What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

I think a league shut down is looking increasingly more likely or the play offs being postponed. Maybe clubs could survive without income from a handful of home games but carrying on till after mid May perhaps too long a time span. I suppose you're many times more likely to catch Corona in a Tesco than on the terrace at Station Pk etc. And I doubt I'm an exception, when I don't have a Saturday game the first place I head for is the pub.  So it's all kinda complicated. plus unfortunately we've got Neil Doncaster to consider.

In all seriousness, a decision is definitely going to be taken shortly that will affect the season being completed on time, with fans, or indeed at all.

I can see a suggestion that the country has a lockdown for a few weeks with a view to finishing the season at the start of the summer.

Italy has proven what can happen if a country doesn't react quickly enough to the spread of Covid-19. I would like to think the UK don't make the same mistake. Denmark have just gone in to  a two week lockdown and they have not even experienced one death.

There is no way Euro 2020 will go ahead. 

10 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Working in the Hospitality industry today and some of the staff are worried about the influx of Leverkusen fans into the City .

Why did UEFA deem this acceptable as the seriousness of the situation over in Germany next week means Sevco have to play behind closed doors  but allow German fans to fly into our country before that .

Absolute madness 

This is madness indeed. Just like the thousands of Atletico Madrid fans at Anfield last night. Largest area affected in Spain? Madrid.

If they abandon the season which is unlikely IMO it will be mired in legal challenges across the board as it could be argued any team could get themselves out of the situation they are in , the only certainty being the likely league winners in 3 of the leagues. 

If they relegated us we would arguably deserve it as we have been shit but we could still get out of the position and denying us the opportunity to do so would be an interesting connundrum for the leagues - same with Hearts in the Premiership 

24 minutes ago, Junior said:

If they abandon the season which is unlikely IMO it will be mired in legal challenges across the board as it could be argued any team could get themselves out of the situation they are in , the only certainty being the likely league winners in 3 of the leagues. 

If they relegated us we would arguably deserve it as we have been shit but we could still get out of the position and denying us the opportunity to do so would be an interesting connundrum for the leagues - same with Hearts in the Premiership 

If they abandon the season it would need to be declared null and void - there is no other way. 

I think the most likely outcome is a postponement for a few weeks, with a view to completing it later than scheduled. However, depending on how quickly the UK Government respond to the threat, that may not even be viable. 

Solution ..... League reconstruction with a minimum 16 teams in each of the top 2 divisions and regional leagues below that Takes away any of the relegation/ promotion arguments.

If there is a shut down, bet it is after QotS win on Friday and before our game on Saturday 

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

I would have thought that clubs could have made matches all ticket and then the SFA could have allowed all clubs to stream pay per view games on their own channels.

It looks likely that most people will be spending a lot of time at home it would probably increase the streaming audience and mitigate any loss in revenue.

The greater risk to the season finishing is if players start catching the virus. At that point there's not a lot to do other than suspend the remainder of the season. The missing income that goes along with that might send one or two clubs out of business.

Could Dundee United, Dundee and Sevco survive without the income from the remaining league games given the losses they have all posted?

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said she will advise that mass gatherings of 500 people or more should be cancelled from the start of next week.

Speaking at First Minister's Questions in Holyrood on Thursday, she said she anticipated a "sharp rise" in coronavirus cases in Scotland.

"Mass gatherings require to be policed, to have mass ambulance cover, and at a time when we need to be reducing the pressures on these frontline workers in order to free them up for the challenge ahead, I do think it is inappropriate that we continue as normal," Ms Sturgeon said.

"The health secretary and I have decided this morning that we are minded that we will advise the cancellation, from the start of next week, of mass gatherings of 500 people or more."

It’s a really sad situation we are all in.

i know I selfishly look to see if the games are on, whether Scotland or here, but at the same time being totally aware of the seriousness of the health implications 

who knows where we go from here but let’s hope there is a silver lining

58 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Why wait until Monday to ban mass gatherings of 500 people or more? 

this has nothing to do with a certain game down Govan way on Sunday has it??

You would hope not especially when potentially people’s lives could be at risk. That’s far more important than a game of football going ahead.

dont wish to sound overly bleak but even if they made an announcement that the season had to end now and we were even relegated I would take that knowing we are all around to hopefully witness promotion next season than anyone suffering from complications off this awful virus simply because the old firm would be hit hard in the pocket

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

Beat me to it Jagsman.  They just managed to squeeze in the next Old Firm match!  

A lot to be clarified however.  Who is Ms Sturgeon's "recommendation" aimed at?  Do organisations have the right to ignore?  Does this mean we could see all matches being all-ticket 500 limit crowds?   Does it mean that if attendance at any event was likely to have been more than 500, it's cancelled?  2 x Scottish Cup Semi-Finals coming up.  The Israel game looks like a 50,000 sell-out.  What about the cup final?   Slightly ironic that clubs in Div 1 and 2 who would routinely have gates of less that 500 would be least affected.   

If the virus is going to have such an impact then, of course, public safety must come first but some tough decisions ahead for all sorts of organisers, not least the SFA/SPFL. 

2 hours ago, laukat said:

I would have thought that clubs could have made matches all ticket and then the SFA could have allowed all clubs to stream pay per view games on their own channels.

It looks likely that most people will be spending a lot of time at home it would probably increase the streaming audience and mitigate any loss in revenue.

The greater risk to the season finishing is if players start catching the virus. At that point there's not a lot to do other than suspend the remainder of the season. The missing income that goes along with that might send one or two clubs out of business.

Could Dundee United, Dundee and Sevco survive without the income from the remaining league games given the losses they have all posted?

Could any club ?

2 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Why wait until Monday to ban mass gatherings of 500 people or more? 

this has nothing to do with a certain game down Govan way on Sunday has it??

i thought the same thing surely that cant be a consideration!!!  Thursdays game revenue and Sundays game revenue  may help  the residents of Govan's sporting facility. Their current cash flow finances look very vulnerable and  if started today it would put them into an extremely vulnerable position. Who represents Govan  in the Scottish Parliament ?

21 minutes ago, banderas said:

i thought the same thing surely that cant be a consideration!!!  Thursdays game revenue and Sundays game revenue  may help  the residents of Govan's sporting facility. Their current cash flow finances look very vulnerable and  if started today it would put them into an extremely vulnerable position. Who represents Govan  in the Scottish Parliament ?

Nicola Sturgeon is MSP for Govan.