January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Surely we have got to give Austin a chance..He's been here since mid July over 6 months and we have had 20 minutes first team game time..I reckon with wages .accommodation.flight here physio. we must be nearly at £30 grand..that's a fair amount to loose on just 20 minutes football....

Agreed

Reading  these post makes me think of a number of factors contributing to where we are at the moment. 

1. In terms of numbers and quality the sheer number of players coming into and out of the club since the summer of 2017 must be frightening and certainly doesn't suggest or enable stability. 

2. The performance of our managers - Archibald and  Caldwell (I don't know enough about others Chair, Director and so on but clearly  something went wrong around 2017 and I suspect is still not resolved), in terms of recruitment, selection, tactics, perhaps training and coaching. 

Our current situation is similar to Sunderland. They appoint Jack Ross (their Ian McCall) at a time the club was a total shambles (like PTFC). He gets them organised and looking like a football club/team (just what IMC is doing for Jags).                                                                                 Ross fails (twice) to get promotion and is sacked. However his successor is taking over a well organised  football club. The moral - Rome wasn't built in a day. Perhaps IMC'S destiny/role is to get the football side of PTFC back to a well run professional level. 

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Surely we have got to give Austin a chance..He's been here since mid July over 6 months and we have had 20 minutes first team game time..I reckon with wages .accommodation.flight here physio. we must be nearly at £30 grand..that's a fair amount to loose on just 20 minutes football....

That will be the Austin, who pulls out of games with injuries a coupe of days before such as last week when he said he would  not be fit to play on the saturday.  If the guy is going to be constantly injury prone or unfit then theres surely not a lot McCall can do

Edited by Third Lanark

Harkins gone. Another waste of a wage added to a seemingly endless list of wage thieves. Robson, Williamson, mansell, Austin and cardle can go as well but suspect we might just get two more out. I think many of us on here are just beginning to really understand just how much garbage we had in the squad. The money we’ve wasted would bring a tear to a glass eye

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Harkins gone. Another waste of a wage added to a seemingly endless list of wage thieves. Robson, Williamson, mansell, Austin and cardle can go as well but suspect we might just get two more out. I think many of us on here are just beginning to really understand just how much garbage we had in the squad. The money we’ve wasted would bring a tear to a glass eye

What we don't know is whether the replacements are any better. Jury is out after Saturday's debacle

Suspect IMC will, subject to any further signings, hold onto:

- Mansell (cover for Graham)

- Williamson (IMC has complimented him a couple of times and seems to rate him) 

- Saunders (cover for O'Ware & Brownie)

- Jones (cover for Rudden)

- Zanetta (IMC seem to rate him) 

Suspect Robson & Austin will leave  I would also like to see Cardle, Jones & Zanetta go as well. 

Just an opinion!! 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

That will be the Austin, who pulls out of games with injuries a coupe of days before such as last week when he said he would  not be fit to play on the saturday.  If the guy is going to be constantly injury prone or unfit then theres surely not a lot McCall can do

His performance against Clyde u-20s, where we won 9-1, but should have won 14-1, was nothing to shout. Even Hall and Robson looked  standouts in that game.

• Like 1

Obviously we don’t know if the transfer window will be a success or not.  I can see why people are saying it’s not going to be easy to get a whole new team to gel together.

but something has to be tried as many of those leaving had been here from a year to a year and a half and were not gelling despite having plenty of time to do so. A number were also playing in the relegation under 3 different managers now and it’s clear many were passengers and needed to be moved on

2 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

McGuffie has been freed by Ayr.  Could be heading our way? 

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

I think Stranraer is likely 

I'm sure that roundabout on the A77 isn't that confusing.

I'd see McGuffie very much as a squad player. Could certainly do a lot worse, tho'.

• Like 2

I respect McCall for taking a knife to the squad he inherited and moving on the likes of Harkins.

But as many have said, it will take time for this team to gel and start performing. And I’m also slightly uncomfortable about relying on young OF players on loan when we have our own Academy. 

Realistically our target this season is now 8th in the league, with perhaps the prospect of a better promotion challenge next season. 

• Like 2

Boss Mark Kerr admits the midfielder had become frustrated over a lack of game-time, starting under the previous management team.  Kerr confirmed he’s now been allowed to move on.
"Craig has had frustrations that have built up over a period of time under the previous management as he didn’t get anywhere near the game time that he was looking for. There is no doubting his ability but he needs to get some game time and that is why he is looking to move on. We thank Craig for all his efforts at the club and wish him all the very best for the future".

Sounds like neither IMC or Kerr rated the player?

3 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Boss Mark Kerr admits the midfielder had become frustrated over a lack of game-time, starting under the previous management team.  Kerr confirmed he’s now been allowed to move on.
"Craig has had frustrations that have built up over a period of time under the previous management as he didn’t get anywhere near the game time that he was looking for. There is no doubting his ability but he needs to get some game time and that is why he is looking to move on. We thank Craig for all his efforts at the club and wish him all the very best for the future".

Sounds like neither IMC or Kerr rated the player?

Looks like kerr having a go at McCall. Hopefully McCall will be using it to gee up the players on Friday.

only confusing thing is if kerr was unhappy about mcguffies alleged lack of game time under previous manager why did he not fix it and give him game time? And why did mcguffie not ask to be released under the previous manager and only has now under kerr

The level of activity in this window just emphasises what a  useless disjointed squad we had accumulated under Caldwell.

Very happy to see the back of journeyman players with no affection for the Club who were just going through the motions and collecting (stealing)  a wage.

As I have said on here before, I would be much happier with a team of youngsters with something to prove  working to a style of play that the fans can relate to. Frankly, I am not as bothered by results as style of play/ performance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emsca said:

The level of activity in this window just emphasises what a  useless disjointed squad we had accumulated under Caldwell.

Very happy to see the back of journeyman players with no affection for the Club who were just going through the motions and collecting (stealing)  a wage.

As I have said on here before, I would be much happier with a team of youngsters with something to prove  working to a style of play that the fans can relate to. Frankly, I am not as bothered by results as style of play/ performance.

Worth also noting that it was Archie that signed mcginty and slater

It's been a good window so far and I expect we will be talking of some more new signings over the coming days.

Not unhappy at all about any of the players that have left. The frightening thing is, there are still quite a few I wouldn't be sad to see go.

Recruitment looks to be decent so far though and I'm particularly happy that we are willing to take a chance on some youngsters like Rudden and Lyons.  

I don't think that players taking time to gel will be an issue. If there are six or seven players in our team that were better than what we had, it will be enough to get us out of trouble. The team will gel in time for next season's promotion push.

54 minutes ago, Emsca said:

I'm not convinced that it was just the players. For 2.5 years now we have had a succession of players who have not delivered at the level they did for other clubs, or even for Thistle in the past. I think that there is something more to this, perhaps the turmoil in the board room with now 3 changes and a 4th to come. I just hope that this current crop don't suffer the same fate.