Jags vs DABs

jagfox

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I think he decided we needed to take some action at ht despite controlling the game for 30 minutes.  Penrice has been good at LB recently and he saw him as an enforcer. 

Im surprised he hasn’t worked out Robson’s ineptitude sooner because we were absolutely screwed when he appeared.

Hes now had long enough to appreciate the awfulness of the squad so hopefully will get Robson, McGinty, Cardle, Miller, Saunders and possibly Williamson out the door ASAP with appropriate replacements. Even half of these plus the 5 already gone frees up 8 places.

I thought Austin did ok and Banzo good again. Penrice and Zanatta combined well for 30 minutes but Zanatta needs a kicking.

I wasn’t in favour of Mckinnon until today. He’d have kicked a few arses.

It's all about opinions but I don't get the amount of people that think Miller is kak.  To be fair to him he worked his socks off for that 30 mins constantly making a strikers run literally pointing to Williamson and Zanatta to put it in x place when they got wide. Not once did it happen and that isn't his fault.  He's done his run and job, they dither and for a striker it is so frustrating because first time or not all.

Bonzo was good, Zanatta is the only one that can ghost past people. Robson is so out his depth. No idea why fox hasn't come for corner for 1st goal and Oware was a joke for 2nd as Shankland ran 50 yards without a challenge. 

I enjoyed the 30 mins played great and had chances. They were always going to come out at some point and the capitulation 2nd half was 3 at the back Penrice's game just gone by moving inside .

Jones just nowhere that centre half was a beast. 

Hats off to shankland a joy to watch.

Watched United's goalie dominate his box all afternoon. What a stark contrast with Fox, shit scared to leave his line. Ultimately it didn't cost us against Inverness but by christ it did today. He has many good qualities as a goalie but if he is incapable of clearing out a corner 1 yard from his line he needs replacing. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Watched United's goalie dominate his box all afternoon. What a stark contrast with Fox, shit scared to leave his line. Ultimately it didn't cost us against Inverness but by christ it did today. He has many good qualities as a goalie but if he is incapable of clearing out a corner 1 yard from his line he needs replacing. 

While i don't disagree with you regarding Fox, we did make it easy for their keeper. Our set pieces were really poor and as @Third Lanarkhas already said Cole had one of his least effective games for us.

Confined to bed with influenza since Friday, in one of my delirious dreams we actually lost 1-9. So discovering the real result this morning was actually a kind of relief!!

It would take a phenomenal improvement in form for us to even hope to make the promotion play-offs. In fact it'll take a significant improvement to escape automatic relegation and the relegation play-off too.

Any of them can go and it won't be a great loss. Several of them must go; their replacements will not be any worse.

ETA: Finally found the courage to watch the highlights. Up until Utd scored we looked pretty good... great attacks but powder-puff finishing.

But the defence: it's an embarrassment for a full-time professional team.

Edited by Jaggernaut

13 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

All this rubbish about us having relegation form is absolute mince. This is the current form so if it stays consistent we will be well clear of the bottom two teams come May. Can we stop the knee jerk reactions to losing a match please?

C3AE73E5-7AA2-461A-BC77-84B78D78445C.jpeg

Yet we are in the relegation play offs with teams above us with games in hand?? We have the worst defence in the league. 

Edited by Garscube Road End
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Yet we are in the relegation play offs with teams above us with games in hand?? We have the worst defence in the league. 

Because we had an awful start so we had to catch up and close the gap. I’m not defending the team or the defence, simply saying all the knee jerk reactions to a defeat are tedious - and claims that we currently have relegation form are wholly incorrect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

Because we had an awful start so we had to catch up and close the gap. I’m not defending the team or the defence, simply saying all the knee jerk reactions to a defeat are tedious - and claims that we currently have relegation form are wholly incorrect.

Couldn't beat the bottom team twice, above Morton after beating them, then blowing that advantage now behind them with them having a game in hand, playing well against United then crumble after we go behind. This team have no mental strength. We are deep in a relegation battle, even with McCall in charge it's going to be a dark struggle to stay up. Yes, we can accept a defeat to the team running away with it, but the manner in which they capitulated is alarming.

Edited by Garscube Road End
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

All this rubbish about us having relegation form is absolute mince. This is the current form so if it stays consistent we will be well clear of the bottom two teams come May. Can we stop the knee jerk reactions to losing a match please?

We can’t keep a clean sheet in the league, so in every game we need to score at least 2 to get a win. That’s not knee-jerk, that’s fact and if we can’t stop every team from scoring against us we are in serious trouble 

3 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

The thing is that even with this recent form we are in the playoff spot and 3 points adrift. We are so inconsistent from game to game and like yesterday from half to half.

2 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

Agree with you more or less.  However the one worry in my mind is the inconsistency throughout the league (well with nine teams to be more accurate). Thus no one club around us ever appears to go on a prolonged losing spell and regularly pick up points against the teams currently 2nd, 3rd & 4th in the league. Put another way none of our rival clubs are in free fall, which makes climbing the table that much harder. That kinda explains how we can have had a decent enough last six games return and not really moved out the relegation/play off area.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with you more or less.  However the one worry in my mind is the inconsistency throughout the league (well with nine teams to be more accurate). Thus no one club around us ever appears to go on a prolonged losing spell and regularly pick up points against the teams currently 2nd, 3rd & 4th in the league. Put another way none of our rival clubs are in free fall, which makes climbing the table that much harder. That kinda explains how we can have had a decent enough last six games return and not really moved out the relegation/play off area.

We also did this last year. Had a really good run at the start of 2019 - something like 7 or 8 games unbeaten but still needed a win on the last game to avoid relegation/play off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Our set pieces were really poor and as @Third Lanarkhas already said Cole had one of his least effective games for us.

I don't think Cole's corners have ever been consistently great but yesterday aside they've been far better than what went before. Not sure why Penrice doesn't take more corners, particularly from the right. What summed up our set pieces yesterday was the "rehearsed" free kick in the first half when Cole played in Miller only for the latter to get flagged offside.!!!

4 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

Agreed. Dare I also mention the perpetual call that our next game is must win. Far too early for that panic.  I'm as disappointed as anyone with yesterdays result, but pragmatic enough to know that this is a massive rebuilding exercise. First window for McCall to hopefully make this team far more robust.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Couldn't beat the bottom team twice, above Morton after beating them, then blowing that advantage now behind them with them having a game in hand, playing well against United then crumble after we go behind. This team have no mental strength. We are deep in a relegation battle, even with McCall in charge it's going to be a dark struggle to stay up. Yes, we can accept a defeat to the team running away with it, but the manner in which they capitulated is alarming.

Agree entirely, the most worrying aspect is the lack of fight and character in the team.  It was a similar story yesterday to the heavy defeat at Dunfermline, when down to 10 men after a few minutes, we showed not an ounce of determination for the rest of the game.  Perhaps it's unfair to single out players, but Miller has vast experience, and should be using that to much better effect to rally the troops.  Instead he gives the distinct impression of trying to blame others and distancing himself from procedings.

18 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Agree entirely, the most worrying aspect is the lack of fight and character in the team.  It was a similar story yesterday to the heavy defeat at Dunfermline, when down to 10 men after a few minutes, we showed not an ounce of determination for the rest of the game.  Perhaps it's unfair to single out players, but Miller has vast experience, and should be using that to much better effect to rally the troops.  Instead he gives the distinct impression of trying to blame others and distancing himself from procedings.

I think that is a tad unfair on Miller. He might wave his arms about and look disappointed when play breaks down - but I don’t think you can accuse him of not trying to be involved unlike Cardle yesterday who appeared at least to me to try as hard as possible to stay out of the road of the ball

Yesterday  showed up all the weaknesses in the current Thistle team. 

They can dominate a game for spells, but can't score.

They give the ball away in midfield carelessly and don't have the players to win it back.

The defence leaks like a sieve with defenders prone to making mistakes. 

There's no point in looking for consolation in the thought that the game would have been different if only we'd scored in the first half hour.  Of course it would,  but experience of previous games indicates that's the problem right there.  Too often we don't score when on top and the opposition realise they've little to fear. 

The only way forward,  I think,  is with different players which, thankfully,  the manager is working on.

I'm fearful, though,  that we'll have to suffer more embarrassment next week before any new players can have an impact. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Agreed. Dare I also mention the perpetual call that our next game is must win. Far too early for that panic.  I'm as disappointed as anyone with yesterdays result, but pragmatic enough to know that this is a massive rebuilding exercise. First window for McCall to hopefully make this team far more robust.

If we are not already in the must win zone we are close. All the teams near us apart from Dunfermline have at least 1 game in hand. Our next league game is Arbroath away and so far our record against the 2 part time teams is poor. Played 5, drawn 4 and lost 1. Imo we need a win at Arbroath to hopefully get some confidence going. It is only another 4/5 league games and we are away to yesterdays opponents. The only league table that counts is the current league table and we are second bottom.

• Like 1

It seems that we lose games easily and win points with difficulty.

I have not gone back and checked every single result (so somebody may be able to point out the odd exception, but not to disprove the general rule), but I believe that the following stats apply to all our league games this season:

1) In all our draws we have  had to come from behind after losing the first goal.

2) In all our wins, we have either had to come from behind after losing the first goal, or, having scored first, we have been pegged back to level terms, and have had to go on to score a further goal (or goals).

These stats might show some surprising evidence of character and resilience in the team, but more realistically demonstrate that we are incapable of winning comfortably. We have never scored to take the lead and  then seen the game out.

On the other side, when we lose we often crumble very badly. Either we meekly surrender a lead, or after we concede a goal, the team caves in completely. There have been an alarmingly high number of such games this season.

Not wanting to enter into a manager comparison debate, but the trend identified above commenced under Caldwell (except that he had no wins!) and has continued under McCall, The collapses still happen and the draws are similar, but thankfully are now being balanced out by some hard earned wins.

So, in conclusion, some grounds for hope, but none for complacency.

I do think we are vulnerable. A pretty dodgy statistic is that in every single (league) game where we have scored the first goal, the opposing team has gone on to equalise.

However what we are now is inconsistent. That is a huge improvement on what we were at the start of the season. Even in games like yesterday I can see that, when the game is pretty much lost, McCall is using the game time positively to try out other things (Saunders at right back, Penrice in midfield, Mitch Austin on the pitch). I may be a bit chartable, but I just think he is still assessing what he has, and I feel positive that issues will be addressed and we will improve.

So, disappointing as yesterday was, I didn't come away with the depressed feeling I got earlier in the season.

46 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

It seems that we lose games easily and win points with difficulty.

I have not gone back and checked every single result (so somebody may be able to point out the odd exception, but not to disprove the general rule), but I believe that the following stats apply to all our league games this season:

1) In all our draws we have  had to come from behind after losing the first goal.

2) In all our wins, we have either had to come from behind after losing the first goal, or, having scored first, we have been pegged back to level terms, and have had to go on to score a further goal (or goals).

These stats might show some surprising evidence of character and resilience in the team, but more realistically demonstrate that we are incapable of winning comfortably. We have never scored to take the lead and  then seen the game out.

On the other side, when we lose we often crumble very badly. Either we meekly surrender a lead, or after we concede a goal, the team caves in completely. There have been an alarmingly high number of such games this season.

Not wanting to enter into a manager comparison debate, but the trend identified above commenced under Caldwell (except that he had no wins!) and has continued under McCall, The collapses still happen and the draws are similar, but thankfully are now being balanced out by some hard earned wins.

So, in conclusion, some grounds for hope, but none for complacency.

There was a horrible Calwellesque flavour about yesterday: inability to convert when on top; total surrender when we went behind (in his wildest dreams Neilson probably didn't see them scoring four yesterday);  incomprehensible substitutions that only made matter worse.

That said, I still believe we'll finish between 5ht and 8th.