Jags v Celtic

Jagsman

Can understand McCall playing three at the back and a defensive mid but such a set up virtually rules out building a goal. The quality of the hoof balls from our three centrebacks didn't help the long game either. Positives were we kept our shape and we had a few good individual performances. I guess another plus will be morale shouldn't have suffered. In fact tonight might well have helped the team. 

Very encouraging performance.. No failures in the team today imo.

Alot of people dying to punt Miller but i actually think there could be something in playing Miller and Rudden up front until the end of the season just from the chance Miller hit the post. 

Fantastic ball across from Rudden and actually a great run from Miller.. Miller getting alot of greif for missing but he got himself in the right place.

Thought Banzo and O'ware were excellent and Robson actually suprised me second half i thought he done really well being out of position. 

McKinnon could be very useful for us when fully fit.. spots danger wins the ball and passes it Simple but we really have missed someone like that.

Also agree with everyone praising slater. He was a breath of fresh air when he came on and Could play a big part this second half of the season, he looked sharp.

I actually think that performance could be the perfect platform for us to kick on and start a run.

• Like 1

Played pretty well. Banzo was my pick for our motm, but I though rogic was superb for Celtic.  He was very impressive.

We definitely need a rb though (I saw Christie Elliot behind us) - wish he was still here. I felt sorry for tommy robson. He was poor but played out of position, against the best team in the country. McCall regularly doing his nut in shouting at him. I actually enjoyed sitting behind Ian. His passion is infectious.

i feel strangely positive after another of defeat. I’m not even drinking.

on we go to Arbroath (although I think we are missing that due to sons pesky scout camp).

34 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Very encouraging performance.. No failures in the team today imo.

Alot of people dying to punt Miller but i actually think there could be something in playing Miller and Rudden up front until the end of the season just from the chance Miller hit the post. 

Fantastic ball across from Rudden and actually a great run from Miller.. Miller getting alot of greif for missing but he got himself in the right place.

Thought Banzo and O'ware were excellent and Robson actually suprised me second half i thought he done really well being out of position. 

McKinnon could be very useful for us when fully fit.. spots danger wins the ball and passes it Simple but we really have missed someone like that.

Also agree with everyone praising slater. He was a breath of fresh air when he came on and Could play a big part this second half of the season, he looked sharp.

I actually think that performance could be the perfect platform for us to kick on and start a run.

Miller may have got himself into the right place but he is paid a very very decent wage to put these chances Away - he is constantly failing to do this now.  We could probably have Forrest, harvie and mccart for what he is getting or at least 2 out of the 3

23 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A left sided full back/wingback should be able to play down the right side without too much difficulty. Certainly from a defensive point of view. It can kinda negate his contribution going forward and even against class opposition we still need our wingbacks to get up the pitch.. 

I know what you are saying but disagree. Both penners and tommy are very one footed. Their natural tackling shape and foot make it much easier for a left winger to pass them on the outside.  

We had few options today which is why I can understand why mccall played robson there. I’m sure he did that with reservations.  But we can all agree that it did not work.

tbf we may well have struggled if Williamson was playing. He puts in great deliveries but is poor defensively. Hence - we definitely need a rb. It’s our number one priority in my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Miller may have got himself into the right place but he is paid a very very decent wage to put these chances Away - he is constantly failing to do this now.  We could probably have Forrest, harvie and mccart for what he is getting or at least 2 out of the 3

Can you actually tell me how much Millers on? And how much Forrest, Harvie and Mccart paid ?

My point was against other teams in our division i can see Rudden and Miller forming a decent partnership just from the move leading up to Miller hitting the post.

Rudden knew where to put the ball for Millers run. Just saying.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Thought mcCall got the subs all wrong today..Bringing on Zanatta and Harkins. Why..????Jones  and Austin must have got to question why not us ..what did we do wrong in training..

Presumably the manager sees them every day and is best placed to make those decisions? Bottom line is most of us were fearful of a hounding. Yes it's a defeat but bit by bit the team is getting better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Thought mcCall got the subs all wrong today..Bringing on Zanatta and Harkins. Why..????Jones  and Austin must have got to question why not us ..what did we do wrong in training..

Possibly knowing it was unlikely we would get back into it hes thought keepi ng the right players fit for arbroath was more  important? The difference in the team since our last game against celric was huge. Organised, disciplined and looked as if their was an actual plan in place 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blakey said:

I know what you are saying but disagree. Both penners and tommy are very one footed. Their natural tackling shape and foot make it much easier for a left winger to pass them on the outside.  

We had few options today which is why I can understand why mccall played robson there. I’m sure he did that with reservations.  But we can all agree that it did not work.

tbf we may well have struggled if Williamson was playing. He puts in great deliveries but is poor defensively. Hence - we definitely need a rb. It’s our number one priority in my opinion. 

That's kinda agreeing, blakey. I don't think a full back/wingback should be so one footed that they can't tackle confidently with their weaker foot. I mean thru necessity and for as far as I remember right footed full backs often find themselves played at left back. 

More to the point tho' I do agree it was the lack of options that forced McCall into playing Robson down the right. And I also agree that as Williamson is so weak defensively it made little difference. Robson at least tries to tackle. 

Not sure if Williamson would fit in as a wide midfielder (his crosses usually come after an overlap) but his final ball is usually very decent. 

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks we should punt Penrice has got rocks in his or her head. From watching the game tonight he seemed to be one of the few Thistle players who wanted the ball at their feet or had the skill to do something meaningful with it when it arrived. 

Yes, we lost and no, we’re not in the next round but there was a lot to be proud of in tonight’s performance. And McCall’s after-match comments always leave me feeling as if we have the right man in charge.

Onwards and upwards. 

Admittedly only seeing the highlights, Penrice, although doing well to get back, makes a poor decision with his 'intervention'.

The second goal is typical of us where we stand back and don't close down the shot. We have conceded a fair few goals from deflections, there's nothing the keeper can do when the ball changes direction 5 yards after the ball has been struck. If your going to allow the shot don't stick out a half hearted leg at it. Again its poor decision making and totally avoidable goals. You start to wonder how many goals we have to lose before we learn from it.

I'm sure there are positives to be taken from the game and im looking forward to seeing us do the business next weekend up in Arbroath.

19 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Thought  O’Ware had an excellent game tonight. Won a lot of ball in the air and on the ground and really led the team. Bannigan,  Cole, McKinnon and Penrice all stood up to the task and did not show too much respect to Celtic. Penrice unlucky with first goal as ball broke to Griffiths after Penrice tried to retrieve Robson’s error.

Robson had a dreadful first half but showed a fair bit of character to give a much improved performance in the second half.

Thought Robson was decent  and the whole team in general did well.

Wouldn't blame Miller for the miss and felt it was a great move with good off the ball running and busting a gut to get there.

Celtic played as well as they could and we held up pretty well against them.

MacKinnon looks a good signing and O'Ware and Bannigan, who also had a fine game, benefited from his presence.

Not the hammering many of us expected, thankfully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CotterJag said:

Thought Robson was decent  and the whole team in general did well.

Wouldn't blame Miller for the miss and felt it was a great move with good off the ball running and busting a gut to get there.

Celtic played as well as they could and we held up pretty well against them.

MacKinnon looks a good signing and O'Ware and Bannigan, who also had a fine game, benefited from his presence.

Not the hammering many of us expected, thankfully.

I wouldn't either, had he not already done similar misses already this season

4 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I wouldn't either, had he not already done similar misses already this season

I've cursed him many a time and called him Kenny Misser.

He ruined many a Scotland trip by shooting straight at the keeper instead of scoring. Italy away being one example.

On this occasion though I won't be too harsh on him.

9 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Admittedly only seeing the highlights, Penrice, although doing well to get back, makes a poor decision with his 'intervention'.

The second goal is typical of us where we stand back and don't close down the shot. We have conceded a fair few goals from deflections, there's nothing the keeper can do when the ball changes direction 5 yards after the ball has been struck. If your going to allow the shot don't stick out a half hearted leg at it. Again its poor decision making and totally avoidable goals. You start to wonder how many goals we have to lose before we learn from it.

I'm sure there are positives to be taken from the game and im looking forward to seeing us do the business next weekend up in Arbroath.

I just hope it's not a return to "business as usual."

Edited by Jaggernaut