What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

14 minutes ago, scotty said:

That's the Scottish tory line too. SG are supposed to spend the same cash on multiple things!

It’s not just a Scottish Tory Line , they did exactly the same thing in the Hospitality Trade with Night Clubs in Scotland to get funding to keep their businesses alive . The Night Time Hospitality trade lobbied them for months to get funding which they eventually did .

42 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Scottish Rugby Union looking to get crowds of 1,000 in January, building to crowds of 20,000 for the 5 Nations games.  Meeting  Fitzpatrick this week.  If this gets the go ahead, football supporters are being treated as 2nd class citizens.  If that happens,  the SFA/SPFL need to seek a judicial review of the decision.   On this occasion,  I think Scottish football is right to contest the way we are being treated.  The SG needs to get it's head round the fact that very few football fans are hooligans in this day and age.

We were supposed to get funding earlier this year,  but the payday came and went.  UK government have rejected the Barnett sum due as a result of their £20 million payment to National League clubs. Said the SG got sufficient funds to deal in Coid issues in Scotland.   I'm speechless at their audacity. 

Sounds like the usual pie in the sky stuff we've heard from various groups about getting people in to watch events again.

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Scottish Rugby Union looking to get crowds of 1,000 in January,  

Sorry for the selective quoting but the scenario of crowds of 1000 max would be most unwelcome for the likes of us.  Reckon we've gotta hope for a percentage of capacity ruling. Problem with the latter is it opens the door to increased travel and thus reduces the chances of it been granted.

On the "Cruise  critic "  website  (P&O thread), a number of health care workers in England have said that they have appointments for Tuesday  1st  December  for their 1st  Covid  vaccination . 2nd following 2 weeks later. 

If this is true,  at least one vaccine is due to be approved tomorrow or Monday.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sorry for the selective quoting but the scenario of crowds of 1000 max would be most unwelcome for the likes of us.  Reckon we've gotta hope for a percentage of capacity ruling. Problem with the latter is it opens the door to increased travel and thus reduces the chances of it been granted.

The SRU are talking about Murrayfield,  LIB.  All football clubs, theatres,  etc should have safe entry/exit strategies in  place by now, so hopefully if crowds were to return, tender footsteps will grow to our normal footfall before long.  Still a way to go before then, with the disease incidence as it currently stands in the W of S.

No matter your political views, i don't think you would do anything but cringe and shake your head in disbelief in the way that Doncaster and Cormack were going on today. Maybe the other sports/business that have / will get the go ahead have been more diplomatic when talking in public about the way they are being treated by the SG.

33 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

No matter your political views, i don't think you would do anything but cringe and shake your head in disbelief in the way that Doncaster and Cormack were going on today. Maybe the other sports/business that have / will get the go ahead have been more diplomatic when talking in public about the way they are being treated by the SG.

I can't but agree that being rude won't get Doncaster anywhere, AJ.  He has history here.  His reaction after the tribunal Hearing was outrageous. 

I'll follow the rugby request with interest.  As a previous poster said, the SRU may be flying a kite,  but we'll see next week.

12 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I can't but agree that being rude won't get Doncaster anywhere, AJ.  He has history here.  His reaction after the tribunal Hearing was outrageous. 

I'll follow the rugby request with interest.  As a previous poster said, the SRU may be flying a kite,  but we'll see next week.

Being rude has kept Doncaster in a job he has spectacularly failed at for close on a decade now 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

On the "Cruise  critic "  website  (P&O thread), a number of health care workers in England have said that they have appointments for Tuesday  1st  December  for their 1st  Covid  vaccination . 2nd following 2 weeks later. 

If this is true,  at least one vaccine is due to be approved tomorrow or Monday.

My background is Biomedical Science. I would be very cautious about the potential for an vaccine being rolled out soon that  will be effective over vast swathes of the population.  At least one pharmaceutical company has had to draw back from their claims when they discovered that their own data was flawed.

A number of companies are working on vaccines which may be effective but we have to remember that they are commercial companies selling "hope" to willing buyers worldwide.

My concern is that there is a lot of hype about at present with very little substance behind it. I hope that I am wrong. 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I just don’t get it. Why is there any talk of opening up stadia ? We should be doing all we can to reduce social interface to the minimum possible.

I don't get  the opening up the stadium to help clubs financially either. Season ticket holders have paid , there would be no hospitality or food stalls. Club shops are unlikely to be open and you would have additional costs in stewarding and staff. I would assume that there would also be additional costs in deep cleaning of toilets, turnstiles etc. and at least wipe downs of seating areas before and after use.

I would love to be back at games but I cannot see how "walk ups" on game days could save clubs from the financial abyss during the pandemic. 

52 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

My background is Biomedical Science. I would be very cautious about the potential for an vaccine being rolled out soon that  will be effective over vast swathes of the population.  At least one pharmaceutical company has had to draw back from their claims when they discovered that their own data was flawed.

A number of companies are working on vaccines which may be effective but we have to remember that they are commercial companies selling "hope" to willing buyers worldwide.

My concern is that there is a lot of hype about at present with very little substance behind it. I hope that I am wrong. 

I have to confess that I have not read in any particular detail the results of the studies and have relied on the brief news reports. I understood that the 2 full doses had a higher effectiveness than the flu vaccine has ? And that in the cases of people mistakenly given 1 half dose and one full dose the effectiveness was over 90 % ?  We need to remember that penicillin was discovered by accident. I do agree with you that it’s likely to be quite some time before we are through this even with vaccinations starting in December.

1 hour ago, Big Dan said:

I don't get  the opening up the stadium to help clubs financially either. Season ticket holders have paid , there would be no hospitality or food stalls. Club shops are unlikely to be open and you would have additional costs in stewarding and staff. I would assume that there would also be additional costs in deep cleaning of toilets, turnstiles etc. and at least wipe downs of seating areas before and after use.

I would love to be back at games but I cannot see how "walk ups" on game days could save clubs from the financial abyss during the pandemic. 

I suppose this depends on how many are allowed in or what proportion of stadium capacity. If Scotland were to follow England’s plan of 4,000 or 50% of capacity, then I think that would result in almost normal income for the vast majority of clubs.

42 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I suppose this depends on how many are allowed in or what proportion of stadium capacity. If Scotland were to follow England’s plan of 4,000 or 50% of capacity, then I think that would result in almost normal income for the vast majority of clubs.

This is what I was getting at just couldn't mind the figures. Clearly that route would be grand for the likes of us. What I think tho' will occur, if or when the virus is more under control, will be a flat rate of attendance introduced. Unless that flat rate is in excess of say at least 2000 it'll cost us more to stage than the current no fans situation. I wouldn't put it past Doncaster to accept that sort of staged route for the lower divisions.   

4 hours ago, Big Dan said:

And even if it is only level 1 regions that are allowed to open, do we really want hoards of supporters from level 3/4 mingling in coaches and carrying the virus up to these regions ?

6 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I have to confess that I have not read in any particular detail the results of the studies and have relied on the brief news reports. I understood that the 2 full doses had a higher effectiveness than the flu vaccine has ? And that in the cases of people mistakenly given 1 half dose and one full dose the effectiveness was over 90 % ?  We need to remember that penicillin was discovered by accident. I do agree with you that it’s likely to be quite some time before we are through this even with vaccinations starting in December.

I think that the issue with the 90% was that it was in the younger cohort tested.

My issue with the Pharmaceutical companies is that they tend to over sell  the potential of their products. (After all that is their own products that they are promoting).

We had a few managed service contracts that tied us in to companies and their products.  On very rare occasions things went smoothly.

31 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

I think that the issue with the 90% was that it was in the younger cohort tested.

My issue with the Pharmaceutical companies is that they tend to over sell  the potential of their products. (After all that is their own products that they are promoting).

We had a few managed service contracts that tied us in to companies and their products.  On very rare occasions things went smoothly.

I understand that the 90% was for under 55’s ? and if that is backed up with further review, it is going to make the cost of vaccinating everybody a good bit less. 

9 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Being rude has kept Doncaster in a job he has spectacularly failed at for close on a decade now 

Couldn't agree more. Even just taking into account what has happened since March. We had the farcical ending of the season that went like a Brian Rix film. Also apart from the league cup no other major football competition played in Scotland this season has a sponsor. It beggars belief Doncaster is still in charge.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:45 AM, McCall Out said:

Because of his proven track record.

Besides, Scally has talked sense whenever I have heard him and lets be honest, any manager with a proven track record that we could get is going to be pretty crap. The only way we will get a decent gaffer is by taking a risk on someone unproven. There has been lots of posts requesting that we go for young players from Juniors or academy, so why not also give a young manager his chance, assuming that those making the appointment think he is upto the job.

I would say it's pretty certain that "those making the appointment" will "think" Scally "is up to the job".

Wouldn't you agree Jacqui?

14 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I understand that the 90% was for under 55’s ? and if that is backed up with further review, it is going to make the cost of vaccinating everybody a good bit less. 

Yes it was in the under 55 age group that they claim 90% . I understand 60-70% across the population. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

They are a few other vaccines being developed one intriguingly  called Sputnik.

Pfizer also ran a trial which initially found 90% efficacy but the major caution should be that their placebo group also showed 90% .

Its early days and I feel that any potential vaccine  may detract from the need to stay safe  in the short to medium term. 

• Like 1

Doncaster is sitting on a million pounds which should have been split between  the clubs by now. When questioned about it,  he said we are waiting for the auditors to clear it

before paying out. Was he hoping for the SG to give them money as well?  Quite a few of the premier clubs spent a bit of money at the beginning of season with Aberdeen being one of the main culprits. Remember Governments don't have any money, the money the give out is ours.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:43 AM, Big Dan said:

Agree

Drug companies are not trustworthy. It's a boy who cried wolf situation 

18 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

Doncaster is sitting on a million pounds which should have been split between  the clubs by now. When questioned about it,  he said we are waiting for the auditors to clear it

before paying out. Was he hoping for the SG to give them money as well?  Quite a few of the premier clubs spent a bit of money at the beginning of season with Aberdeen being one of the main culprits. Remember Governments don't have any money, the money the give out is ours.

And Dundee United signing new players on thousands a week in the summer, then expecting the government to bail them out and their existing players to take wage cuts.