McCall

Garscube Road End

1 hour ago, dibble said:

Think McCall believes his on hype. We were a better team before the break no doubts. He thought that by making lots of changes he could pull off a miracle and make the play offs.  Losing miller has been bad as his experience and link up play we can now see was important . Losing kakay was also a blow. I posted during the window was a big risk making so many changes.    No one hear is going to tell me letting slater go was also not a huge mistake. The game last night was crying out for someone like him and replacing him with some old firm reserve oh dear. Our midfield passing was dreadful . 

Most fans wanted miller and slater gone, so fine lines. The team has went down the pan since December, so mccall should take the flak. I agree graham should be given the captains armband. That said brownlie even more key as the defence a huge problem. It would also help if we actually could score first! You just know that if we lose the first goal we are doomed. Our losing mentality is self evident and it's difficult to see how that will change. Personally I'd recall the Montrose boy Lyons and see if that helps. 

Here is something I can not get my head around...( a list that gets bigger everyday)

I know he is a club legend,However...
If a for a season and a bit that incl relegation.With a defence that shipping a shed load of goals...

Why bring back a member of that management ??? Even as assistant ?? 
Set play were a problem during this time. If the players change but the problem continues surely that’s management ??

Fred Franc and Jordan Turnbull . . . Anyone ?!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dibble said:

No one hear is going to tell me letting slater go was also not a huge mistake. The game last night was crying out for someone like him and replacing him with some old firm reserve oh dear. Our midfield passing was dreadful . 

I'm not too sure about a huge mistake but it certainly looks like a strange decision. Slater was let go as he was unlikely (rightly or wrongly) to feature much. As you say he's replaced with an O.F. loanee, who in turn doesn't look to me like he'll be likely to feature any more than Slater was doing latterly. Highly unlikely but Barjonas may turn out in time to be an excellent midfielder with a great range of passing. But time's something we sure as hell don't have, so why invest it on a player that's not even ours? 

• Like 1

Real apathy with our fans as well. Any other club would be protesting and beating down the doors, yet so many of our fans seem resigned to it. 

Jacqui back involved, nepotism in terms of coaches and staff, and a complete lack of responsibility at boardroom level. I fear that relegation to the third tier could be the least of our issues in the coming years. 

What were McCall’s after match comments? I think deep down he knows we’re relegated. I’d almost rather go straight down than scramble into the play offs and go down with a whimper against a team who will be more up for it than our shower. The few minutes I watched on tv there were a couple of shots of Archibald stood there, arms folded watching on impassively as he did when we limped out the premier. It’s clear he wasn’t going to get another gig anywhere. Just feels like we felt sorry for him so give the guy an assistants job. Embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

What were McCall’s after match comments? I think deep down he knows we’re relegated. I’d almost rather go straight down than scramble into the play offs and go down with a whimper against a team who will be more up for it than our shower. The few minutes I watched on tv there were a couple of shots of Archibald stood there, arms folded watching on impassively as he did when we limped out the premier. It’s clear he wasn’t going to get another gig anywhere. Just feels like we felt sorry for him so give the guy an assistants job. Embarrassing.

McCall thought we played well in the 1st half and it was a travesty we were trailing at half time. Guy is delusional. 

20 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

McCall thought we played well in the 1st half and it was a travesty we were trailing at half time. Guy is delusional. 

We didn't play well first half but we had 3 or 4 half decent chances. Raith had one chance and took it. It was the first 30 mins of the second half we didn't show up.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

I just shook my head at that.

His pre-match spiel about (was it?) 'taking 5 or 6 thousand to the Cup Final was, apart from tempting fate,  was as Walter Mitty-ish as anything Caldo the Clown ever came away with.

Maybe it's time for the white envelopes to come again.

Bunter has now definitely used up all his goodwill amongst the Jags support. His determination to keep Fox between the sticks (as one example) now looks like nothing more than pig-headedness.  As for 'rating' O'Ware and Bannigan being 'the best midfielder in the division', that begins to look more like a case for treatment.

Just now, dl1971 said:

We didn't play well first half but we had 3 or 4 half decent chances. Raith had one chance and took it. It was the first 30 mins of the second half we didn't show up.

Imo we did't really put much pressure on them until we scored , which was with about 8 minutes to go. We are in a league that has 2 part time teams in it. We have a budget that is up in the top 4 budgets in this league. McCall was well backed at the January window. If we go down it is a massive under achievement and everybody involved, including McCall should be looking in the mirror and asking themselves should they still be at Firhill next season and will they be able to get us promoted back to the Championship at the first time of asking. A massive 12 games ahead.

After last nights depressing performance I've tried to get myself in a better frame of mind for what lies ahead. If you're loking for an optomistic way of looking at things then I think its the following...

With Alloa drawing last night we are only 3 points off 9th and have played the same games. Considering how bad our results have been in January we're not adrift. If QOS lose today then theoretically we could be joint 8th next Saturday if results go our way and at that point QOS would only having 1 game in hand. With QOS and Morton having to play each other twice its hard to see how we get detached so we perhaps have time to recover.

Last nights performance was awful however we were missing some first team starters who will be available for Dunfermline next week (i.e. Zanatta, Brownlie hopefully Mackinnon and Rudden) and a couple of better options for subs (Barjonas and Mayo)

The performance v Ayr at home suggested that the recruitment in January was positive with perhaps the only problem being it didn't go far enough. We should have probably signed another wide player so that we weren't reliant on Cardle. Without seeing Mayo its difficult to know how reliant we are on O'Ware at left centre back or MacKinnon as a holding midfielder.

What is obvious is that the duds in the squad are still largely still those pre-McCall. Austin, Mansell, Jones, Williamson and Robson look to be not good enough and question marks appearing over Saunders, O'Ware, Cardle, Zanatta, Fox and Gordon. So far of the McCall sigings Graham, MacKinnon, O'Connor and Brownlie are clear improvements. Hopefully Rudden and Mayo will be when we get to see them. I've not been impressed by Barjonas but the early assesment of McCall's signings suggest he still has an eye for a player therefore if we can scrape by this season then next season has promise.

With the ICT game being postponed we have 10 days to prepare for QOS at home on the 3rd March which looks like a 6 pointer.  QOS will have had to play Morton on Saturday prior to playing us which will be 2 6 pointers in a row for them so you would like to think we are getting them at the best time.

Overall I still think we won't really know have a sense of where we are until we play Morton at home on the 28th March. With 3 out of 5 at home in March and all the home fixtures against those around us (QOS, Alloa and Morton) it looks the make or break month. If we win our home games between now and Mortonon the 28th the situation will look entirely different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, laukat said:

After last nights depressing performance I've tried to get myself in a better frame of mind for what lies ahead. If you're loking for an optomistic way of looking at things then I think its the following...

With Alloa drawing last night we are only 3 points off 9th and have played the same games. Considering how bad our results have been in January we're not adrift. If QOS lose today then theoretically we could be joint 8th next Saturday if results go our way and at that point QOS would only having 1 game in hand. With QOS and Morton having to play each other twice its hard to see how we get detached so we perhaps have time to recover.

Last nights performance was awful however we were missing some first team starters who will be available for Dunfermline next week (i.e. Zanatta, Brownlie hopefully Mackinnon and Rudden) and a couple of better options for subs (Barjonas and Mayo)

The performance v Ayr at home suggested that the recruitment in January was positive with perhaps the only problem being it didn't go far enough. We should have probably signed another wide player so that we weren't reliant on Cardle. Without seeing Mayo its difficult to know how reliant we are on O'Ware at left centre back or MacKinnon as a holding midfielder.

What is obvious is that the duds in the squad are still largely still those pre-McCall. Austin, Mansell, Jones, Williamson and Robson look to be not good enough and question marks appearing over Saunders, O'Ware, Cardle, Zanatta, Fox and Gordon. So far of the McCall sigings Graham, MacKinnon, O'Connor and Brownlie are clear improvements. Hopefully Rudden and Mayo will be when we get to see them. I've not been impressed by Barjonas but the early assesment of McCall's signings suggest he still has an eye for a player therefore if we can scrape by this season then next season has promise.

With the ICT game being postponed we have 10 days to prepare for QOS at home on the 3rd March which looks like a 6 pointer.  QOS will have had to play Morton on Saturday prior to playing us which will be 2 6 pointers in a row for them so you would like to think we are getting them at the best time.

Overall I still think we won't really know have a sense of where we are until we play Morton at home on the 28th March. With 3 out of 5 at home in March and all the home fixtures against those around us (QOS, Alloa and Morton) it looks the make or break month. If we win our home games between now and Mortonon the 28th the situation will look entirely different.

Graham is the only new signing that has impressed me, might take a bit of time for the others to gel. The problem is we don't have time. We have winnable games, the only thing is we seem to have forgotten how to win. Our last victory was against Morton 28th December. Also our home league form is terrible 2wins so far this season. Hope you are right and we don't come detached, finishing  8th seems like a dream now.

12 minutes ago, laukat said:

Win 3 home games in a month ! Remind me again how many home league games we have won so far this season ?

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Following on from laukat's attempt at optimism I'll add that Mayo is a physical player for his age and can play in two of the positions where we're at our weakest. That's about the least miserable bit of hope I can scrape up today.

People who I’ve spoken to rate Mayo but it’s a huge step up from u20s football especially playing in a team that’s in a relegation battle.

Old Firm loannees are a huge gamble from Ian McCall to get out of this mess .

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Win 3 home games in a month ! Remind me again how many home league games we have won so far this season ?

I did say it was an optomistic way of looking at things its most definetly not a prediction of what will happen!

The nature of the league we are is that teams go on runs that come from nowhere and dissapear for no reason. For example we looked gone when 1-0 down away to QOS in early December but then won 3 out of 4 that month to get off the bottom. We had the same team, same tactics but went from bottom of the form league to top for no real reason other than a bit of luck (QOS goalie making 2 mistakes) giving the team a confidence boost.

Morton looked gone after we beat them at Cappielow at the end of December having only won once away from home. Since that game their squad has got worse but their results have got better and they took 9 points out of the next 15 are unbeaten in 5 in the league.  I think they'll struggle to sustain that but they have gained confidence.

You can see the same runs in QOS, Arbroath, Dunfermline and Dundee. Alloa are possibly the only ones in the bottom half without a recent run of loses but they've done that by getting slightly more draws than the rest of the pack. Alloa may ultimately get dragged into relegation because they don't have the ability to convert 1 point into 3 points.

From what I have seen I would suggest that the teams in the league are of such a poor standard that none of them can sustain good results for more than 5/6 games conversley none of them are that much poorer than the rest that will go on a run of longer than 5 or 6 games without picking up points.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

McCall has put his faith in Bannigan and O'Ware as our leaders on the park. 

I'm beginning to think Caldwell wasn't far off the mark in wanting to move this pair on?

They've shown little to justify that responsibility from what I've seen.

I do think this is very key issue and one Ive been thinks about.   Bannigan yes gets on the ball a lot and links play together in the middle of the park - however never manages to make a defence splitting pass, never creates chances , never scores , not great In the air and is very predictable and very one footed.  There are many better midfielders in the divison. thought the raith central defenders were as good as big tam I’m afraid. 

Edited by dibble
  • Like 1

I get the impression that iMac thinks he is picking the same Bannigan that he sent out on loan to Ayr 9 or so years ago. With every respect to Stuart, he is nowhere near the player he was before his injury. If he were, he wouldn't be playing for us right now.

O'Ware I knew nothing about before he signed apart from his statistics, which were decent. Like Stuart, he doesn't appear to have recovered the level of potential he supposedly had before his injury.

In summary, maybe iMac should consider moving these two on and starting afresh with new fulcra to his squad. Like others, I like the jib of Brian Graham's onfield attitude. Maybe that's a foundation to move us on from the unacceptable onfield standards that have polluted performances since 6th April 2017.

3 hours ago, laukat said:

Amidst all the doom and gloom, at least your positive post has cheered me up.

18 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Well. I'm afraid McCall is proving to be a fraud. We are worse than we were under Caldwell. He gives contract extensions to O'Wate, Bannigan and Penrice. An utter disgrace. He saw what our problems were and he hasn't scratched the surface of sorting out. Hopefully he will have the grace to walk away and take his pals Archibald, Britton and the three named players with him. And a few more guys on the park as well. An absolute bunch of wage thiefs.

yeah wondered how long it would take you this week.

Is that your only solution to any problem- change the management and start again?? Ad infinitum.

Yes its annoying, yes its frustrating, yes I am angry, but as a Thistle supporter I truly think this is when we need to pull together, not start looking for scapegoats.