What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

5 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Which was always the case with putting COVID on the death certificate when it may only be present but not the actual cause. I mentioned further back in the thread I knew of 3 families this happened to when COVID  most definitely wasn’t the main cause, they also have issues getting full life insurance settlement 

When you posted this previously, I wondered what the point of contesting the cause of death was . If life insurance companies are using it as a means to pay out, I fully understand. 
It is disgraceful conduct by the insurance companies.

I had heard a while back that there may be moves afoot to waive the points penalty for clubs entering administration. On one level I can see the justification in that, as even the best run club can run into cash flow problems just now. Then on the other hand when first in line is a serial basket case.....  

... especially as the case in point have serially overspent since last entering administration - clubs that have striven to live within their means should be prioritised for financial assistance - if a club is looking for cash handouts, they should have their previous 5 years accounts scrutinised and a decision reached as to whether it is to positively assist growth of the club or is just needed to pay interest on debt 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 9:35 AM, p12tfc said:

Ah but that would mean Cove would still be in the bottom tier of Scottish football despite being promoted!

Never understood why no one ever mentions it as still only two away from the top...

Two away from top tier! 

Would need to scroll back to check but I am sure I mentioned this point when the reconstruction talk was around 3 leagues of 14 clubs. I was surprised to hear that 4 clubs including Clyde, and Peterhead would cote against this as they considered joining with the League 2 clubs equivalent to relegation. I argued it couldn't be a relegation as they ere still two levels away from the SPL! 

12 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I see Dundee have let Jimmy Nicholl (assistant manager) and the first team sports scientist leave whilst Nelms is bemoaning the lack of season tickets being sold.

Haven’t got any sympathy at all for John Nelms and Dundee, leaked out they got covered for the Insurance for the pandemic before they actually got paid out ( schoolboy error) . 
The power trip he got off on with the missing vote and his incredible naivety in listening to Doncaster and Co and doing a U turn which has changed Scottish Football after publicly backing fairness for all Clubs on Dundee’s official site .

What goes around, comes around .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Haven’t got any sympathy at all for John Nelms and Dundee, leaked out they got covered for the Insurance for the pandemic before they actually got paid out ( schoolboy error) . 
The power trip he got off on with the missing vote and his incredible naivety in listening to Doncaster and Co and doing a U turn which has changed Scottish Football after publicly backing fairness for all Clubs on Dundee’s official site .

What goes around, comes around .

Agree 100%, as the saying goes 'what is for you, does not go by you', Nelms and Dundee FC deserve all they get from this situation, even when the controversy of the missing vote was at it's height and his own people were telling him to back off, he continued with his self gratification.

They do say a little bit of power [and a little bit of knowledge] is a dangerous thing ..... this character Nelms is a good illustration of this.

I know this wont be popular, but I don't really want any club to go burst during this pandemic, and wont be celebrating if any do.

Their supporters will be deprived of something important to all of us. We need to practice what we preach - 'Do No harm' wasn't it?

And we will all have part of the fabric of our game and society removed, and more importantly a part of Scottish football history, and our own collective and individual football histories too. Dundee? Andy Gibson goal - what a moment I recall nearly every time we go back to Dens for example.

They may have voted against us in many cases, but there is no point PTFC surviving at the exclusion of everyone else, or we have no-one to play!

We have stared down the barrel of losing our football club before, and I would not wish that on any other fan of any other club personally.  Although I do understand why many feel differently.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jaf said:

I know this wont be popular, but I don't really want any club to go burst during this pandemic, and wont be celebrating if any do.

Their supporters will be deprived of something important to all of us. We need to practice what we preach - 'Do No harm' wasn't it?

And we will all have part of the fabric of our game and society removed, and more importantly a part of Scottish football history, and our own collective and individual football histories too. Dundee? Andy Gibson goal - what a moment I recall nearly every time we go back to Dens for example.

They may have voted against us in many cases, but there is no point PTFC surviving at the exclusion of everyone else, or we have no-one to play!

We have stared down the barrel of losing our football club before, and I would not wish that on any other fan of any other club personally.  Although I do understand why many feel differently.

For a club who have had 2 administrations and are still financially irresponsible, have had gangsters running them and lied over that vote, while there are a host of clubs who cut their cloth, I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. Let them crash and burn. 

On 6/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, Lenziejag said:

53 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

For a club who have had 2 administrations and are still financially irresponsible, have had gangsters running them and lied over that vote, while there are a host of clubs who cut their cloth, I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. Let them crash and burn. 

I'm actually with jaf on this but if any club were to go bust then I hope it's one of the serial offenders.

I'm maybe over simplifying things but Dundee FC was well on its way to becoming a fan owned club when Nelms appeared on the seen with promises their fans maybe should've turned down. I'm not going to get involved with the pros and cons of fan ownership except to say if a fan owned club gets caught overspending then there's really only one group of people to blame, the fans. Often bracket Dundee and Livingston as examples of basket case clubs but there's one major difference. The latter probably have to duck and dive to just exist, especially at the level they're playing at, or maybe more correctly to reach that level. Dundee on the other hand have a sizeable fanbase, comfortably in the top ten in Scotland, and shouldn't continually find themselves in these situations. 

I don't want to see any club (with two obvious exceptions) go bust but if I hear on the news that a Scottish club has folded I'll be hoping it's a serial offender and not some reasonably well run club that's demise is entirely down to this lockdown.  It wouldn't take much more than a localised outbreak of covid to send the most financially prudent of clubs to the wall. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

On 6/27/2020 at 10:08 AM, Garscube Road End said:

Technically, make that 3 GRE. Dundee were in liquidation December 1898. They failed to turn up for a match but were quickly reformed as a new company. The SPL stepped in to guarantee their opponents' share of the "gate" for a spell.

• Like 1

Not that certain that being a chairman of a football club will give him/her much insight into when the season kicks off.  What they will know is how many games their clubs can afford to play behind closed doors and/or restricted attendance. Covid will still be on the horizon and even when all restrictions are lifted what nobody knows is the percentage of fans who may opt to stay away. 

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not that certain that being a chairman of a football club will give him/her much insight into when the season kicks off.  What they will know is how many games their clubs can afford to play behind closed doors and/or restricted attendance. Covid will still be on the horizon and even when all restrictions are lifted what nobody knows is the percentage of fans who may opt to stay away. 

Both Forfar and Stirling Albion looking to start October with Betfred Cup, league 2 weeks later.

7 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

A bit of a concern if the Falkirk Chairman's assessment is correct and some clubs are taking a risk by starting in October. The other thing that you can just about guarantee now is that we are in for a harsh winter to compound the situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53206770

Quote from Gary Dean's Falkirk Chairman

"One of the lowest points of my football experience was sitting a week past Sunday watching some of the clubs comment about how they were going to vote," Deans said.

"Some of the commentary that was coming through, why they were justifying no votes, was sickening."

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting of, I assume, lower league chairmen. Would speculate that Hearts and Jags were the subjects of much abuse! 

22 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Quote from Gary Dean's Falkirk Chairman

"One of the lowest points of my football experience was sitting a week past Sunday watching some of the clubs comment about how they were going to vote," Deans said.

"Some of the commentary that was coming through, why they were justifying no votes, was sickening."

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting of, I assume, lower league chairmen. Would speculate that Hearts and Jags were the subjects of much abuse! 

The interview was on Sportsound on Saturday. He said that from previous discussions  the 14- 10-10-10 had been a popular option but the reason many of the Clubs now gave for voting against Reconstruction was "Cash is King" - presumably they think Thistle & Falkirk in League 1 will be bring larger travelling supports. He said that one club who had put forward 14-10-10-10 in the initial Reconstruction Talks had  actually now voted against it.

He mentioned an angry conversation with another Chairman who was apparently raging at the Court Action. He pointed out that this was the only card Hearts & Thistle had been left to play and that the way to avoid that would have been to agree to reconstruction. He also had declined to put himself forward for the SPFL Board because the structure made it impossible to achieve meaningful change. 

It's astonishing that some Thistle fans are worried that Court  Action will turn other Clubs against us. They have already thrown us under the bus so what else can they do...maybe find another bogus reason to relegate us?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

The interview was on Sportsound on Saturday. He said that from previous discussions  the 14- 10-10-10 had been a popular option but the reason many of the Clubs now gave for voting against Reconstruction was "Cash is King" - presumably they think Thistle & Falkirk in League 1 will be bring larger travelling supports. He said that one club who had put forward 14-10-10-10 in the initial Reconstruction Talks had  actually now voted against it.

He mentioned an angry conversation with another Chairman who was apparently raging at the Court Action. He pointed out that this was the only card Hearts & Thistle had been left to play and that the way to avoid that would have been to agree to reconstruction. He also had declined to put himself forward for the SPFL Board because the structure made it impossible to achieve meaningful change. 

It's astonishing that some Thistle fans are worried that Court  Action will turn other Clubs against us. They have already thrown us under the bus so what else can they do...maybe find another bogus reason to relegate us?

Thank you for this information. I appreciate it. 

I completely agree with you about  clubs turning against us. They are already against us. Thistle fans need to recognise that we have few friends in the game and the days when the Jags were everybody's second team are long gone. 

We have to accept we are generally on our own and in future we need to make decisions in terms of what's best for PTFC. In effect if a change is proposed and there is no direct benefit in the change for us we vote for the status quo! Thereby relegating the greater good to second place. 

If we want respect and influence the only way to do this is to put a winning team on the park, get back to the SPL and stay there! 

I hope more Jags fans will come around to my view which is:

1. to attend as many home games as possible (I live in the North East of Scotland so getting to Firhill is a hike),

2. not attend League 1 away games, for example, Forfar and Clyde who have made  statements about revenue from our travelling support) 

3. Donate gate money saved by not attending away games to PTFC. 

4. Review when we return to the Championship (for example, Raith Rovers, Dundee, if still around, and Ayr Utd definitely off my travel plans) 

If enough fans do this the £75k - £100k that Forfar estimate they will receive from 2 home games each v Falkirk and Jags will be well and truly shafted! At the same time PTFC revenues will be that bit healthier! 

• Like 6