McCall

Garscube Road End

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Kerr at Ayr apparently gone. Any luck McCall might want to go back?

I went to look on the Ayr thread and they are saying he has not gone now.  Also saw you posting about 7 times there this evening- I know you don’t like him but don’t you think it’s a bit over the top.  Besides not convinced they would pay to sack Kerr and then afford to pay us for McCall.strangely enough for some reason wonder if Archie would apply for the post 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I went to look on the Ayr thread and they are saying he has not gone now.  Also saw you posting about 7 times there this evening- I know you don’t like him but don’t you think it’s a bit over the top.  Besides not convinced they would pay to sack Kerr and then afford to pay us for McCall.strangely enough for some reason wonder if Archie would apply for the post 

I in all honesty don't expect McCall to go back to Ayr even if they could afford him. Regards my critique of McCall. I want him out the door. We paid compensation to get him, gave him a very good contract( McCall's words) and he has failed miserably. I was delighted to get him back, so I am extremely disappointed.  But this move isn't working out.

4 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I in all honesty don't expect McCall to go back to Ayr even if they could afford him. Regards my critique of McCall. I want him out the door. We paid compensation to get him, gave him a very good contract( McCall's words) and he has failed miserably. I was delighted to get him back, so I am extremely disappointed.  But this move isn't working out.

I would prefer Archie out first, if McCall left Archie will be our manager. I’d also be interested to see if our injuries cleared up or not if Archie left

29 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would prefer Archie out first, if McCall left Archie will be our manager. I’d also be interested to see if our injuries cleared up or not if Archie left

I would have thought Archibald would want to get a job as a manager again and try and rebuild his career. Before our last season in the premier and disastrous start to the championship, i would think his reputation would have been quite good.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Now confirmed that Kerr is out at Ayr:

https://ayrunitedfc.co.uk/club-statement-9/

I think McCall had an excellent relationship with the previous Chairman but there is a new guy there now so would be surprised if they were looking at him.

They more than likely couldn't afford him and I don't think McCall would leave Thistle 

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Would Scally be in with a shout?

we certainly need to clear out a top heavy management team.

Why we need 3 managers is beyond me, none of whom appear to be doing a good job. Or are they just getting in each other's way?

If we can get rid of Scally and Archie it would reduce our wage bill massively. Just let McCall get on with earning his 'good wage' Come on Ayr, come for them!

I accept McCall hasn't been the  success we all hoped he would be and he also made mistakes. He hasn't though been dealt a winning hand and by his own admission the job was a lot more difficult than he realised. However I think some of the comments qare a bit unfair.

1. The squad he inherited was totally unbalanced with lots of midfielders and little of anything else!

2. He did well with the inherited squad but was never going to be more than midtable with them so he did the right thing by starting to move them on

3. The players he brought in were better than those moved on and when the Leagues were called we were actually starting to play decent football. Does anyone seriously believe we would have gone down had the season been completed? 

4. This season has been noted for one injury after another and with a couple of suspensions we have had as many as 10 players not available for selection. McCall, to his credit, just got on with things but eventually broke by commenting the injury situation was the worst he had known in 22 years of management. 

OK he did make mistakes. Bringing Archibald back is IMO one of them. Also the turnover of players in January (out and in) was obviously going to be unsettling but how could he possibly have foreseen the calling of the Leagues. 

I am hoping the period of inaction will result in all our players recovering from injury and when they are match fit we will see if results improve. If they don't I will agree McCall has failed and should go with his management team!  

5 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I accept McCall hasn't been the  success we all hoped he would be and he also made mistakes. He hasn't though been dealt a winning hand and by his own admission the job was a lot more difficult than he realised. However I think some of the comments qare a bit unfair.

1. The squad he inherited was totally unbalanced with lots of midfielders and little of anything else!

2. He did well with the inherited squad but was never going to be more than midtable with them so he did the right thing by starting to move them on

3. The players he brought in were better than those moved on and when the Leagues were called we were actually starting to play decent football. Does anyone seriously believe we would have gone down had the season been completed? 

4. This season has been noted for one injury after another and with a couple of suspensions we have had as many as 10 players not available for selection. McCall, to his credit, just got on with things but eventually broke by commenting the injury situation was the worst he had known in 22 years of management. 

OK he did make mistakes. Bringing Archibald back is IMO one of them. Also the turnover of players in January (out and in) was obviously going to be unsettling but how could he possibly have foreseen the calling of the Leagues. 

I am hoping the period of inaction will result in all our players recovering from injury and when they are match fit we will see if results improve. If they don't I will agree McCall has failed and should go with his management team!  

Broadly agree with this.

He was doing reasonably well with Caldwell's team, but rightly started the overhaul in January. I do think that we were beginning to turn the corner in terms of performances as the leagues were halted and I think that results would have improved and that we would have stayed up had the league been played to a conclusion.

He's then had to put together a new team for the start of this season, and has barely had a chance to get it up to full speed between injuries and the games being suspended again.

Hopefully we can get some positive news with regards to the leagues restarting and that we can add a couple of decent players to improve the  squad for the remaining games. McCall is a good manager that is proven to be able to succeed at this level, I think he'll get it right if given the time.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Certainly an interesting take on it.

9 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

we certainly need to clear out a top heavy management team.

Why we need 3 managers is beyond me, none of whom appear to be doing a good job. Or are they just getting in each other's way?

If we can get rid of Scally and Archie it would reduce our wage bill massively. Just let McCall get on with earning his 'good wage' Come on Ayr, come for them!

I think we need to be careful what we wish for.

I won't go into detail about how I think the team are shaping up and how I think we'll be in a play-off etc..... but I do think we're doing ok.

Was recently on the video call you get as a second prize for the 50/50 draw and was very impressed with the management team on that night.

The 3 are all completely different characters and brought a variety of (very detailed) responses to the questions asked. 

It was clear that the gaffer knew his stuff, was extremely professional in his responses and gave the impression that he will do the business for Thistle.

To be fair, Archie seemed a little distracted on the call but came across as a players player / manager. Every manager needs a supporting cast in order to deal differently with certain players and take some of the weight.

I would not for one minute want to see Scally leave. Incredibly detailed in his knowledge of the games modern nuances and definitely the stats man. Gave me great confidence that the team were doing as expected in order to be fit, should the need arise...

A management team of 3 does not seem too excessive in the modern day and I doubt one person would be able to run a team with all that's required.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redandyellowallover said:

Broadly agree with this.

He was doing reasonably well with Caldwell's team, but rightly started the overhaul in January. I do think that we were beginning to turn the corner in terms of performances as the leagues were halted and I think that results would have improved and that we would have stayed up had the league been played to a conclusion.

He's then had to put together a new team for the start of this season, and has barely had a chance to get it up to full speed between injuries and the games being suspended again.

Hopefully we can get some positive news with regards to the leagues restarting and that we can add a couple of decent players to improve the  squad for the remaining games. McCall is a good manager that is proven to be able to succeed at this level, I think he'll get it right if given the time.

Disagree about the need for a January overhaul. In December McCall had to some extent turned a corner with Caldwell’s team. 9 points from 4 games and actually playing some decent stuff. Never won a single match in the 8 games played since the start of the transfer window. McCall's rebuild essentially relegated us. Summer was the time to rebuild. 

It's true performances were starting to pick up when the leagues were stopped. We would probably have finished above QotS but unlikely to get any higher. We were out of the bottom two at the start of January. 

Edited by Muscat Jag

24 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Disagree about the need for a January overall. In December McCall had to some extent turned a corner with Caldwell’s team. 9 points from 4 games and actually playing some decent stuff. Never won a single match in the 8 games played since the start of the transfer window. McCall's rebuild essentially relegated us. Summer was the time to rebuild. 

It's true performances were starting to pick up when the leagues were stopped. We would probably have finished above QotS but unlikely to get any higher. We were out of the bottom two at the start of January. 

Agree. But even before December, he got good results. First league game we beat ICT 3-1 away, beat Morton with 10 men at Firhill and a win at Dens park amongst them . We also had some bad results gubbed at Somerset park and East end park and also beat at Firhill by Arbroath, but we looked as if we were on the up until January.

30 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Disagree about the need for a January overall. In December McCall had to some extent turned a corner with Caldwell’s team. 9 points from 4 games and actually playing some decent stuff. Never won a single match in the 8 games played since the start of the transfer window. McCall's rebuild essentially relegated us. Summer was the time to rebuild. 

That's a fair point, although at the time the players he was shipping out we probably all agreed with and the same with the players coming in. In hindsight it was probably too much too soon. 

I still maintain that if he's given enough time to build a team he'll get it right. I don't think he's had that yet despite being in the job for 18 months

The biggest difference for me was not January, but pretty much when McCall arrived. Up to then we had Millar who looked a genuine goal threat. McCall arrived and he went off the boil, before leaving. Had we kept the Kenny Millar from pre McCall to the end of the season we would have been in much better shape.

1 hour ago, redandyellowallover said:

That's a fair point, although at the time the players he was shipping out we probably all agreed with and the same with the players coming in. In hindsight it was probably too much too soon. 

I still maintain that if he's given enough time to build a team he'll get it right. I don't think he's had that yet despite being in the job for 18 months

Totally disagree, 18 months is plenty of time to get things sorted out , if you take Dunfermline and QOS as examples ,  gave free transfers to almost all of their first team squad and basically started again . Both teams are doing well with new squads in the Championship.

McCall used to have an eye for a player, can’t see that any more Lyons , Murray , Rudden etc haven’t improved our team at all , before that when we got relegated he filled our team with the Old Firm’s development squad.

We can dress it up all we want , McCall is totally culpable and possibly the only reason he is still around is purely financial.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Totally disagree, 18 months is plenty of time to get things sorted out , if you take Dunfermline and QOS as examples ,  gave free transfers to almost all of their first team squad and basically started again . Both teams are doing well with new squads in the Championship.

McCall used to have an eye for a player, can’t see that any more Lyons , Murray , Rudden etc haven’t improved our team at all , before that when we got relegated he filled our team with the Old Firm’s development squad.

We can dress it up all we want , McCall is totally culpable and possibly the only reason he is still around is purely financial.

I don’t recall a single fan objecting when we signed Lyons, Rudden and Murray.  He can’t generally be blamed for Rudden being so injury prone or Lyons and Murray being largely disappointing 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

For nearly half of his time in charge we've not been allowed to train or play. 

I may be wrong here but I'm sure QOTS took until the 29th of December to win their second league game of the season. Their form has improved as the season has went on (a luxury that has not been afforded to Thistle and McCall). 

Its almost as if being able to build a team and play into form and avoiding loads of injuries actually helps. 

I can't actually find it but it would be really interesting to see where QOTS were sitting in the table when our leagues were stopped. I would imagine based on their poor start, they'd have been very close to rock bottom. 

Edited by redandyellowallover

43 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

For nearly half of his time in charge we've not been allowed to train or play. 

I may be wrong here but I'm sure QOTS took until the 29th of December to win their second league game of the season. Their form has improved as the season has went on (a luxury that has not been afforded to Thistle and McCall). 

Its almost as if being able to build a team and play into form and avoiding loads of injuries actually helps. 

I can't actually find it but it would be really interesting to see where QOTS were sitting in the table when our leagues were stopped. I would imagine based on their poor start, they'd have been very close to rock bottom. 

When the Leagues were stopped (and we were subsequently demoted) I am pretty sure QOS were 2 points above us in 9th place having played one game more than us! 

In other words we were in bottom place, 2 points behind our nearest rivals, but with a game in hand!!