What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

Again, sorry to hear that. Death certificates in the UK allow more than one cause of death to be listed. Obviously difficult to comment on individual circumstances without knowing details, but it could be the case that Covid was the tipping point beyond the underlying issues they had, therefore would need to be on the certificate. 

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

As I’ve stated previously I know personally of 3 families who are appealing the cause of death for their relatives being classed as COVID, when this was definitely not the main contributor to the deaths. 

Yes, that's another factor clouding the true number of deaths due to Covid-19. Dying "with" it (i.e., testing positive) isn't the same thing as dying from it.

An elderly uncle of mine in a care facility tested positive twice, but he recovered and is now fine (in terms of Covid at least).

13 hours ago, Big Col said:

October for competitive football I reckon. The virus is on the way out and a second wave is unlikely. Don’t know what our crowd sizes will be like as it appears a sizeable percentage of the population have been terrorised and brainwashed into thinking that if they step outside their home they will definitely catch the virus and definitely die.

A few players in England tested positive, does that mean their team mates will have to isolate meaning they can't play matches.?

4 minutes ago, alexander livingstone said:

A few players in England tested positive, does that mean their team mates will have to isolate meaning they can't play matches.?

No just them for seven days .....but the others are tested twice a week anyway 

"We have detonated the global economy to pursue a lockdown experiment that may not have worked, according to the latest evidence. This diabolical revelation should be a world scandal. It should also be a sobering moment of enlightenment for Britain, as we seek to salvage our economy while learning lessons on how to better protect the vulnerable. Instead the Covid narrative becomes ever more surreal.

The broadcast media is more interested in scalping lockdown flouters than questioning whether shutdowns have served any useful purpose. World-class studies that suggest lockdown did not alter the pandemic’s course are mysteriously vanishing into internet obscurity on first contact with the official narrative. Our greatest minds have resorted to unpicking the issue on offbeat YouTube webinars. No global NGO or lockdown country has launched an investigation into their impact...."

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

the U.K. has the highest global death toll.....

https://www.ft.com/content/6b4c784e-c259-4ca4-9a82-648ffde71bf0

When all the data is analysed I think there will be direct causality between our catastrophic death rate and:- the delay in stopping flights into major hub airports [London and Manchester], allowing mass gatherings like the Cheltenham festival, Rangers V some team from Germany [a country that was already suffering badly in the virus spread], Liverpool V some team from Spain [another country that was already suffering badly in the virus spread] ….. and then the punting of old folk from hospitals into care homes without checking to see if they were infected with C-19, all to ensure there would be no capacity issues within the NHS. All of them avoidable if we had had the right sort of politicians in Westminster.

As they say, hindsight is easy, but all of these issues regarding mass gatherings / virus spread R numbers etc were known by the UK scientific community. The UK governments inaction / misguided policy of herd immunity and 'keep the fingers crossed' that the mortality rate was going to be low, were our undoing. We have a government that are good at creating 'buzz word' slogans, but are not so good at governance ...….. and we have these people for another 5 years!!  

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
punctuation
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

When all the data is analysed I think there will be direct causality between our catastrophic death rate and:- the delay in stopping flights into major hub airports [London and Manchester], allowing mass gatherings like the Cheltenham festival, Rangers V some team from Germany [a country that was already suffering badly in the virus spread], Liverpool V some team from Spain [another country that was already suffering badly in the virus spread] ….. and then the punting of old folk from hospitals into care homes without checking to see if they were infected with C-19, all to ensure there would be no capacity issues within the NHS. All of them avoidable if we had had the right sort of politicians in Westminster.

As they say, hindsight is easy, but all of these issues regarding mass gatherings / virus spread R numbers etc were known by the UK scientific community. The UK governments inaction / misguided policy of herd immunity and 'keep the fingers crossed' that the mortality rate was going to be low, were our undoing. We have a government that are good at creating 'buzz word' slogans, but are not so good at governance ...….. and we have these people for another 5 years!!  

Wasn't just the UK government, Holyrood was happy to delay restrictions on gatherings till after the Old Firm game, until UK government banned them

52 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Doesn’t look as if the hearts plan is going anywhere .....might not even make it to a vote 

Alas, yes  it does look doomed to fail and so we will be demoted/ relegated.   Extremely harsh on Hearts, Partick Thistle and, Stranraer.  But it's great news for Brechin. They will not be relegated!

35 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Wasn't just the UK government, Holyrood was happy to delay restrictions on gatherings till after the Old Firm game, until UK government banned them

I don't think thats correct. Scottish Government stopped gatherings of over 500 people on 12th March.

The old firm game was due to be played on the 15th March. The SFA and SPFL stopped all fixtures from the 13th March following the Scottish Government advice

The FA in england posponed all leagues on the 13th.

The UK Government didn't say anything about mass gatherings until the 16th March.

Had we adhered to the UK government advice the old firm game would have been played as would our game against Alloa which might have got us off the bottom of the league. So if you want to make a positive case for the UK government it would be that they might have saved us from expulsion from the championship!

48 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Yip , Lots of mistakes , letting the Rangers game go ahead , Nike conference coverup , no transparency on wards at Gartnavel getting closed down , care homes .

Now we’ve got a track and trace which will never work after nearly 3 months of lockdown, no consultation with UK government who will pay the Wages if you’ve got to be off your work.

Surely you would check that first before you start rolling out a scheme like that.

6 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't think thats correct. Scottish Government stopped gatherings of over 500 people on 12th March.

The old firm game was due to be played on the 15th March. The SFA and SPFL stopped all fixtures from the 13th March following the Scottish Government advice

The FA in england posponed all leagues on the 13th.

The UK Government didn't say anything about mass gatherings until the 16th March.

Had we adhered to the UK government advice the old firm game would have been played as would our game against Alloa which might have got us off the bottom of the league. So if you want to make a positive case for the UK government it would be that they might have saved us from expulsion from the championship!

The Rangers game was on the 12th March , it never should have happened, with German fans coming into our City .

20 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The Rangers game was on the 12th March , it never should have happened, with German fans coming into our City .

I think you are reffering to the Uefa cup game and Norge was referring to the old firm game. Agree the Uefa cup game should not have gone ahead. I remember at the time thinking the Scotland v France rugby game a week earlier shouldn't have gone ahead.

Personally we should have went into lockdown in line with the Irish timelines and should have closed the borders in line with what the Irish did. Why the Uk Government still have never closed the borders or instituted passenger checks still amazes me.  The Scottish Government whilst unable to close the borders could have temperature checked passengers going in and out of aiport terminals.

From the information I've seen the biggest threat to Scotland coming out of lockdown is the open border to England who look like they have came of lockdown too early.

My recollection is that the original restriction of 500 was set to come into effect on the Monday after the Old Filth game which was due on the Sunday. This was changed and led to the Ayr against QOS game on the Friday being cancelled. Had that gone ahead and had Ayr won we wouldn’t have been removed from the Championship on average points, I think.

Edited by Lithgae Jag
Grammar!

7 minutes ago, laukat said:

I think you are reffering to the Uefa cup game and Norge was referring to the old firm game. Agree the Uefa cup game should not have gone ahead. I remember at the time thinking the Scotland v France rugby game a week earlier shouldn't have gone ahead.

Personally we should have went into lockdown in line with the Irish timelines and should have closed the borders in line with what the Irish did. Why the Uk Government still have never closed the borders or instituted passenger checks still amazes me.  The Scottish Government whilst unable to close the borders could have temperature checked passengers going in and out of aiport terminals.

From the information I've seen the biggest threat to Scotland coming out of lockdown is the open border to England who look like they have came of lockdown too early.

Agree , totally ridiculous no checks at UK airports , seems a nonsense now to start it with a death rate of 40,000 and trying to kick start the economy. 

The things they’re implementing now should have been done at the start , track and trace , testing at airports , seems a bit pointless now .

Some good news from prof Sikora 

Austria was one of the first countries to ease their lockdown, all the way back on April 14.

Latest reported daily cases - 34, 18, 36, 17, 50. (Population around 9 million)

We need to be prepared for a second wave, but it should not be taken as a certainty - far from it.

Many people have been asking when "the Government" (Westminster or Holyrood, for this it doesn't matter) will announce that it is "safe" to start attending football matches and other sports events. But it seems to me that no Government with at least an ounce of common sense will make any such announcement. They may allow people to make their own decisions about whether to attend events or not.... "at their own risk."

Imagine the reaction if the Government proclaimed that going to football was "now safe," and somebody became tested positive, maybe even died, after attending a match..... 

18 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Many people have been asking when "the Government" (Westminster or Holyrood, for this it doesn't matter) will announce that it is "safe" to start attending football matches and other sports events. But it seems to me that no Government with at least an ounce of common sense will make any such announcement. They may allow people to make their own decisions about whether to attend events or not.... "at their own risk."

Imagine the reaction if the Government proclaimed that going to football was "now safe," and somebody became tested positive, maybe even died, after attending a match..... 

Just as well we've got football authorities we can trust to make these decisions! :eyebrow:

31 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Football won’t be singled out ....it’s any mass gatherings.....so the advice will be issued when it’s safe but interestingly this from the Danish health people 

Fascinating to see the Danish Health Authority rank the effectiveness of virus control measures.

1. Isolating people with symptoms
2. Hygiene
3. Social distancing

I agree. Especially on improved hygiene - our hand washing campaign had more of an impact than we realised.