What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

5 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

He was out of contract so I guess he was within his rights. He has come down in my estimation though. Think there were 2, possibly 3, Charlton players refused to extend to cover the end of season. Little doubt they effectively relegated their club. Distinct lack of class. 

I think it was a risk for him either way. He could have played and got an injury. It is also possible that he is out of the public eye for premiership clubs.

Just listening to sportsound. The covid regulations are just guidelines and not rules, the 2 tests a week could run into the winter so all leagues in Scotland would need to do this, also despite the Ross County chairman saying they had bought a testing machine that gave results within 30 minutes, all testing at the moment takes 48 hours to get a result back. Regarding the arbitration, nobody knows what is happening and any thing said about it at the moment is speculation.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Just listening to sportsound. The covid regulations are just guidelines and not rules, the 2 tests a week could run into the winter so all leagues in Scotland would need to do this, also despite the Ross County chairman saying they had bought a testing machine that gave results within 30 minutes, all testing at the moment takes 48 hours to get a result back. Regarding the arbitration, nobody knows what is happening and any thing said about it at the moment is speculation.

So is it speculation that nobody knows what is happening 

How was Scottish football going to:

• cover the cost of playing a quarter of its season with substantial COVID testing
  • cover the cost of playing a quarter of its season without any crowd-based income
  • play those games during a period when the Scottish Government (for the most part) was not allowing any elite contact sport to be played
  • play those games before August, the UEFA deadline for completing a domestic season
  • play games in June and July when the vast majority of Scottish clubs have the vast majority of their players one one-year contracts that expire in May or early June?

Unless you can answer all of those questions, it is, best will in the world, whistling in the wind to point at teams in the English Premier League or Championship who have avoided/ended up being relegated because their seasons were played to a conclusion. This is because those teams play in leagues:

• with the infrastructure and money to introduce an effective testing regime
  • in which most of the income for teams is TV and sponsor-based rather than crowd dependent
  • which play football in England, where the public health advice on elite contact sport was more relaxed and earlier
  • which are used to playing games every 3 days solidly because of their normal fixture calendars
  • which have squads as large as twice the size of most in Scottish football outside the Old Firm
  • which have the vast majority of players on multi-year contracts and very few first team players with expiring contracts.

If some Thistle fans still can't tell the difference then I'm afraid they're engaging in wilful red and yellow blindness.

Edited by Woodstock Jag
  • Like 1

At no point have I suggested that it was feasible to restart the Scottish Championship season. Merely pointing out the evidence from England that a snapshot of the league table with eight or nine games to play is a totally unreliable way to project final placings. This leads to teams being unjustly penalised, as I expect the Arbitration Panel to recognise today, even if they fail to remedy this injustice.

Final league tables for the season should be amended to show the points per game standing, with an infinite number of decimal points. Then it would not take an asterisk to show future generations that something went badly wrong in 2020. 

1 hour ago, Sivad said:

At no point have I suggested that it was feasible to restart the Scottish Championship season. Merely pointing out the evidence from England that a snapshot of the league table with eight or nine games to play is a totally unreliable way to project final placings. This leads to teams being unjustly penalised, as I expect the Arbitration Panel to recognise today, even if they fail to remedy this injustice.

Final league tables for the season should be amended to show the points per game standing, with an infinite number of decimal points. Then it would not take an asterisk to show future generations that something went badly wrong in 2020. 

It's not "totally unreliable". A lot of the positions did not significantly change. It's self-evident that it's not perfectly reliable: by its very nature it's a projection.

The issue at hand is whether it's a projection they were entitled to make given the extraordinary circumstances. On that there is room for reasonable disagreement.

And those saying that this was an unfair way of dealing with things also have to confront the reality that null and void simply wasn't an option the authorities or clubs were ever going to pursue, given the commercial impact that would have had.

So if you can't finish the season the normal way and you won't null and void it, what is left, if not a projected finish based on games played?

• Like 1

Personally, the solution which should have occurred was simply extending last season into this season.

They are complaining about tight schedules, and if any games get called off its going to be impossible to reschedule... 

Last season was never complete, Dundee Utd, Raith, Cove have zero right to be promoted, nor Celtic win the title. They certainly have no more right than our battle to stay where we were in the Championship.

Dont know why we couldnt just play an extended league over two seasons, with say 54 games instead of ironically (54 games over two seasons - 27 game seasons....)

Just seems really silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuart_adam said:

Personally, the solution which should have occurred was simply extending last season into this season.

They are complaining about tight schedules, and if any games get called off its going to be impossible to reschedule... 

Last season was never complete, Dundee Utd, Raith, Cove have zero right to be promoted, nor Celtic win the title. They certainly have no more right than our battle to stay where we were in the Championship.

Dont know why we couldnt just play an extended league over two seasons, with say 54 games instead of ironically (54 games over two seasons - 27 game seasons....)

Just seems really silly.

This wasn't "simple". This would have involved breaking UEFA deadlines for nominating teams for European competition and would have left us completely unable to fulfil the terms of the new TV contract with Sky. It would have cost the Scottish game millions of pounds in future lost revenue.

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

The issue at hand is whether it's a projection they were entitled to make given the extraordinary circumstances. On that there is room for reasonable disagreement.

Agreed (that there is room for disagreement ). And I think this is where the details of how things were organised in the background are crucial. Who decided what and with whom etc.

Edited by allyo

2 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

It's not "totally unreliable". A lot of the positions did not significantly change. It's self-evident that it's not perfectly reliable: by its very nature it's a projection.

And those saying that this was an unfair way of dealing with things also have to confront the reality that null and void simply wasn't an option the authorities or clubs were ever going to pursue, given the commercial impact that would have had.

So if you can't finish the season the normal way and you won't null and void it, what is left, if not a projected finish based on games played?

You are right that many positions didn’t change. However, it seems to me there was quite a lot of change in the positions that mattered at the top and bottom of the leagues that continued. 

This season maybe nothing can be done, but unless the SPFL/SFA and the clubs put on reality hats regards tv contracts prize money, this is going to happen again.

5 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

This wasn't "simple". This would have involved breaking UEFA deadlines for nominating teams for European competition and would have left us completely unable to fulfil the terms of the new TV contract with Sky. It would have cost the Scottish game millions of pounds in future lost revenue.

The thing is every organisation seems to have been confined to their own wee rules box and were unwilling to consider that the situation the world wasn’t thought about when those rules/contracts were written.

6 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

The thing is every organisation seems to have been confined to their own wee rules box and were unwilling to consider that the situation the world wasn’t thought about when those rules/contracts were written.

I'm trying not to be flippant here, but what else did anyone expect? This is the world of business.

Irish Cup Final being played at Windsor Park on Friday (31 August), with 500 fans attending. (Ticket only.)  Ballymena  v  Glentoran.

Same night League of Ireland Premier Division game between Derry City  v  Sligo Rovers at the Brandywell live on internet BBC Sport.  (For those of you with withdrawal symptoms.)  Article states this game is "broadcast live", so I am assuming that it will be TV broadcast, and not just radio.   I do stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Just shows how the system works!

We automatically assume that the legal system is about justice and fairness, sorting out what's right and what's wrong?

It is all about following Laws/Rules that have been decided elsewhere!

i.e.  - Tax avoidance and Tax evasion - One is legal, the other is illegal! 

Easy to sort! Make them both illegal! Will never happen because the lawmakers do what they are told by the rich and powerful!

Same in Scottish football - You have to challenge or change the lawmakers before any thing will be fair and just for all!

Namely - The SPFL and the SFA!

On 7/27/2020 at 9:39 AM, Woodstock Jag said:

Please explain. Null and void or calling the season early meant the same as far as TV transmissions of Scottish football was concerned - there was nothing to see! By restarting  on August 1 the TV contracts are protected (apparently). So I ask again - why was null and void not an option (and don't hit me with crap about "prize money").  Anybody with half a brain could have found a way to deal with that.