What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The fact that private sector care homes did not supply ppe does mean there was a shortage of ppe in Scotland.

the private ownership of care homes will be one of the casualties hopefully of the pandemic 

I can assure you there was a shortage of adequate PPE in Scotland. That provided did not equate to standards outlined by WHO and along with that batches of PPE supplied to Primary care later had to be recalled due to deficiencies, which meant that lots of health care workers had to source their own equipment. 

Just now, ironfist said:

I can assure you there was a shortage of adequate PPE in Scotland. That provided did not equate to standards outlined by WHO and along with that batches of PPE supplied to Primary care later had to be recalled due to deficiencies, which meant that lots of health care workers had to source their own equipment. 

Are you referring to the nhs or care homes here ?

On 7/5/2020 at 7:50 PM, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Yep and a lot of others unfortunately including Sweden who tried not to action a shutdown but their death rate is very high and they ack their care home policy was wrong.  Maybe their policy will be better long term but we won't know for years.

For me its way to early for any real understanding or conclusion to this.  Westminster and Holyrood have made mostly the same decisons with Edinburgh 7 to 10 days after London.  This thing will be with us for the next year or two minimum with more deaths and outbreaks like Leicester.  Policies will change.  We will learn more.  Practices such as social distancing, face masks etc will hopefully become the norm to control.

I am scunnered by it even though I have avoided any real pain and able to work from home.  At the same time things are looking slightly more positive.  In Europe kids going back to school stats = low  to zero risk.  That will help them and parents as we hopefully get 5 days education.  Testing is increasing, track and trace and hopefully an app helps us all.

I think the message of getting back to normal is misplaced right now as there is no vaccine or cure.  Certain parts of the world are seeing new spikes, like Victoria in Australia, probably because of restrictions easing. It’s normal for people to think the virus has gone. 

Yeah I agree it's not "back to normal" it's the (hopefully short term) "new normal".  Face masks, hand washing and lack of crowds make a big difference.  That needs to continually be pushed but is it a cultural thing?  NHS Glasgow are complaining internally staff are not wearing masks and being to close to each other.  A&E in West London shut with a mini outbreak.among staff accused of same thing.  

You also need to.balance health with the economy.  It's f&&&ed at the moment.  People need to spend to keep jobs.   A fine balancing act.

In the Vanarama National League, when games were stopped Ebbsfleet Utd were in 21 st position out of 24  Played 39 with 42 points. Maidenhed Utd were in 22nd place, played 38  with 41 points.  Bottom 3 go down.

On points per game, Ebbsfleet were removed from the league by 0.002 of a point.  They do not intend to contest. 

What a cruel world.

25 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

In the Vanarama National League, when games were stopped Ebbsfleet Utd were in 21 st position out of 24  Played 39 with 42 points. Maidenhed Utd were in 22nd place, played 38  with 41 points.  Bottom 3 go down.

On points per game, Ebbsfleet were removed from the league by 0.002 of a point.  They do not intend to contest. 

What a cruel world.

Proof that there is always the option to accept your fate.

I think it would be true to say that both Westminster and Edinburgh have made mistakes and, hopefully, learned a lot. 

However IMO the Scottish Gov and our much maligned FM Nicola Sturgeon have consistently out performed Westminster and Boris Johnson. 

Polls, repeated show Sturgeon's approval rating in the 70-84% range; Johnson yet to get above 44%. Specifically NS:s rated for having a strategy and sticking with it, clear communication, leadership and putting people first! Johnson basically the opposite of the above and putting business/economy before people! 

Sturgeon has in fact been complimented on her handling of the pandemic by our Tory Scottish Secretary for "making the right decisions fot Scotland" also a Tory MP (can't recall name) who implied in comparison to Sturgeon, Johnson gave the impression he was "winging it"! 

I also recall reading a BBC news article in  February in which Westminster had made it clear it would be responsible for procurement and subsequent distribution to Devolved Govts, of PPE & Testing equipment. Based on a TV interview with Heath Minister in early March it would not be unreasonable to speculate  orders  for equipment weren't placed until later in March.  Anyway as already stated this system was totally ineffective until Edjnbugh established an alternative supply route! 

Nicola Stjrgeon's biggest error was trying to relieve the pressure on the NHS by agreeing to transfer 900 people to Care Homes without first testing. She has since acknowledged this. Probably the right motive but implementation  not thought through! 

On the other hand Westminster IMO completely underestimated the likely impact of the virus in spite of warnings from Spain and Italy and delayed lock down far too long. 

Far from showing the strength of the Union the pandemic, for me, has shown that Scotland would be better out of the Union and the sooner the better - count me as a confirmed member of the now  54% majority who say yes! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I think it would be true to say that both Westminster and Edinburgh have made mistakes and, hopefully, learned a lot. 

However IMO the Scottish Gov and our much maligned FM Nicola Sturgeon have consistently out performed Westminster and Boris Johnson. 

Polls, repeated show Sturgeon's approval rating in the 70-84% range; Johnson yet to get above 44%. Specifically NS:s rated for having a strategy and sticking with it, clear communication, leadership and putting people first! Johnson basically the opposite of the above and putting business/economy before people! 

Sturgeon has in fact been complimented on her handling of the pandemic by our Tory Scottish Secretary for "making the right decisions fot Scotland" also a Tory MP (can't recall name) who implied in comparison to Sturgeon, Johnson gave the impression he was "winging it"! 

I also recall reading a BBC news article in  February in which Westminster had made it clear it would be responsible for procurement and subsequent distribution to Devolved Govts, of PPE & Testing equipment. Based on a TV interview with Heath Minister in early March it would not be unreasonable to speculate  orders  for equipment weren't placed until later in March.  Anyway as already stated this system was totally ineffective until Edjnbugh established an alternative supply route! 

Nicola Stjrgeon's biggest error was trying to relieve the pressure on the NHS by agreeing to transfer 900 people to Care Homes without first testing. She has since acknowledged this. Probably the right motive but implementation  not thought through! 

On the other hand Westminster IMO completely underestimated the likely impact of the virus in spite of warnings from Spain and Italy and delayed lock down far too long. 

Far from showing the strength of the Union the pandemic, for me, has shown that Scotland would be better out of the Union and the sooner the better - count me as a confirmed member of the now  54% majority who say yes! 

The current infection rate in Scotland is 10% of that of England ....yes 10%.....as soon as went our own way things improved