What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

Question for the 'we deserve to go down' brigade on this board, how would you feel if were 2nd and only a few points off the top? Would you be happy to be denied the chance of a promotion play off or even the chance to win the league (Falkirk is a perfect example of this)

It's a farce but we've been through farce before in 2004. The leagues should be completed or else voided. Our league campaign consists of 36 of games, not 75% of that with some teams playing less games than others.

• Like 1

There are plenty of clubs I could see voting against this most notably those in the playoffs places. Dundee Utd and Cove Rangers pretty much have their leagues wrapped up but Falkirk are only a point behind Raith Rovers and Airdrie are not too far away either.

ICT,  Dundee, Ayr and Dunfermline all fighting it out in the playoff places, you could even throw Morton and Arbroath in there as being relatively safe from relegation and still with a chance of a playoff spot.

As mentioned above Falkirk and Airdrie are still in the title hunt with Montrose and East fife are not that far behind with no threat of relegation. 

Edinburgh city, Elgin and Cowdenbeath are in the playoff spots in league Two with Queens Park only a point behind 4th. Plus Queens Park are been signing some good players since turning pro so I would think they believe they have a good chance of promotion.

The only teams this benefits are the league leaders and the teams in threat of relegation but not sitting 10th. I suppose it just depends how these other teams treat the situation and may just side with it due to it been extreme circumstances.

Also are they happy to relegate Thistle but what happens to Hearts also has a bearing on this. Can have one rule for one and another for someone else (I realised this is the SPFL and thats generally what they do). I hope thistle fight this to the ends of the earth, we might deserve to go down but frankly that shouldn't matter as we still have a quarter of the season to play.

Thistle have also played Dundee Utd 4 times this year while QoS have only played them three times. I know this is sounding petty but taking an average points per game or whatever they are trying to do is not comparing apples with apples.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

The club must oppose these pernicious proposals by all means available to them. Having played less games than those above us, and being  only two points behind QOS, then relegation would fly in the face of any principle of “sporting integrity”. We all know from our disgraceful relegation in 2004 that the Scottish football authorities will lie and cheat when required , and are not to be trusted. The present board will be judged in the coming weeks and months by their actions in defence of the club.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hankey said:

Sue, sue and sue. I don't even care if we lose. Just make it awkward for them. I will happily give a few bob to crowdfund the legal fees and I know I am not alone from people I have spoken to, and get decent lawyers, not just giving some Lionel Hutz who is a friend of a board member or a sponsor a bit of business. 

Complete easte of time and hard earned money.

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Question for the 'we deserve to go down' brigade on this board, how would you feel if were 2nd and only a few points off the top? Would you be happy to be denied the chance of a promotion play off or even the chance to win the league (Falkirk is a perfect example of this)

It's a farce but we've been through farce before in 2004. The leagues should be completed or else voided. Our league campaign consists of 36 of games, not 75% of that with some teams playing less games than others.

Dony be ridiculous. Of course we arent happy. But anyone who didn't see this coming is wearing blinkers.

8 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Well, that's us relegated then!

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said that the position regarding the top flight "remains particularly complicated".

Don't get why the top division remains particularly complicated. celtic are 13 pts ahead and Hearts are 4 behind.

Any rational analysis will tell you the top division is the least complicated. But in the completely ****** up world of the Scottish Football authorities there are only two teams that matter, this is what makes it complicated for them. 

Getting royally shafted once again. 

• Like 1

This vote should be televised live so we can see who has voted what way - let's have some national transparency - bunch of blazers deciding behind closed doors is simply not acceptable in this instance.

As usual, rigged vote level of 75% in each league seems to take out any relevance of clubs lying second & bottom voting against - let's hope that there are a number of clubs prepared to stick their vested interest necks out and vote against.

If not, I fear we are doomed to visiting some different venues next season.

2 hours ago, Emsca said:

No we have not been good enough so far this season , but as others have said there were signs of improvement. We could well have strung a few results together and got out of trouble 

There were no signs of improvement. We’ve played 10 games since the last time we won. We’ve had one clean sheet in the league all season. There’s absolutely nothing to suggest we would get off bottom. Sad but true. 

9 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

This vote should be televised live so we can see who has voted what way - let's have some national transparency - bunch of blazers deciding behind closed doors is simply not acceptable in this instance.

As usual, rigged vote level of 75% in each league seems to take out any relevance of clubs lying second & bottom voting against - let's hope that there are a number of clubs prepared to stick their vested interest necks out and vote against.

If not, I fear we are doomed to visiting some different venues next season.

IF you take Div 1 as an example, would Falkirk, Airdrie and Stranraer all vote against? If the other 7 voted for it, that's only 70%. Therefore it can't go ahead or am I missing something?

Raith Rovers chairman voting for the proposal.

Let's have long memories & remember those who are willing participants in this Doncaster scam.

I do though agree with big col in that we have been proper sh*t this season (again!) with no genuine glimmer of hope - so it could be argued that we have binned ourselves. 

3 minutes ago, steve61 said:

IF you take Div 1 as an example, would Falkirk, Airdrie and Stranraer all vote against? If the other 7 voted for it, that's only 70%. Therefore it can't go ahead or am I missing something?

you would certainly hope that clubs involved in potential playoffs will vote against - but will they? ... I'm not so sure stevo.

4 minutes ago, Big Col said:

There were no signs of improvement. We’ve played 10 games since the last time we won. We’ve had one clean sheet in the league all season. There’s absolutely nothing to suggest we would get off bottom. Sad but true. 

To be fair it's only "true" in your mind, BC. I thought there was sufficient improvement latterly to suggest we'd get off the bottom. Most significantly there was significantly more grit showing both up at Tannadice and back home against Dunfermline. I don't think we'd have been in 10th place had we had started showing that sort of determination earlier in the season. But then that's only my opinion.

3 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

...they have. 

We have been rank rotten for going on four years. Calamity in the boardroom. An ousted chairman returns. Board members who contribute nothing. Club legends treated like utter dirt. Rumours of financial mismanagement from official sources at the club. And the response from the fans? ...Crickets. A wee mumble and grumble. But unlike other sides, was there protests outside the stadium? No. Protests inside the stadium? No. Coordinated action from the fans? Erm, no. 

So lets not kid ourselves that either the fans or the board will mount some caviller effort to overturn any decision made by the SPFL and its associated clubs. Sorry. Might sound harsh. But that's the simple fact of the matter.  

We made top 6 only 3 years ago, so we haven't been rank for going on 4 years. We have been poor, but we have a game in hand and a win would take us out of bottom place. A number of fans on this forum have rightly so slagged of players for giving up during a game, but they think we should just give up and accept this, really.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

To be fair it's only "true" in your mind, BC. I thought there was sufficient improvement latterly to suggest we'd get off the bottom. Most significantly there was significantly more grit showing both up at Tannadice and back home against Dunfermline. I don't think we'd have been in 10th place had we had started showing that sort of determination earlier in the season. But then that's only my opinion.

Agree with that. It's simple to me. All the leagues should be treated equally. We all play to a finish however long it takes, or the positions are what they are right now. I still suspect that a short term league reconstruction will be the fairest all round.  Horrible feeling though that we will be shafted.