McCall

Garscube Road End

Could easily be either Harkins or Donnelly. Often when you hear talk of "natural ability" it's followed with a "but" so on that basis alone I'd go with Harkins. McCall tho' could just be as easily be talking about a guy with great talent with the ball but offering nothing else. Step up to the plate, please, Ryan McStay.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Now that we are to play in League 1 next season, the decent thing for McCall to do is fall on his sword and take his two buddies with him. He has been an abject failure and if he was half the manager he thinks he is, we would not have been in this position. Do the decent thing Ian and go now.

Can we afford to bin him ? , he has definitely got it wrong without a shadow of doubt, took over from Caldwell after 6 games . With his experience should have made us hard to beat first of all , messed around with formations and personnel too much , we never had a settled team .

January window was a disaster , filling it with inexperienced players O’Connor, Barjonas , Mayo and an over the hill McKinnon.

If that had been Caldwell opinion wouldn’t have been divided, he’ll probably get another chance to get it right but IMO the jury is out .

6 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Now that we are to play in League 1 next season, the decent thing for McCall to do is fall on his sword and take his two buddies with him. He has been an abject failure and if he was half the manager he thinks he is, we would not have been in this position. Do the decent thing Ian and go now.

He has been very disappointing no doubt but he inherited a shambles, we can’t say we played the 36 games in charge and were relegated (we might have been but we weren’t and over the 36games I think we would have overtaken QOS). But either way We have been expelled not relegated.

in light of the very successful acheivements he did by rebuilding Ayr, and also at Airdrie, Falkirk etc he gets another chance.  If we don’t get promoted next season he has to go.

for whatever reason things have been far too comfy at Firhill and he has to get back to the very hungry, motivational manager he was at Airdrie, Falkirk, Ayr United etc pronto.  He has a huge passion for Thistle, though that should not save him but I can’t think of anyone who would leave the team top of the division to join the one bottom, especially given the shambles we were in and some of the poor performers here

on another note even if I wanted him gone which I don’t he got a 3 year deal from the club and we would struggle to afford to bin him, whereas in a years time there’s less compensation and I think if he had failed to get us promoted from league one he would walk.

so I would give him another year - but please don’t let us down this time Ian

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Can we afford to bin him ? , he has definitely got it wrong without a shadow of doubt, took over from Caldwell after 6 games . With his experience should have made us hard to beat first of all , messed around with formations and personnel too much , we never had a settled team .

January window was a disaster , filling it with inexperienced players O’Connor, Barjonas , Mayo and an over the hill McKinnon.

If that had been Caldwell opinion wouldn’t have been divided, he’ll probably get another chance to get it right but IMO the jury is out .

We probably cant afford to pay him off. That's why I said he should fall on his sword.  I dont expect him to.

I think he did as well as can be reasonably expected up to January  with the truly dire squad he inherited.  He kept us in touch going into January which was no mean feat.

In January, with the backing of most people on here, he decided a complete rebuild was required. Naturally this was risky as it’s difficult to recruit in January and it’s hard to bed in so many new players mid-seaon. This (at least initially) backfired and our form fell off a cliff, as the players looked like they’d never played together before. However I personally saw real signs of improvement in the last couple or so games as the team got to know each other and the manager got to know the team. We will now never know whether that rebuild was going to pay off.

Ultimately he’s only had a few weeks with a squad he’s had any input in building. It’s hard to judge him on that.

I would also add that Ayr was rewarded by sticking by him, after he initially took them down.

12 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I think he did as well as can be reasonably expected up to January  with the truly dire squad he inherited.  He kept us in touch going into January which was no mean feat.

In January, with the backing of most people on here, he decided a complete rebuild was required. Naturally this was risky as it’s difficult to recruit in January and it’s hard to bed in so many new players mid-seaon. This (at least initially) backfired and our form fell off a cliff, as the players looked like they’d never played together before. However I personally saw real signs of improvement in the last couple or so games as the team got to know each other and the manager got to know the team. We will now never know whether that rebuild was going to pay off.

Ultimately he’s only had a few weeks with a squad he’s had any input in building. It’s hard to judge him on that.

I would also add that Ayr was rewarded by sticking by him, after he initially took them down.

If he is the manager he thinks he is, he would have performed better with the players he had at his disposal. And some of his signings in January were questionable. 

I wouldn't sack him yet - 3 year contract to honour. If he resigns, then that's different.

But who would we replace him with? Who would want to come to a Div 1 club?

Would IMO have to be an up and coming manager or recently retired player who is ambitious and hungry.

Just now, Garscube Road End said:

If he is the manager he thinks he is, he would have performed better with the players he had at his disposal. And some of his signings in January were questionable. 

I genuinely think Jurgen Klopp would have struggled with the players he inherited. And some signings of every manager will be questionable, never mind in an attempted January emergency rebuild.

IMC inherited a mess and a team/club in decline for 2 years before his arrival. Given the leeway shown to Archie and Caldwell it would be harsh in the extreme to bag him now. Why should he fall on his sword? He's had one transfer window and virtually no time to work with those new players due to covid. He has proved himself at various clubs most recently Ayr - and they are in a position to vote yes thanks in a large part to IMC!

IMO it would be madness to terminate him. It's not going to happen anyway. Give the guy a feckin' break and TIME to do his job!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Genuine question and I’m not meaning to offend and also apologies in advance if I got it wrong but did you not say on another thread that you would not be back.

in which case would matter to much to you who the manager is

56 minutes ago, steve61 said:

I wouldn't sack him yet - 3 year contract to honour. If he resigns, then that's different.

But who would we replace him with? Who would want to come to a Div 1 club?

Would IMO have to be an up and coming manager or recently retired player who is ambitious and hungry.

Stewart Petrie at Montrose.

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Genuine question and I’m not meaning to offend and also apologies in advance if I got it wrong but did you not say on another thread that you would not be back.

in which case would matter to much to you who the manager is

Wow! A cheap shot. No surprise there. I decided to change my mind as the debate has moved on. Sorry! Didn't know you were the Stasi police.

9 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

This

Since he has come back, McCall has been awful. Caldwell my have been crap, but he did manage to avoid relegation and managed to raise the game when it mattered most. This relegation is 100% his fault. Those who blame the board may be right that they could have played the cards better, but just remember who dealt them the hand to play.

Time for him to go and social distancing is just one of the reasons I won't be there to wave bye bye

46 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

IMC inherited a mess and a team/club in decline for 2 years before his arrival. Given the leeway shown to Archie and Caldwell it would be harsh in the extreme to bag him now. Why should he fall on his sword? He's had one transfer window and virtually no time to work with those new players due to covid. He has proved himself at various clubs most recently Ayr - and they are in a position to vote yes thanks in a large part to IMC!

IMO it would be madness to terminate him. It's not going to happen anyway. Give the guy a feckin' break and TIME to do his job!

And in his one window made the mess worse. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Wow! A cheap shot. No surprise there. I decided to change my mind as the debate has moved on. Sorry! Didn't know you were the Stasi police.

Not really was a genuine question. Your kind of hard to keep up with as one minute your leaving never to return the next your wanting a new manager 

2 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

This

Since he has come back, McCall has been awful. Caldwell my have been crap, but he did manage to avoid relegation and managed to raise the game when it mattered most. This relegation is 100% his fault. Those who blame the board may be right that they could have played the cards better, but just remember who dealt them the hand to play.

Time for him to go and social distancing is just one of the reasons I won't be there to wave bye bye

It’s not relegation it’s expulsion- need 36 games for it to be relegation