What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

7 minutes ago, allyo said:

As I've said, I think calling the season was ultimately  necessary but done in too much haste. I think relegation should have been ruled out first. And now, I hope that minimal reconstruction will happen, only to remove relegation  (I favour 13-10-10-10). 

That's based on the best case all clubs surviving, but maybe precise structures at this stage are premature.

But in a democratic system I'm not too confident it will happen, because doing nothing suits most clubs.

I agree with you. But I fear reconstrution will not happen, Dundee Utd will replace Thistle in the Championship and once again we will be the poor wee souls that suffer but being the decent chaps we are we will shrug our collective shoulders, grind our teeth and ultimately accept being shafted..

4 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

We have done the same today, but all at 30% capacity and encouraged to use the outdoor seating. Some bars won’t open as they state they can’t break even at 30%

I was interested in the sports facilities and travel easing which us similar to France yesterday ....the 30% capacity is due to go to 50% in Spain in June 

Edited by javeajag

For virus nerds....this chart from the FT shows you in terms of excess deaths which countries have managed the situation well or badly eg good Germany denmark Austria and bad U.K. Spain Belgium

hard to fund any analysis which shows U.K. in a good light 

174E97CA-AE10-4C80-A4C2-8E19D82F3B1C.png

12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I was interested in the sports facilities and travel easing which us similar to France yesterday ....the 30% capacity is due to go to 50% in Spain in June 

No sign of indoor gym or sports halls opening anytime soon. You can now be in groups of 5 non family members 

Im not due back to work for at least 2 more weeks, but we are already planning capacity restrictions to open landscape, canteen and meeting rooms. We currently have 80% working from home (as are most companies that haven’t laid people off).

Grade 5 and above at schools still no news as to when they will return, nor football season.

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

No sign of indoor gym or sports halls opening anytime soon. You can now be in groups of 5 non family members 

Im not due back to work for at least 2 more weeks, but we are already planning capacity restrictions to open landscape, canteen and meeting rooms. We currently have 80% working from home (as are most companies that haven’t laid people off).

Grade 5 and above at schools still no news as to when they will return, nor football season.

At least things are changing a bit !

18 minutes ago, javeajag said:

For virus nerds....this chart from the FT shows you in terms of excess deaths which countries have managed the situation well or badly eg good Germany denmark Austria and bad U.K. Spain Belgium

hard to fund any analysis which shows U.K. in a good light 

174E97CA-AE10-4C80-A4C2-8E19D82F3B1C.png

There was me thinking that the UK were amazing, oh wait that is just Boris spin that the gullible fall for! We now have this crap that he survived because he had to fight for his new kid, FFS bore off!

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

There was me thinking that the UK were amazing, oh wait that is just Boris spin that the gullible fall for! We now have this crap that he survived because he had to fight for his new kid, FFS bore off!

We’re going to end up with the worst stats in Europe, not an enviable record to have on your remit and one the Tories won’t be able to spin out of when this is all over .

We were ill prepared for this and with the economy crashing , ultimately that will be Boris’s legacy.

22 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

We’re going to end up with the worst stats in Europe, not an enviable record to have on your remit and one the Tories won’t be able to spin out of when this is all over .

We were ill prepared for this and with the economy crashing , ultimately that will be Boris’s legacy.

There's a huge litany of mistakes and deliberate bad decisions that Boris (and his predecessors) are rculpable for but they will still try to deflect any responsibility away from themselves and the media will hail them as the saviours of Great British war-time values!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Maybe brexit will save us

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

A very telling graph on the virus handling by the U.K. .....

A3CEF4BA-6E87-45B0-BAC5-AD408D881060.jpeg

How come Italy, Spain and France aren’t included ? 
The inference here is that weak lockdown = high deaths per million. Also, we need to be sure that every country counts the same way.

3 hours ago, jaf said:

There will be more taxes (for us all)

There might be more debt (if we can access it)

There will be less spending

Its inevitable. Less spending means less government. Its not a 'call for it', its a prediction. We will not be able to afford it.

The key will be how long we get to pay the debt back. If the Tories go for the way they dealt with the bank crash, then things will be hard. However, if the long term view is taken like after the 2nd world war where the debt was paid back over decades it might not be so bad.

7 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

How come Italy, Spain and France aren’t included ? 
The inference here is that weak lockdown = high deaths per million. Also, we need to be sure that every country counts the same way.

You see those countries in the FT chart I posted above .....not all countries Count deaths in exactly the same eg France currently excludes care homes and the U.K. only includes deaths that test positive for Covid 

the U.K. and Germany count deaths exactly the same way 

and yes in general countries that locked down early have fewer deaths Than those that didn’t 

11 minutes ago, javeajag said:

You see those countries in the FT chart I posted above .....not all countries Count deaths in exactly the same eg France currently excludes care homes and the U.K. only includes deaths that test positive for Covid 

the U.K. and Germany count deaths exactly the same way 

and yes in general countries that locked down early have fewer deaths Than those that didn’t 

We’ve not been banned from going out. Just encouraged to distance. Yet Norway is very low, but percentage of population is level with UK 

There is definitely a correlation between population density and high figures.

You are also right that the counting varies per country. Norway (Like Germany) only counts deaths from those that actually die specifically from it, UK counts it if you test positive for it but it’s not the contributing factor.

No two countries, test, count or report the same way

Edited by Norgethistle

8 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

We’ve not been banned from going out. Just encouraged to distance. Yet Norway is very low, but percentage of population is level with UK 

There is definitely a correlation between population density and high figures.

You are also right that the counting varies per country. Norway (Like Germany) only counts deaths from those that actually die specifically from it, UK counts it if you test positive for it but it’s not the contributing factor.

No two countries, test, count or report the same way

That’s why the FTs excess deaths is a beneficial way of looking at it on a comparable basis 

density is interesting eg Dublin has I understand the same density as London but has done much better as Ireland has generally 

12 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Like she has any say on any level - the UK Govt is paying every penny of Covid 19 including the £43 MN for the Hospital at the SECC 

Scotland Runs a Fiscal deficit of £12BN each Year - which would have been larger ( even without Covid 19 ) due to the collapse in Oil Prices - there will be Austerity and it will take Years to recover - thats just an Economic Fact - to suggest otherwise is the usual SNP petty Point Scoring - so they can blame the UK Govt 

It doesn't come much more petty than that load of drivel.

Brainwashed britnat drivel. 

I've no desire to get into petty "Point Scoring," which you decided to try to do for no obvious reason other than your union flag-waving  britnattery.

Your "Economic Fact" (why the capital letters?) is drivel of the highest order, bordering on a lie. 

Current level of UK debt?  Look away, move on, nothing to see here.........

I won't be responding anymore. No point in even trying to discuss with somebody who is actually a perfect reason for supporting independence for Scotland.

Edited by Jaggernaut

9 hours ago, Pinhead said:

The way the media are trying to portray him as some kind of hero when he is in fact responsible for the untimely deaths of thousands is truly boak-inducing.

8 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

As javeajag has said, with Covid deaths being counted in different ways around the world, excess deaths is the best indicator of the situation.

These graphs are from 28 April. Grim reading if you're in England.

1533828926_Screenshot2020-04-28at17_51_46.thumb.png.26bcaea5fe28f2ade48885485234b593.png

772506430_Screenshot2020-04-28at17_52_07.thumb.png.ba35f5ae4271b0f6c5835a47b522f621.png

These charts from Ed Conway are very good .....the later you lock down the worse it gets 

Edited by javeajag

10 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The key will be how long we get to pay the debt back. If the Tories go for the way they dealt with the bank crash, then things will be hard. However, if the long term view is taken like after the 2nd world war where the debt was paid back over decades it might not be so bad.

The problem is the whole globe is suffering. Argentina  already can’t refinance their debt. We are too much debt as a nation. It’s a bad starting point.