Fan Ownership Working Group

Springburnjag

9 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Show me an instance where a Club is successful without them at the helm ? 

SD Eibar .....fan owned finished 14th in la Liga with an average attendance of 4500 amazing they have stayed in la Liga for 5 years ...........we could  compare them with say with Espanyol owned by a Chinese businessman who have been relegated 

I always get confused with these discussions. Do we not have fans who are also business people? If they say they support fan ownership have they stopped running their business? Also, as someone who is absolutely not a businessman I do feel a little slighted by the logical extension of the argument which basically says I have nothing to offer. We need to have a range of different backgrounds and experience in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Eh No - 2007 was when it fell apart - it didnt happen overnight 

I appreciate I over simplified it.  Fascinated by the whole RBS episode and how it almost brought financial armagedon to UK and world economies.  So many more people at fault and not just Fred.  Some great books on it.  Iain Martin particularly good.

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I always get confused with these discussions. Do we not have fans who are also business people? If they say they support fan ownership have they stopped running their business? Also, as someone who is absolutely not a businessman I do feel a little slighted by the logical extension of the argument which basically says I have nothing to offer. We need to have a range of different backgrounds and experience in my opinion.

Yeah I agree with a lot of that.

For me the past boards had some smart people with tangible success in running organisations like McGhees, Hunter Wellies, Apex Hotels and they had "skin in the game" in both private enterprise and the club. Nothing makes you concentrate than your own £ being at risk.  They also ran the club very well and managed to achieve success on the pitch.

Currently there is over promise and under delivery and especially now.  Silence.  Plus for me Jaqui Low seems like a chancer.  "PR Superstar" but makes plenty of PR mistakes.  Is where she is due to being involved with a lottery millionaire and in with the right people.  Not created anything of such.  Caldwell, Doolan, even getting "close personal friend" Hardeep Singh Koli to host a Ladies Day 2 seasons who has been hit with scores of accusations by women recently (and quite a few before) is a great example.  Car crash stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

And of course Real Madrid and Barcelona are owned by their members c100k and c180k respectively......but they would do better being owned by some business people  

And run by very Wealthy Individuals - the question was running the Club - Not Owning it 

a Football Club is a Business - you Run it like a Business - and you should have experienced people doing that  - who owns it is not relevant 

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

SD Eibar .....fan owned finished 14th in la Liga with an average attendance of 4500 amazing they have stayed in la Liga for 5 years ...........we could  compare them with say with Espanyol owned by a Chinese businessman who have been relegated 

This is not about Fan Ownership - thats not whats being discussed its who is best suited for Running a Football Club 

The same Chinese Owners got Espanyol into the EUFA Cup - Espanyol have narrowly avoided Relegation on numerous occasions  under previous owners - including a 90 th minute Goal Saving them - they simply ran out of luck - the Owners being Chinese had zero to do with it 

Our Owners are not Chinese we have been relegated  twice in the last few Years - we are in Tier £ of Scottish Football - but I forgot - its a Grand Conspiracy from Corrupt Scottish Football 

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

After the previous owner handed over a debt free Club - I never said its not possible - just very rarely does it work - I think outwith the Premier you simply dint have  the ability to balance the books without external financial support and you have to have very experienced business people at the helm to do that    

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Martin - in a small Club it gets down to one thing - Money - and balancing the books its as simple as that - Yes people have things to offer but your core has to be people who know how to generate revenue - its as brutal as that   

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

And run by very Wealthy Individuals - the question was running the Club - Not Owning it 

a Football Club is a Business - you Run it like a Business - and you should have experienced people doing that  - who owns it is not relevant 

So Barcelona debt is c750m 

real Madrid debt c500m 

man u debt c430m

english championship losses 2017/18.....£375m

to be honest I could do that .....business people one and all 

44 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So Barcelona debt is c750m 

real Madrid debt c500m 

man u debt c430m

english championship losses 2017/18.....£375m

to be honest I could do that .....business people one and all 

Debt doesn’t matter a jot if you can service it.

Madrid’s  yearly turnover is twice their debt and the club is valued at £ 4 billion.

There debt is less than half of their annual income and a fraction of their value. It’s the equivalent of a small car loan to you or me

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Martin - in a small Club it gets down to one thing - Money - and balancing the books its as simple as that - Yes people have things to offer but your core has to be people who know how to generate revenue - its as brutal as that   

Jim, I definitely agree that balancing the books is vitally important and whilst having a large budget does not guarantee success it is preferable to having a small budget. I am pleased you said the core when referring to people generating revenue as I am not pushing a no businessman approach, we definitely need them but we also need people with other skills as well.

I think that when fan ownership comes up, here or at other clubs, people start imaging the guy who sits behind them on matchdays suddenly making the key decisions. What is important is the people the owners put in place to generate revenue, make sure the office runs efficiently, deal with media, etc.

21 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Debt doesn’t matter a jot if you can service it.

Madrid’s  yearly turnover is twice their debt and the club is valued at £ 4 billion.

There debt is less than half of their annual income and a fraction of their value. It’s the equivalent of a small car loan to you or

well in their last accounts income is 757m and liabilities including debt are 606m

but of course to a point you are right 

in our situation you only need a plan to spend your income and no more which is simple enough as borrowing and debt are hard to get 

4 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I appreciate I over simplified it.  Fascinated by the whole RBS episode and how it almost brought financial armagedon to UK and world economies.  So many more people at fault and not just Fred.  Some great books on it.  Iain Martin particularly good.

Some people, including one on here, deny they even worked for RBS at the time. It’s a kind of ‘erase memory, take no responsibility’ syndrome.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 2:51 PM, Fawlty Towers said:

Jim, I definitely agree that balancing the books is vitally important and whilst having a large budget does not guarantee success it is preferable to having a small budget. I am pleased you said the core when referring to people generating revenue as I am not pushing a no businessman approach, we definitely need them but we also need people with other skills as well.

I think that when fan ownership comes up, here or at other clubs, people start imaging the guy who sits behind them on matchdays suddenly making the key decisions. What is important is the people the owners put in place to generate revenue, make sure the office runs efficiently, deal with media, etc.

Martin - in the Promotion Year we had a blend of the Board - the Team and Fans via Volunteers and OneThistle  making key decisions on things that affected the Fans - it covered everything you have stated - and it didn't need "Fan Ownership"  ................

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Martin - in the Promotion Year we had a blend of the Board - the Team and Fans via Volunteers and OneThistle  making key decisions on things that affected the Fans - it covered everything you have stated - and it didn't need "Fan Ownership"  ................

Whatever happened to that?

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Whatever happened to that?

After the First Season in the Premier there was a change in Policy - and it was decided that the Club would take on Full Time Staff to fulfil the roles that OneThistle had been carrying out for Free - there were also changes on the Board and Fan Marketing / Promotion / Matchday Experience came under the remit of a Director 

Similar happened on Matchday Operations  / Management also carried out for Free  

So the OneThistle Team were told they were surplus  to requirements and a number of Volunteers told they were no longer required - as there Role was being replaced by "Professionals" 

23 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

After the First Season in the Premier there was a change in Policy - and it was decided that the Club would take on Full Time Staff to fulfil the roles that OneThistle had been carrying out for Free - there were also changes on the Board and Fan Marketing / Promotion / Matchday Experience came under the remit of a Director 

Similar happened on Matchday Operations  / Management also carried out for Free  

So the OneThistle Team were told they were surplus  to requirements and a number of Volunteers told they were no longer required - as there Role was being replaced by "Professionals" 

So, maybe it did need "Fan Ownership"  ................ !

• Like 1