Friday Fright Night? - Thistle vs Ayr

jagfox

I was thinking about the Ayr game today, I don’t have any faith in the team to grind out a win or to even ‘be up’ for the game. I can see Ayr coming and getting stuck into us, no team talk required from Kerr at all, I just think they will want it more than us. Harsh possibly, as we’ve signed a lot of new players but the Arbroath result has completely destroyed any confidence I have, it’s as though a curse has been placed on us for the last few years,  Ayr have signed a big centre forward on loan and has apparently played well vs County and ragdolled the ICT defence at the weekend, he will probably single handedly cause our defences arses to collapse in the pre game handshakes! Apart from that I’m looking forward to the game! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Not really anyone inspiring in there. Maybe Rudden if he's fit.

Showing my age but would you be inspired by this team::

Goal: Niven

Full-Backs: Hogan  Brown

Half-Backs: Harvey McKinnon Cunningham

Forward Line: Cowan Whielaw Hainey Duffy McParland

Defence, particularly right back was suspect. 

Wonder if these players realised they were playing in a golden era for Thistle Late 1950s to Mid 1960s - third in league, European qualification!! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Wonder if these players realised they were playing in a golden era for Thistle Late 1950s to Mid 1960s - third in league, European qualification!! 

loved that forward line,           duffy and mcparland :worship:

donnie mckinnon center half, double shuffle billy cunningham and big bad john harvey

sandy brown what a player for us, and joe hogan joe came to us a center forward bit like elliott, fortunately joe could cross a ball

and of course george niven, happy days indeed  :clapping:

Looks like a lot of potential coming in and duds( with exception of a Slater IMHO ) going out .Unfortunately it’s a big ask of any players who hardly know each other to gel together at such short notice into a match winning team in this hellish dog eat dog league.

Can’t  see anything other than an Ayr victory given our inability to keep a clean sheet in the league this season...time to give Sneddon the nod and a proper run between the sticks instead of Fox ? .

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

That was the team I remember as a kid when I started watching Thistle...Very happy days indeed..

1 hour ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Looks like a lot of potential coming in and duds( with exception of a Slater IMHO ) going out .Unfortunately it’s a big ask of any players who hardly know each other to gel together at such short notice into a match winning team in this hellish dog eat dog league.

Can’t  see anything other than an Ayr victory given our inability to keep a clean sheet in the league this season...time to give Sneddon the nod and a proper run between the sticks instead of Fox ? .

If we can get a better attitude, committment and effort from the new signings than we did from the ones let go, I think we'll be ok this season.

Proper flowing football and awareness of how each player operates will definitely take longer, but having players that care would make a huge difference!

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

10 of those played in my first ever game at Firhill - December 1962 against Airdrie - George Smith was on the left wing, Davie McParland was right half and John Harvey was centre half - I was too young then to have any judgement on how good these guys were...but as I have posted before, when the half-time scores were put up on the board at what is now the Bing End, there was a huge cheer as Rangers were losing and we were top of the League. 

Team I remember from a memorable game when we beat yon great Dundee side (who went on to win the league) 3-0. Early '62 iirc

G.... Niven (his debut)

FBs....Muir and Brown

HBs....Closs, McKinnon & Cunningham

FWDs....Smith, McBride, Hainey (1), Duffy (2), & McParland

I challenge anyone to come up with a more goalscoring forward line.

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Team I remember from a memorable game when we beat yon great Dundee side (who went on to win the league) 3-0. Early '62 iirc

G.... Niven (his debut)

FBs....Muir and Brown

On a quick check of the Official History, I make that a total of close to 400 goals for Thistle in their careers. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

I think its extra hard for players coming in to a team at the bottom of the league. They get no time to find their feet and gel, as every mistake is amplified in its importance. Hopefully McCall is bringing in players with the right character as if they have fragile confidence to begin with, that is not a good combination!

Fox
O’Connor O’Ware Brownlie Penrice
 Cole   MacKinnon    Banzo    Cardle
               Graham         Rudden

Not ideal with moving Cole to the right but if we want to lose less goals then we need to provide more protection to the back four from midfield. 

How the new partnerships of the centre-backs and forwards do is going to be key. Ayr are bang in form and this should prove to be a entertaining match.

I would be surprised if McCall stuck with 3 at the back. Letting Forrest be isolated with O’Connor might not be the best thing to allow. 

13 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

That was the team I remember as a kid when I started watching Thistle...Very happy days indeed..

Same hear. Going to Firhill was magic in those day - fantastic atmosphere and really rocked when Cowan and McParland were in full flight! 

Remember ripping an excellent Kilmarnock team apart 3-2 after which with Neil Duffy said we should have won more convincingly. Killie I think finished above us in 2nd place. I recall Duffy after he retired from football and in a moment of reflection saying, as a general weakness, that Thistle team  just couldn't score enough goals! 

11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

G.... Niven (his debut)

FBs....Muir and Brown

I was actually at that game and remember that the Dundee Centre Half Ian Ure was in the frame for a Scottish Cap until Billy Hainey made mince of him to score a great 3rd goal. Ure's International debut was delayed for a while! 

I walked home down the road to the Round Toll in a dream! 

People don't realise how good that Dundee Team was. They hammered Rangers 5-1 at Ibrox, European Cup Semi-Finalists and yet thumped by the Jags at Firhill and very fortunate to beat us by the odd goal at Dens Park. 

What a team we had then and great crowds but for some reason we never had the money to build on the potential!!