What do you remember about...Peter Cormack

east end jag

After six years in charge of Thistle, Bertie Auld decides that 1980 is the time to move on and do something else, somewhere else. And off he goes to Hibs. 

In his place, the club appoint ex-Hibs player Peter Cormac. And his four year tenure as Thistle boss begins.

So what do you remember and what are your stories from the 1980-84 management reign of Peter Cormac? Did his time in charge coincide with your only game in the Thistle reserves that you'd like to tell us about? Did Peter Cormac sit next to you in the University café and, over an egg roll and Irn Bru, tell you that a young guy called Maurice Johnston was gonna be the next big thing for Thistle? Or was a telephone call from  you  to the club office answered by Peter early one Wednesday and the subsequent conversation set you on a career path that you've never looked back on?

Thanks for all the Bertie Auld stories, it's really great to read people's recollections and thoughts on his time at Thistle. Please now feel free to do the same with Peter Cormac.

13 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Hope my memory is serving me right but im sure we got off to a flyer with him in charge. Won 6 or 7 league games in a row.....were top then collapsed. John buckley wonder goal v morton at cappielow a special memory if im right.....

You are correct about all of this. Great start and then collapsed. Think we finished 3rd/4th.

I don't remember much about those years but I'm surprised he was in charge for so long. I do recall a young Maurice Johnston walking along Petershill Road with a pair of boots in his hand on a midweek night around the time he broke into the first team. I guess he was going for a kickabout or playing as a 'ringer' for some local team. 

24 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Hope my memory is serving me right but im sure we got off to a flyer with him in charge. Won 6 or 7 league games in a row.....were top then collapsed. John buckley wonder goal v morton at cappielow a special memory if im right.....

There was one season when we won our first 7 league games under him but before that did he not manage us in the Premier and take us down?

Edited by ClydebankJag

I've never been able to really rate Cormack's level of dudness. In truth I think we've had a lot worse managers. A memory of back then highlights my own naivety as I thought PC's playing experience was bound to make him a successful manager. As a player he was classy, hard and very versatile plus had played at a really high level. What could go wrong?  :)