Friday Fright Night? - Thistle vs Ayr

jagfox

I think any Jags fan still looking at the playoffs are kidding themselves on. 

Survival this season will be a success (in relative terms).

The new players need to get themselves up to speed straight away for us to have any chance. Thankfully it looks as though Brian Graham has and hopefully Rudden will join him. 

Mackinnon isn’t fit and carrying extra weight but I thought he played the defensive role well last night. His positional sense is very good which helps to make up for his lack of pace.

Zanatta was a bit more positive as well.

Cole’s decision making last night wasn’t great, needs to get his head up a bit more. 

Realistically we need to win next week. The longer we wait for our form to turn the more detached we’ll become. 

11 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Defence much improved tonight. Would have had our first clean sheet of the league season if Bannigan hadn't have ****** up so spectacularly. Wasn't sure if it was a penalty or not but the ref shouldn't have been given a decision to make. That aside where in God's name do they get them from. Ayr were the dirtiest, nastiest side I've seen at Firhill all season but I'm reasonably sure it ended with two bookings apiece. Some decent performances tonight, Cardle's best game of the season, but in truth we need to create more chances. 

Wat was bannigans ****up? 

That football team played better than any others I have seen this season {home games against Championship teams] But in saying that, they were terribly disjointed, that I guess is to be expected I a team of strangers, I have to hope they will bond and start to play as good as they look on paper.

Ominous for me was the fact I was surprised when we scored, as up to that point we just did not look as if we could get a shot on target. I felt the penalty was soft, but the nature of how Ayr were given the space that allowed the attack that lead to the penalty was more disappointing, again these basic errors should disappear with the team playing and training together, I hope IMC uses the game against Queens Park next week as an extra training session to get the new players bedded into the team.

I thought Joe Cardle played fine, Zanatta flattered occasionally, and Graham did, with some skill, what Lewis Mansell has spent 18 months trying to do!

I thought Penrice and O'Connor were excellent, it is heartening to watch defenders do their job well, and with little fuss. I can understand fully why Celtic have signed the lad O'Connor.

We have to hope we get an 8th position in the league, as we may struggle to play against the likes of Raith Rovers or Falkirk in the play-offs. Those two are playing well, scoring freely and have optimism and momentum on their side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

That football team played better than any others I have seen this season {home games against Championship teams] But in saying that, they were terribly disjointed, that I guess is to be expected I a team of strangers, I have to hope they will bond and start to play as good as they look on paper.

Ominous for me was the fact I was surprised when we scored, as up to that point we just did not look as if we could get a shot on target. I felt the penalty was soft, but the nature of how Ayr were given the space that allowed the attack that lead to the penalty was more disappointing, again these basic errors should disappear with the team playing and training together, I hope IMC uses the game against Queens Park next week as an extra training session to get the new players bedded into the team.

I thought Joe Cardle played fine, Zanatta flattered occasionally, and Graham did, with some skill, what Lewis Mansell has spent 18 months trying to do!

I thought Penrice and O'Connor were excellent, it is heartening to watch defenders do their job well, and with little fuss. I can understand fully why Celtic have signed the lad O'Connor.

We have to hope we get an 8th position in the league, as we may struggle to play against the likes of Raith Rovers or Falkirk in the play-offs. Those two are playing well, scoring freely and have optimism and momentum on their side.

Our next home game is against Raith , might give us an idea of where we are compared to them.

Both teams struggled last night when they had the wind behind them. Ayr in the first half and thistle in the second were constantly over hitting passes and crosses.

I suspect the wind was also a factor in the goal we lost. I think Brownlie gets the ball easily if the wind doesn't hold it up and Forest's first touch probably carries through to Fox if there had been no wind.

I suspect it was a factor in the lack of shots on target.

However I think the BBC missed Cole's shot on target from a free kick at the edge of the box and touchline in the first half. Doohan fumbled it and Graham wasn't far from getting the rebound. You could tell Cole was definetly going for the shot and not a cross. He tried the same from an almost identical position in the second half but under estimated the strength of the wind and put its over the bar.

On another note. There is a set of results today that means we could be 4 points from second bottom but only 6 points from 4th top. Its a crazy league and impossible to know at this stage if we're in a relegation battle or on a late run to the promotion playoffs. If we're in the spot we are just now at after we play Morton at home at the end of March then I'd be worried. If we're in touch with 4th place at that point who knows whats possible.

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Going to be a hell of a revival , we’ve got 23 points from 23 games ( 23 from a possible 69 points )

Think it’s time for everyone at the Club to start talking about a relegation battle rather than play off places and then go again next year .

Yep, a bit of honesty would help us all. 

IMac has to pull us up to 8th, that’s his challenge this season. If he doesn’t, all our short/medium term plans are up in the air. 

Sure as hell I don’t want us dropping into the third tier...

I thought we immediately went on the back foot and looked our old vulnerable selves once the penalty was scored. We looked nervous and unsure and passes were rushed into giving the ball away. It’s going to take a few victories or avoidance of defeats to build confidence. 

On a a positive I thought Brownlie was formidable and helped solidify the defence, and Graham is going to be a handful for all defences. As someone here said, if it was the start of the season I wouldn’t have any concerns.. but we can’t afford more than a couple of slip ups going forward .

yes the penalty was soft but Cardle, after being clattered in the halfway line, how he avoided a red card for elbowing (twice?) the players head/face whilst they were lying on the ground was amazing.

onwards and upwards hopefully 

19 minutes ago, dibble said:

This league baffles me it really does. Arbroath and Alloa both winning away at moment at moment and us with a decent squad of players can’t buy a win recently.  I just don’t get it. How do both those teams keep grinding out resukts?

Both Alloa and Arbroath are both well coached and look very well organised for part time teams 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

All going wrong so far.

Maybe, just maybe, we need to change the mentality we've had since 2017 of looking out for other results to go our way, and instead start focussing on getting the maximum available out of our own games.

That mentality goes back a lot further than that.

18 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

AFK posted stats earlier this week that suggested that historically the Jags have failed to score with 29% of penalties awarded in official competition.

No idea if similar stats are even possible for penalties awarded against us..

However, to expect any Jags keeper - or indeed any keeper - to save a penalty is an expectation that won't regularly give pleasure.

801 penalties have been conceded of which 570 have been converted (29%).  There is no difference between PT and opposition over 6000+ matches.

In terms of his spells with Thistle, Fox had faced 26 penalties and saved 3 (11%).

5 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

801 penalties have been conceded of which 570 have been converted (29%).  There is no difference between PT and opposition over 6000+ matches.

In terms of his spells with Thistle, Fox had faced 26 penalties and saved 3 (11%).

Great stuff AFK - many many thanks.

Enlightening to see the similarity in conversion rates at either end.

Scott Fox clearly needs to get his hands working if he wants to achieve even bang average status..............

16 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Great stuff AFK - many many thanks.

Enlightening to see the similarity in conversion rates at either end.

Scott Fox clearly needs to get his hands working if he wants to achieve even bang average status..............

To make that assertion we would have to see the save ratio of all goalkeepers.....otherwise it is just guesswork.

1 hour ago, sandy said:

So as it stands we are now 4 points behind Alloa and 6 behind the Pars. Both QOTS and Morton have games in hand too.

Let that sink in, its fecking uncomfortable.

Usually best to wait til the results are in. 2 points behind alloa and qos. 4 behind morton. Hardly unassailable. No guarantee that morton and qos will win their games in hand.  Long way to go yet.