Friday Fright Night? - Thistle vs Ayr

jagfox

Some of the new signings looked decent, some of them didn’t. 

I thought after a really poor start we played well and deservedly took the lead. 

Penalty looked soft but we played poorly after losing the equaliser. Too many players making the wrong decision and just an all round lack of quality from both teams.

I hope we can turn this round but I don’t see where a lot of fans get their confidence from. We don’t score enough and can’t keep a clean sheet, if that doesn’t change soon then there is only one outcome. 

Its sad to see how far we’ve fallen in such a short space of time. 

For me there is an air of gloom about the club and the team - evidenced by a better performance but an inability to get a positive result. From what I saw tonight the prospects for survival don't look great - play-off at very best (on the obvious assumption that there is a poorer side than us) and the delights that will probably bring.

Penalty was, in my view,  a penalty - soft but we would have been screaming for it if it had been at the other end - new signings look adequate but at times it felt like new wine in old bottles - or old wine in new bottles.

Weekend not totally ruined..........................................................

10 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

For me there is an air of gloom about the club and the team - evidenced by a better performance but an inability to get a positive result. From what I saw tonight the prospects for survival don't look great - play-off at very best (on the obvious assumption that there is a poorer side than us) and the delights that will probably bring.

Penalty was, in my view,  a penalty - soft but we would have been screaming for it if it had been at the other end - new signings look adequate but at times it felt like new wine in old bottles - or old wine in new bottles.

Weekend not totally ruined..........................................................

We may have been screaming for it but would our players have been? Too often not vocal enough when we have a potential penalty 

10 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Did we not have a decent shout for a penalty just before 1/2 time  when Doohan collided with Graham. 

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

In the same way mcginty could never score any time he ventured up for a corner so fox can never save a penalty and it was a pretty poorly struck one too

So how many pens should a keeper save? One out of 10. Two? 6? It's a poor argument if you're suggesting our reason for drawing is down to fox not saving a pen? No doubt someone will have some comparative analysis on it. 

3 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

So how many pens should a keeper save? One out of 10. Two? 6? It's a poor argument if you're suggesting our reason for drawing is down to fox not saving a pen? No doubt someone will have some comparative analysis on it. 

AFK posted stats earlier this week that suggested that historically the Jags have failed to score with 29% of penalties awarded in official competition.

No idea if similar stats are even possible for penalties awarded against us..

However, to expect any Jags keeper - or indeed any keeper - to save a penalty is an expectation that won't regularly give pleasure.

14 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Interesting opinion re the penalty JeanieD.

I always view controversial/penalty/red card incidents from the point of view of 'what would I want if that was me or my team'.'

Using that metric, that was not a penalty for me - there was no bodily contact that changed his trajectory, or took him off balance.

Watch it back BR , soft penalty but Lee O’Connor had a hand on his back 

• Like 1

The back four look like a proper back 4. Brownlie looks a real physical presence and O'Ware was won every ball he went for. O'Conner is a big upgrade on Williamson.

Graham was excellent and totally bullied the air central defenders. Cardle has his best game in a while and I think that was down to having a proper striker like Graham creating space for him.

The midfield looked good in the first half but as soon as MacKinnon tired we started to lose the upperhand in the centre of the park. Barjonas doesn't have the positional sense of MacKinnon and a bit afraid of getting stuck in.  MacKinnon may be lacking fitness but his positional sense was very good.

Even though we were second best second half we had so many opportunities that just required a decent final ball and we squandered all of them. Zannatta was probably the worst offender so wasn't surprised he got subbed. Cole was decent in midfield and always looked composed but his delivery from corners and free kicks in the second half was pretty poor.

I might be wrong but I don't think we look like a team that are relegation material. If we can get Rudden and Graham time to develop a partnership all the other components are there for a decent team.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would hope more than fox has in his entire career

Ok. I get it. You dont rate fox. But if stats show his pen save ratio is the same or better than most keepers,  you would reassess your opinion?  For the record I have no idea what the stats are but facts may be important.

28 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would hope more than fox has in his entire career

Never been on this website and no idea of accuracy but in his entire career they record 43 penalties faced - 35 Goals, 8 saved:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scott-fox/elfmeterstatistik/spieler/60923/plus/0?saison_id=ges&wettbewerb_id=

17.777% chance of saving one.

16 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Watch it back BR , soft penalty but Lee O’Connor had a hand on his back 

Nothing against your opinion jls, but since when did a hand on a back ever on its own warrant a penalty?

Did it stop him reaching the ball?

Was his movement affected?

My opinion only, but had that been at the other end I would not have expected a penalty in our favour.

39 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

AFK posted stats earlier this week that suggested that historically the Jags have failed to score with 29% of penalties awarded in official competition.

No idea if similar stats are even possible for penalties awarded against us..

However, to expect any Jags keeper - or indeed any keeper - to save a penalty is an expectation that won't regularly give pleasure.

Think 7 out of 10 are scored.

One of the best was Graham Alexander, I remember.

Think he scored 60 of 63 or something.

The Ayr boy knew exactly what he was doing and would have put it the other way if needed.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

Jings, that's a weak argument. Have a look at the table. Tonight was a must win game. We failed.

You just cant wait to spout your negativity.

Yes we are bottom and have not had  a good season but moves are afoot to change things. We need to get behind the team and manager NOT start all the negative shite.

We shouldnt have been in the position of losing the penalty. There were 3 Thistle players in vicinity of the ball pretty much unchallenged prior to the ball being played to Forrest. The CB had a clear view and run and was better placed to deal with it, for some reason Bannigan makes an unbelievable decision to deal with it and they make an erse of it. Forget blaming Fox this time, the communication between our players cost us. Bannigan is a liability

1 hour ago, dibble said:

Overall deserved to win it.  With that many new players always going to take a few games to gel. We will get better as the season goes on. Thought players looked up for it which is main thing. Worst thing to do is panic. 

Agree entirely. Ideally you want to introduce new players gradually. We don't have that luxury. Possibly the Bannigan/Brownlie mix up an example of this.

Tho' we desperately need the points we have to be realistic. Ayr are a good outfit and we were unlucky not to win. If this was August I'd be upbeat about things. Just hope we have enough time to get out of this mess