January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

5 hours ago, exiledjag said:

If things stay as they are with no further signings or departures I think we can assess this window as successful.  IMO transfer activity represents a good balance between short term and long term needs with perhaps a bit more emphasis on the short term  needed. 

I expect my sanity will be questioned on this next point  but I have no problems with Williamson, Saunders and Mansell still being at Firhill. I feel there is something in each of these players that IMC (and coaches) can develop. 

On the other hand would not be unhappy if Robson, Cardle and Zanetta were released. The latter two strike me as players who will contribute to a team which is flying, like Dundee Utd, but are not suited to one which is struggling like PTFC! They don't appear to have the attitude, work ethic or commitment to the cause! 

Austin, haven't seen him but defer to fellow posters who have. Let him go! 

Not sure I agree with you regards Zanatta on two counts.

Last season he was with Alloa who struggled pretty much all season - like us. And I think most Thistle fans thought his signing was good business. We won’t know if the window has been successful until the end of the season or we are safe

56 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

I'm not saying he'd be a starter every week or play 90 mins - but if we need a goal with 15-20 mins to go, I'd back Doolan at this level. 

Agree regarding Morton.

Regardless of where he ends up, wish him all the very best.

36 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to disagree DD , the chances we’ve created this year with no forward even in the vicinity of the penalty box , I reckon with the way we are playing just now Doolan would get goals , we’ve just given Brian Graham a 2 and 1/2 year deal who has scored a total of 10 goals in  the last 2 seasons .

Doolan is only a year older than Brian Graham , I wouldn’t write him off just yet .

I guess you're entitled to your opinion, even if you are both wrong :D

I wouldn't have taken Graham for exactly your reasons, but we had to do something and I don't know who was available. Wighton would have been a great signing as he knows where the back of the net is at Firhill.

6 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I know where you're coming from with Zanatta, but he did impress last season at struggling Alloa

OK accept your point about his time at Alloa but he has not impressed this season at struggling Thistle! 

Who stays/who leaves is just my opinion. If Zanetta stays and shows the right attitude and in his own way gets stuck in I'll be happy! 

I'm not getting why people are thinking that this has been a great transfer window

Graham for Miller and McKinnon for Harkins appear to be like for like and I'd be surprised if Graham scores as many as Miller did. Likewise Bajonas for Palmer doesn't look to be a huge game changer. Brownlie for McGinty doesn't look to be that different. QotS fans were not exactly weeping on the steps of Palmerston at the thought of him leaving. And Lyon we wont see in action until next season which is hardly going to get us out of the current predicament.

That leaves Rudden and O'Connor for Slater and Wilson. Hard to make like for like comparison and I will admit that an attacker and defender for 2 midfielders does help the balance of the squad and addresspositions where we were lacking. However Rudden hardly set the heather alight down in Plymouth and O'Connor is largely unproven.

Maybe the new guys have a much better mental attitude and we'll find out over the next few games if that is the case, but I don't get why this is being touted as such a great transfer window. It will certainly have had a negative impact on the clubs finances which were rumoured to be in something of a mess.

Is it just that the new players were signed by golden bollocks McCall ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm not getting why people are thinking that this has been a great transfer window

Graham for Miller and McKinnon for Harkins appear to be like for like and I'd be surprised if Graham scores as many as Miller did. Likewise Bajonas for Palmer doesn't look to be a huge game changer. Brownlie for McGinty doesn't look to be that different. QotS fans were not exactly weeping on the steps of Palmerston at the thought of him leaving. And Lyon we wont see in action until next season which is hardly going to get us out of the current predicament.

That leaves Rudden and O'Connor for Slater and Wilson. Hard to make like for like comparison and I will admit that an attacker and defender for 2 midfielders does help the balance of the squad and addresspositions where we were lacking. However Rudden hardly set the heather alight down in Plymouth and O'Connor is largely unproven.

Maybe the new guys have a much better mental attitude and we'll find out over the next few games if that is the case, but I don't get why this is being touted as such a great transfer window. It will certainly have had a negative impact on the clubs finances which were rumoured to be in something of a mess.

Some good points there, but if there is "just" one reason I think it's that the dross that has gone was just that: proven dross. Relief, even if temporary. At least we can hope for something better from the dross talent that has just arrived.

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We will have to wait and see. I'm not sure what signings would have impressed you ? McCall has a balancing act to reinvigorate a largely poor team and for me it's mainly a gut feeling that we will improve. And.....we wouldn't be getting these players if they were brilliant or proven.  It's where we are.....

21 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Leaving aside his mistake last Saturday and every defender makes them let’s face it. But Queen of the south fans are generally very sorry to be losing brownlie - looking through pie and bovril and their own forum most seemed to consider him their best player this season 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I expect Brownlie to be a big upgrade on McGinty (though that's not exactly difficult). Rudden looks a decent signing. Miller stopped scoring after a decent start (and his goals per minutes on the pitch ratio this season is behind Doolan's last season).

More importantly, it feels that there is a plan behind the signings, which I simply didn't get with Caldwell. Graham is a very different type of striker to Miller, and has been signed to be a target man (which we've not had in a while). Rudden is different again and should complement Graham (hopefully). And as you say, the squad now has better balance.

There's always a limit to what you can realistically achieve in a January window, particularly when you're at the bottom of the Championship. In that regard, this window has (or at least feels) been better than expected. I know that doesn't mean it won't all go tits up, though- only time will tell.

• Like 9

The utter MISERY of people on here who don't want Doolan back.

Oh, wait ... it's the same people who are miserable about the signings in this transfer window, who are miserable about Archibald being back even as an assistant, who are miserable about McCall but were miserable about the manager before that, and the one before that, and so on. The last three years have been an absolute boon for you all. I'm sure you'll all be as happy as pigs in shite sitting in Firhill being wet and cold and miserable tonight. And if we lose, even better! You can be even more miserable.

We should change the club colours to grey and grey and black: The Maryhill Magyars Moaners.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Oh, wait ... it's the same people who are miserable about the signings in this transfer window, who are miserable about Archibald being back even as an assistant, who are miserable about McCall but were miserable about the manager before that, and the one before that, and so on. The last three years have been an absolute boon for you all. I'm sure you'll all be as happy as pigs in shite sitting in Firhill being wet and cold and miserable tonight. And if we lose, even better! You can be even more miserable.

We should change the club colours to grey and grey and black: The Maryhill Magyars Moaners.

In the words of the Fab Four (the other four, not Coulston, Bone, Rae, Lawrie):

The world is treating me baaad........

So expressing an opinion contrary to yours makes everyone Who does a  miserable sod ???? 

Doolan is finished at this level  pretty much in the same way he was just before he left. Decent striker In his time but this club have to sign better to move upwards and onwards. To be fair reading your post has made me miserable I’m away to take the dog out at least he listens 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ruchillnomore said:

So expressing an opinion contrary to yours makes everyone Who does a  miserable sod ???? 

Doolan is finished at this level  pretty much in the same way he was just before he left. Decent striker In his time but this club have to sign better to move upwards and onwards. To be fair reading your post has made me miserable I’m away to take the dog out at least he listens 

I would say more than decent in his time. I doubt that I'll ever see another striker score as many in the red n yellow (although I'd be delighted if I did). However that was in the past. One of the reasons that he had a better goals per minute ratio to Miller is because his legs were shot after an hour and forced us into a substitution (worse when playing with Squiddy which forced 2 after an hour). I think (my opinion and others may differ) this in turn cost us the chance to make tactical changes later in games.

31 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

I don't think I'm guilty. Normally I'm cheerleader for the happy clappers (although I've never hidden that I don't like McCall). I think if Archie learns from the mistakes he made then he could well be our next manager and I'd have no issue with that. I'd be over the moon if we won tonight.

This season my knickers are so wet I need incontinence pads.

19 hours ago, Jag said:

I don't think you can include Joe Cardle as someone who doesn't work hard or isn't committed.

OK perhaps been harsh with my comments on Cardle re commitment etc. 

Living where I do I don't get to see as many games as the majority of Jags fans. However I have seen Cardle a number of times now and IMO he hasn't contributed anything to the team being mainly ineffective and anonymous. That's how I formed my opinion. 

If you see him every week or so then you are in a better position than I am to assess him, however on what I've seen he has not impressed. 

Re LenzieJag & DarkPassenger

My comment "consider this window successful" 

I agree with your responses. You are both correct that we won't know if this is the case until results improve. I think the problem is my use of the word 'successful'. 

When typing the post I was thinking that the signings (and departures) in this transfer window looked 'better' when compared to recent (last 3 years) windows. 

In this window it looks like someone, presumably IMC, knows what they are doing and are working to a plan for the immediate and longer terms. This gives me some hope for the future. 

Re Zanetta. (LenzieJag) 

He has a lot of supporters on this forum and more importantly (for the player) IMC has publicly endorsed him. For me though he has a lot to do before I become one of them. A big step forward (for me) would be for him to lose the 'Amoo attitude' (ethargic, not interested)  which he seems to project when playing. 

Similar to my comments about Cardle - if Zanetta rolls up his sleeves and gets stuck in, in his own way, then I'll be happy. 

1 hour ago, West of Scotland said:

You missed an important bit: you forgot to mention that these people 'aren't real fans'.

1 hour ago, West of Scotland said:

Quite a miserable post tbh.... doolan has gone get over it 

• Like 2