he will be cup tied for us, so I suspect that he would play if required

I take it Rudden never played for them in the cup? Had a look through the Rangers U21s and they have a keeper called Lewis Budinauckas, Kevin’s son I take it?

I like Barjonas as a player, he's neat and tidy but I'm not sure how he'll fit in. Does Saturday's team mean 352 is going to be persevered with? MacKinnon, Cole, Bannigan, Slater and Barjonas as options in centre mid. Couldn't believed that Robson was asked to play right wing back but he did have a better 2nd half. Can they not get someone from the youths that is right footed to play as a wing back though? 

Not sure how to feel about Barjonas, unsure on his abilities but he may well be a very good player for all I know so not judging on that account until I’ve seen him play, but what totally baffles me is the need for a player in his position? As everyone has pointed out Mackinnon, Banzo and Cole is likely to always be our starting 3 in the middle. I would argue that slater is genuinely a decent back up to these players and has been harshly written off by most. Harkins I agree is past it and even in midfield isint ideal, but the Main one for me is everyone seems to have totally forgotten about Shea Gordon? He will be back soon and surely is an identical player in style to what we’re hoping barjonas will bring? I just don’t see how this was a position we need strengthening. For me a centre half, right back or winger would be a far better use of one of remaining loan slots surely.

• Like 3

Agree that this didn’t seem the area to try and strengthen. Could there be anything (unofficially) tied into the Rudden deal? Ie we’ll sell you Rudden for X but you’ve got to take Barjonas on a six month loan. Hope it’s not got a ‘games played’ requirement in there  Or maybe I’m being totally paranoid and cynical. 

We all thought kakay was a right back. McCall turned him into a right sided attacking midfield player on occasion.

I wonder whether they think barjonas can play wide perhaps in a midfield 4?  That’s the only way I make logic of his signing. 

• Like 1

Most teams at our level have a first team squad of 22 - two players per position to ensure cover for loss of form, injury and suspensions. So, currently we have two goalkeepers (Fox and Sneddon), five defenders (Williamson, Saunders, O'Ware, McGinty, Penrice, Robson),  seven midfielders (Cole, MacKinnon, Bannigan, Barjonas, Slater, Harkins, Gordon) and seven attackers (Rudden, Millar, Jones, Mansell, Cardle, Zanatta, Austin) to give us a first team squad of 21.

The squad's obviously unbalanced. We're short a right back and a centre half, while we're in surplus in midfield and one short up front.

What happens next is obviously up to McCall and will depend on the kind of formation he wants to play. Do we need another wide player (a right winger)? If the long talked about loan of Graham comes about, we'll have five strikers for four places and no capacity for another attacker. How do we get the right back and centre half we need if the 22 squad is full?

Anyway you look at this, it seems clear that some current players will have to move on.

28 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Most teams at our level have a first team squad of 22 - two players per position to ensure cover for loss of form, injury and suspensions. So, currently we have two goalkeepers (Fox and Sneddon), five defenders (Williamson, Saunders, O'Ware, McGinty, Penrice, Robson),  seven midfielders (Cole, MacKinnon, Bannigan, Barjonas, Slater, Harkins, Gordon) and seven attackers (Rudden, Millar, Jones, Mansell, Cardle, Zanatta, Austin) to give us a first team squad of 21.

The squad's obviously unbalanced. We're short a right back and a centre half, while we're in surplus in midfield and one short up front.

What happens next is obviously up to McCall and will depend on the kind of formation he wants to play. Do we need another wide player (a right winger)? If the long talked about loan of Graham comes about, we'll have five strikers for four places and no capacity for another attacker. How do we get the right back and centre half we need if the 22 squad is full?

Anyway you look at this, it seems clear that some current players will have to move on.

Ahem!!

8 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Okay, I can't count. The premise still stands though - we need to lose a few!

For sure it does and for sure we we do.

Ideally, one of Williamson and Robson (both would be a bonus), Harkins and a couple of Caldwell's forwards should be punted, and more effective replacements brought in if possible. However that's easier said than done in the January window.

Having said that, Rudden and MacKinnon are a clear upgrade on what was there, and Barjonas is on an upward learning curve, so praise to the management for what's been achieved in the window so far.

Edited by Barney Rubble

4 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Perhaps the signing of Barjonas is a message to Slater and Harkins to say 'you're now 4th and 5th choice midfielders, if you stay you won't even make the bench'?

Slater is just coming into his prime as a footballer so should be playing for a club willing to build a midfield around him. I don't see that happening for him at Firhill and he really needs to be playing and it would be best for all that he moved on so wouldn't have thought he would be the most problematic to move on

Harkins will struggle to pick up another wage similar to what we've given him. So I would have thought we're either paying up his contract or he's with us until his contract runs out.

I think Gordon will get another chance once fit. I think he is a different type of midfielder. He's not great at getting on the ball and dictating the play as per Bannigan or Cole but he does make runs beyond the defenders that lead to goals. If he was fit you could see us play a midfield diamond as part of a 4-4-2.