What do you remember about...Derek Johnstone

east end jag

19 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Colin West - was tremendous, so much so he got the call back to the Bridge. Scored in his first game back as well if I remember correctly.

Ah!  My ancient memory playing tricks.  It was West I was thinking of when I said Kelly.  Thanks.  Yes.  DJs brief time and more recent experience shows how vital it is to get the management appointments right.  If you get the right manager and give him resources you'll get the right players and the best out of them.  We always seem to follow a good manager with a bad one (or at least seem to have since after Auld left us).

• Like 1

I seem to recall a couple of bizarre 3-3 draws during his tenure I think against East Fife and Clyde when we fought back from being 3 -0 and 3-1 down with only minutes left. The reason these results were memorable was purely down to the fact that any fight in a Johnstone team was utterly absent for the entire season and indifference was rampant - - if that isn't oxymoron.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:52 AM, Mr Bunny said:

I seem to remember we had a few decent players at the time including loans of the likes of Dodds and Kelly (I think) on loan from Chelsea.  But Bates imposing Johnstone on us undermined everything.    Bates really was taking the p!ss with that appointment which showed his attitude to us.  I've often wondered why on earth he bought us. (Or was it just a controlling share?  I think the Reids were still around somehow.)

Paddy Kelly wasn’t on loan from Chelsea, he came to club from Nottingham  Forest 

On 1/7/2020 at 10:10 PM, JeanieD said:

I seem to recall a couple of bizarre 3-3 draws during his tenure I think against East Fife and Clyde when we fought back from being 3 -0 and 3-1 down with only minutes left. The reason these results were memorable was purely down to the fact that any fight in a Johnstone team was utterly absent for the entire season and indifference was rampant - - if that isn't oxymoron.

The 3-1 east Fife game had a last minute equalising penalty and I was standing behind the goal. That was the game when i decided that I wanted to go to the football every week and not just on the odd occasion. Reckon i was about 12 or 13.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, JAG1970 said:

Being photo’d on the pitch sitting at a table festooned with curries as part of a local restaurant sponsorship. I think he was wearing an XXXL top. That and subbing himself during a shameful 5.2 ? gubbing at home to Morton. Thankfully his reign was brief. 

That match signalled the first of my estrangements and unfortunately it wouldn't be the last as that dismal decade progressed.