What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

7 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The problem for me is that the next time a player does it, then football stops and that will impact every club in the country. 

Given that there aren’t many available slots in the calendar to play postponed games Aberdeen and Celtic should be forfeiting these games.

You can bet your bottom dollar if it was us, QOTS, Airdrie, Clyde etc game would have been forfeited & we all move on.

The thing is, all the SPFL teams except the ones who would be awarded the points would be against it - nobody expects 3 points from Celtic, so they’d say it’s unfair that their rivals get the benefit... They should’ve made an example of Aberdeen, but then they’d have had to do the same with Celtic, and we can’t have that... 

6 hours ago, javeajag said:

Just been told there are 6 other incidents the press are trying to confirm and out .... 

Thought it was interesting that Jason Leitch made it clear that if there were breaches from "now on" ( but not those previous to the "yellow card") then they might shutdown football. Also said that it was likely more stories of previous breaches would emerge in the coming days- seems to suggest he's been told in his meeting with clubs of more players breaking lockdown rules and are just waiting for it to come out.

6 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

I see that Linfield were awarded a 3 nil win tonight in their UEFA CL preliminary game against Drita - after 2 of Dritas players tested positive forcing squad to quarantine 

We’ll surely as the SPFL’s ruling body has now set a precedent, Scottish football should follow suit

10 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

I see that Linfield were awarded a 3 nil win tonight in their UEFA CL preliminary game against Drita - after 2 of Dritas players tested positive forcing squad to quarantine 

I disagree about teams being awarded a 3-0 win for a game called off for a covid infringement. If St. Mirren had been awarded a 3-0 win over Celtic, it's not going to make much difference to Celtic winning the league, but could make a huge difference at the other end with the teams fighting relegation. So effectively it is punishing the likes of Hamilton, Livingston and  Ross. A better penalty would be a points deduction (3 to 5 points) and then the game gets rescheduled, making it fair for all teams.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I disagree about teams being awarded a 3-0 win for a game called off for a covid infringement. If St. Mirren had been awarded a 3-0 win over Celtic, it's not going to make much difference to Celtic winning the league, but could make a huge difference at the other end with the teams fighting relegation. So effectively it is punishing the likes of Hamilton, Livingston and  Ross. A better penalty would be a points deduction (3 to 5 points) and then the game gets rescheduled, making it fair for all teams.

UEFA have set the precedent although I'm sure that the SPFL will argue that the CL is a cup competition - Linfield get a bye into the next round.

I just wonder if the same rules will be applied if some outlying CL diddy team like Sporting Circle Fola Esch of Luxembourg gets through qualification & gets drawn against Barcelona and the barca boys have to cancel the game due to quarantine.

59 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Very good points. Think it should be pointed out tho' that fairness and equity only comes into play when it involves the ugly sisters. All other clubs are effectively a sideshow.

Perhaps, and merely an exception to the rule (ha!), if some covid incident occurs in League Two then the interests of Brechin City will be taken into account.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

They are punishing the team for being unable to fulfill it's fixtures, which is not unreasonable

And if most of a team's squad came down with flu?  I seem to remember teams being able to request a postponement for such scenarios. 

What if a player got covid that couldn't be traced to a pub, for example, was not showing symptoms, but some of his team mates then also tested positive? Whose fault? 

Unfortunately, due to the hatred between two clubs in Scotland, many people are calling for one team to be docked up to 12 points because a player went awol for 24 hours, then came back. It's absurd. But I have no sympathy whatsoever with the player, and think that his team has the right to punish him as they see fit.

10 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

And if most of a team's squad came down with flu?  I seem to remember teams being able to request a postponement for such scenarios. 

What if a player got covid that couldn't be traced to a pub, for example, was not showing symptoms, but some of his team mates then also tested positive? Whose fault? 

Unfortunately, due to the hatred between two clubs in Scotland, many people are calling for one team to be docked up to 12 points because a player went awol for 24 hours, then came back. It's absurd. But I have no sympathy whatsoever with the player, and think that his team has the right to punish him as they see fit.

Know what you're meaning. Think tho' any club will be more lenient punishing a 20+ goal striker than they would be with some journeyman squad player. 

26 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'm sure that they can have appeals for situations like that, but something has to be done. How would you feel about a season long ban for any player caught doing something stupid ?

25 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm sure that they can have appeals for situations like that, but something has to be done. How would you feel about a season long ban for any player caught doing something stupid ?

Tricky one. Something stupid?.... Like driving over the speed limit (endangering life)? Having an affair with somebody's wife (endangering something or somebody.... can't put my finger on it)?

Or are we talking only Coronavirus-related misdemeanors?

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I don't think a club(s) should be punished if a player contracts Covid-19 and as a consequence can't fulfil a fixture providing they can demonstrate that all appropriate protocols were followed. 

A club(s) should be punished, however, if they are unable to fulfil a fixture due to breaches in Covid protocol by their player(s) irrespective of whether any player(s) subsequently contracts Covid-19 or not. 

It's not unreasonable to expect clubs to be responsible for the actions of their players. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

I don't think a club(s) should be punished if a player contracts Covid-19 and as a consequence can't fulfil a fixture providing they can demonstrate that all appropriate protocols were followed. 

A club(s) should be punished, however, if they are unable to fulfil a fixture due to breaches in Covid protocol by their player(s) irrespective of whether any player(s) subsequently contracts Covid-19 or not. 

It's not unreasonable to expect clubs to be responsible for the actions of their players. 

Cant put a like, but like !