January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He got longer than 15 minutes and the way I saw it he had nothing to lose as we had lost the game.  Like I said before it’s sadly been a waste of a signing and how Caldwell had not had him assessed for injury in Australia before flying him out getting him on a contract and then only finding out he was injured beggars belief 

Ok - 30 mins. We all want our players to be Roy of the Rovers and go on mazy runs, winning games from lost causes.  I have only seen him that one time and don’t think it is fair to judge him on that when the rest of the team had already given up.

I would really like Kakay back, notwithstanding the conflicting comments (with his leaving twitter message) about not enjoying being with the Jags/living in Glasgow. There was definitely a player in there. 

Very good idea (weebaw1) about moving Williamson forward now that we have o'conner - never thought of that but worth a try as it would be playing to his strengths. 

I generally agree with Lady Isobel - talks a lot of sense, afraid there is a 'but' on this occasion. I would never have used the word 'composure' in the same sentence as the words 'Miles Storey'. 

I thought he was a quick mover but slow thinker! Can't comment on Austin - haven't seen him but agree with opinions that he should be given a fair chance. 

29 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I would really like Kakay back, notwithstanding the conflicting comments (with his leaving twitter message) about not enjoying being with the Jags/living in Glasgow. There was definitely a player in there. 

Very good idea (weebaw1) about moving Williamson forward now that we have o'conner - never thought of that but worth a try as it would be playing to his strengths. 

I generally agree with Lady Isobel - talks a lot of sense, afraid there is a 'but' on this occasion. I would never have used the word 'composure' in the same sentence as the words 'Miles Storey'. 

I thought he was a quick mover but slow thinker! Can't comment on Austin - haven't seen him but agree with opinions that he should be given a fair chance. 

You've been whooshed on that point :lol:

Kakay won't be back, certainly not this season. I expect Barjonas will play a similar role to his.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jagfox said:

You've been whooshed on that point :lol:

Kakay won't be back, certainly not this season. I expect Barjonas will play a similar role to his.

Now saw a lot of Barjonas but when I have he played the playmaking role in midfiled. The way i see it is Slater and Harkins will be moved on and Barjonas is a good and cheap replacement. This frees up funds to use elsewhere.

I think O'conner is more likely to be moved into right-midfiled than Williamson, who I doubt has the technique to play in midfield.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Now saw a lot of Barjonas but when I have he played the playmaking role in midfiled. The way i see it is Slater and Harkins will be moved on and Barjonas is a good and cheap replacement. This frees up funds to use elsewhere.

I think O'conner is more likely to be moved into right-midfiled than Williamson, who I doubt has the technique to play in midfield.

I doubt O’Connor will play right midfield, a position Barjonas has played. That’s not to say our fullbacks won’t play further forward depending on the formation Sir Ian sets us up in.

7 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Happy days. Harkins next please.

Miller is our leading scorer and other than Dools I can’t think of another Jag who has made double figures in recent seasons. He was infuriating at times and certainly seemed to be unhappy Since he didn’t get the managers job, but we would have been in a much worse place without him.

That said, Graham as a replacement looks on paper to be an upgrade

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Miller is our leading scorer and other than Dools I can’t think of another Jag who has made double figures in recent seasons. He was infuriating at times and certainly seemed to be unhappy Since he didn’t get the managers job, but we would have been in a much worse place without him.

That said, Graham as a replacement looks on paper to be an upgrade

He did ok and was not the worst by any means ....as has been said not many players get into double figures for us and he always put in a shift 

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He got longer than 15 minutes and the way I saw it he had nothing to lose as we had lost the game.  Like I said before it’s sadly been a waste of a signing and how Caldwell had not had him assessed for injury in Australia before flying him out getting him on a contract and then only finding out he was injured beggars belief 

Caldwell is not solely responsible for this. Others above him ought to be making sure things like this are checked.

A section of the support never took to him. A few factors. Doolan leaving, OF connection, Caldwell pal and the misses...anyway we move on...

I didn't mind the pointing and moaning also he certainly wasn't lazy but when your times up your times up 

Good luck to him going forward.

Forza Thistle!

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

I doubt O’Connor will play right midfield, a position Barjonas has played. That’s not to say our fullbacks won’t play further forward depending on the formation Sir Ian sets us up in.

My thinking as well. O'Connor is rated at Parkhead. On that alone I believe it's near inconceivable that a Celtic full back won't be able to play up the pitch as well as defend. Would imagine he'll also be comfortable playing right wingback. If his crosses are on par with Williamson's then we're more than just quids in. We've added a defender, something that Williamson just isn't.

Weebaw's suggestion of playing Williamson at right midfield has its merits. My concern would be as expressed before most of Williamson's good deliveries follow on the back of a smart overlap, when he's played in by a teammate playing right midfield. Something tho' that could maybe be worked on.

As for Miller, I like others am not sorry to see him go. I do tho' value his contribution earlier in the season, which I thought was remarkable for a guy nearing 40. A few months on however and it looked to me, that regardless of his experience, Kenny's inclusion in the team was a case of needs must.

I don't think we could seriously be pulling away from the bottom of the league if we were starting Miller every week. Whether ideally it would've been better if he remained a squad player rather than leave is questionable. It just may have made sense from a purely footballing point of view but I'm fairly certain the budgetary concerns will have trumped that. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

slightly surprised at the 2.5 year deal given he's 32 at the moment, but Miller is 40 so what do I know....   Maybe Graham wanted the security or we had to beat off other interest. Regardless, with Graham + Rudden onboard McCall has strengthened the front line significantly.   Good to hear he's looking for another "one or two" so maybe another exit or two also...

Positive words from McCall that this window is about addressing both the short term needs (avoiding relegation) and longer term aspirations. A difficult balancing act but just the approach we need. It's shaping up to be a very good window....  all we need is to see that reflected in results...

On 1/17/2020 at 4:13 PM, michael m said:

It’s a complicated issue if the club are trying to sign Brian Graham.  He has a one game ban to serve and if Thistle were to sign him today he could play tomorrow but then miss the game at Arbroath.  If however they waited to Thursday then he will serve his ban with County for their game on Wednesday so he’d be free to play Saturday. This is all assuming of course we are trying to sign him.  I’d guess if he is a target he will sign on Thursday next week.

Spot on!

4 minutes ago, fenski said:

How often have we thought that! But yes, I agree. All the signings make sense.

Good thing is that the players coming in at the moment are either tried & tested (Mackinnon & Graham) or clearly got good prospects. In other words, they're heard of in the Scottish game, which is a pleasant change.