What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

3 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

As an aside,  last nights English Championship proves what can happen when you have patience and don’t cancel the season early.

Going into the restart after lockdown none of  the clubs in the bottom 5 were relegated last night, just shows you what might have been up here.

There was absolutely zero prospect of completing the SPFL season by August. The English Championship is a completely different competition, in a different country, with different lockdown rules, and has a different financial model and set of TV relationships.

It's 23 July and Scottish Championship clubs aren't even allowed to play closed-door games yet according to the Scottish Government's own lockdown policies. That's Government policy; not SPFL policy.

There was no prospect of playing nine rounds of fixtures between now and the start of the 2020-21 Scottish Premiership season.

On the topic of shutting down the season early, can one of the stattos tell us what would have happened if a pandemic or similar intervention had caused the 2012-2013 campaign to be brought to a premature conclusion? There was quite a lengthy period early in 2013 when Morton were 8 points ahead , but we had 3 games in hand. On a points per game basis, no doubt Morton would have had the upper hand and been declared league winners, taking the only available promotion place. At what point would Thistle have taken poll position and been able to face a league shutdown with equanimity?

10 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

There was absolutely zero prospect of completing the SPFL season by August. The English Championship is a completely different competition, in a different country, with different lockdown rules, and has a different financial model and set of TV relationships.

It's 23 July and Scottish Championship clubs aren't even allowed to play closed-door games yet according to the Scottish Government's own lockdown policies. That's Government policy; not SPFL policy.

There was no prospect of playing nine rounds of fixtures between now and the start of the 2020-21 Scottish Premiership season.

Good that you ( and the spfl) knew all all of that in advance and were therefore correct to close it all down early then.

I personally didn't realise the Scottish govt were making things like that clear back then.  Well spotted, any chance of a link to the statement with those facts?

1 hour ago, sb1876 said:

Good that you ( and the spfl) knew all all of that in advance and were therefore correct to close it all down early then.

I personally didn't realise the Scottish govt were making things like that clear back then.  Well spotted, any chance of a link to the statement with those facts?

I'm not saying that they knew that in advance.

I have already stated before that I thought the decision to end the season didn't have to be taken as urgently as it was (though there is a perfectly respectable argument that there was a need to get out in front of it quickly to preserve arrangements for next season's revenue streams and that clubs needed the prize-money and ability to plan urgently).

It was clear from (I would say) mid-May that behind-closed-doors professional sport wasn't going to be properly back up and running for at least another two months. Our lockdown unlock was already going at a slower pace than England, the testing capacity and funds simply weren't in place to deal with anything other than the Premiership, and closed doors games were demonstrably not viable for most of the second, third and fourth tiers for the quarter of the season that would have to be played out.

League One in England was called on a points per game basis. It and League Two are far more comparable in terms of basic commercial reality to the Scottish game than the English Championship. The thing they have in common is that the additional measures we'd need to complete the season behind closed doors fundamentally outweigh the economic and sporting benefits of trying to complete the season without any certainty that that was even possible.

I and a lot of others in April were saying that it was crystal clear football outside of Scotland's top flight was never going to be played to its normal conclusion. The dispute was solely about how that season was to be brought to an end and what special measures should apply to that situation.

There is absolutely no use crying over spilt milk about how different things might have been if we'd played our last quarter of the season. It was very clear from an early stage that the reasonable and considered view of the SPFL was that it wasn't going to be viable, and the developing public health restrictions and advice has, on that point at least, thoroughly vindicated them, even if you (perfectly reasonably) think those extraordinary circumstances meant promotion and relegation should have been dealt with differently than it was.

12 minutes ago, elevenone said:

from bbc 

Scottish football’s Joint Response Group has written to Rangers, Motherwell and Hibs asking for explanations re Covid-19 testing protocols. Suggestion some Rangers players faced Dundee Utd without test results.

wonder what will happen if games don’t get played on august 1 ? ......

9 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I'm not saying that they knew that in advance.

I have already stated before that I thought the decision to end the season didn't have to be taken as urgently as it was (though there is a perfectly respectable argument that there was a need to get out in front of it quickly to preserve arrangements for next season's revenue streams and that clubs needed the prize-money and ability to plan urgently).

It was clear from (I would say) mid-May that behind-closed-doors professional sport wasn't going to be properly back up and running for at least another two months. Our lockdown unlock was already going at a slower pace than England, the testing capacity and funds simply weren't in place to deal with anything other than the Premiership, and closed doors games were demonstrably not viable for most of the second, third and fourth tiers for the quarter of the season that would have to be played out.

League One in England was called on a points per game basis. It and League Two are far more comparable in terms of basic commercial reality to the Scottish game than the English Championship. The thing they have in common is that the additional measures we'd need to complete the season behind closed doors fundamentally outweigh the economic and sporting benefits of trying to complete the season without any certainty that that was even possible.

I and a lot of others in April were saying that it was crystal clear football outside of Scotland's top flight was never going to be played to its normal conclusion. The dispute was solely about how that season was to be brought to an end and what special measures should apply to that situation.

There is absolutely no use crying over spilt milk about how different things might have been if we'd played our last quarter of the season. It was very clear from an early stage that the reasonable and considered view of the SPFL was that it wasn't going to be viable, and the developing public health restrictions and advice has, on that point at least, thoroughly vindicated them, even if you (perfectly reasonably) think those extraordinary circumstances meant promotion and relegation should have been dealt with differently than it was.

The way I see it, no club should be disadvantaged by calling the season. If it had to be done, it's my opinion that the whole thing should have been null & void. Sure, would be harsh on some clubs, but none would be worse off (in a sporting sense) that at the start of the season. 

The way it was dealt with was a shambles, even by Scottish football standards. Listening to Sportsound on a Saturday was frankly bizarre. All these chairmen on talking about fax machines, email spam etc - bonkers. If I ran my business like Scottish football, I wouldn't be trading for very long at all.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

from bbc 

Scottish football’s Joint Response Group has written to Rangers, Motherwell and Hibs asking for explanations re Covid-19 testing protocols. Suggestion some Rangers players faced Dundee Utd without test results.

wonder what will happen if games don’t get played on august 1 ? ......

If they call the season now St Mirren will be relegated and Celtic will narrowly lose out to Aberdeen on their 10-in-a-row

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

The way I see it, no club should be disadvantaged by calling the season. If it had to be done, it's my opinion that the whole thing should have been null & void. Sure, would be harsh on some clubs, but none would be worse off (in a sporting sense) that at the start of the season. 

I'm not convinced that there is no sporting disadvantage to other clubs if you null and void the season.

1 hour ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

The way it was dealt with was a shambles, even by Scottish football standards. Listening to Sportsound on a Saturday was frankly bizarre. All these chairmen on talking about fax machines, email spam etc - bonkers. If I ran my business like Scottish football, I wouldn't be trading for very long at all.

Unfortunately though, whether or not Scottish football is a shambles isn't the subject of arbitration, and the finding that it is so is of no aid to Thistle, who are but one small part of that cumulative shambles.

50 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I wonder what Charlton fans think of Lyle Taylor refusing to play for them now! I think there were others as well

He was out of contract so I guess he was within his rights. He has come down in my estimation though. Think there were 2, possibly 3, Charlton players refused to extend to cover the end of season. Little doubt they effectively relegated their club. Distinct lack of class. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

He was out of contract so I guess he was within his rights. He has come down in my estimation though. Think there were 2, possibly 3, Charlton players refused to extend to cover the end of season. Little doubt they effectively relegated their club. Distinct lack of class. 

I don;t think so MJ. His contract ran until 30th June I'm sure, so he could have played some games but chose not to

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Now being reported that 6 are false positives at St.Mirren and only 1 person has the illness.

Does that mean that negative re-tests are accepted as "the definitive final result", even though some of them might be false negatives? I have an elderly uncle who tested positive, then negative a couple of weeks later, then positive again a couple of weeks after that.

30 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Does that mean that negative re-tests are accepted as "the definitive final result", even though some of them might be false negatives? I have an elderly uncle who tested positive, then negative a couple of weeks later, then positive again a couple of weeks after that.

Generally you need to have 2 consecutive "negative" tests to have that confirmed. Would imagine that they will be getting tested again and we'll only hear anything about it if they test positive again.