What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

8 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Sturgeon having emergency meeting tomorrow - EIS teachers union looking for longer school closures in Scotland with schools chaos down south -  allied to calls from Keir Starmer and the Liverpool city council for a (proper) national lockdown - seems to be growing momentum towards another full on lockdown perhaps up to April to allow vaccines to be rolled out properly.

People just not taking it seriously - was walking the dug in Rouken Glen park yesterday & today - play park at the pavilion was heaving parents grouped together no masks and their weans mingling on all the slides and chutes &it was jumping up at the pond. 

What that might mean for football is anyone’s guess but probably same as before as precedent was set last season - however as full control wasn’t handed to the spfl it would undoubtedly be another vote ... what could possibly go wrong?!

Circumstances this time around are different, though. We now have a vaccine that supposedly will give us better protection(or at least the most vulnerable) by the spring. 

I think it is surprising that there haven’t been more covid postponements in the lower leagues. 

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Circumstances this time around are different, though. We now have a vaccine that supposedly will give us better protection(or at least the most vulnerable) by the spring. 

I think it is surprising that there haven’t been more covid postponements in the lower leagues. 

Have to agree. I was expecting carnage when they started the season.

Also different this time is the new strain which is far more infectious.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I agree that the circumstances are different now. Hopefully the vaccinations  programme means that things will eventually improve.  Despite the European Championships,  there is no reason for the shortened league  programme not to be extended to all of May this season. 

Three times Doncaster has tried to take executive control, only to be rejected.  He may wish to close down the lower leagues to concentrate on the moneyspinning SPFL, but he gets his enormous salary to run ALL of the leagues. Make him earn it, and do his full job properly. He can sit down to a slice of pizza and a glass of cheap vodka when it's all over in summer.   B)

Could merge this thread with another couple in terms of overlap. Postponed games rearranged for midweek and thus occurring additional cost of lighting could be too much for some clubs. Part time clubs can hardly be expected to play during daytime midweek. And on another topic all this uncertainty has to have a knock on effect re the transfer window. 

Perhaps things will be clearer after Holyrood today. One thing for certain is travel restrictions won't be easing. Repeating myself but the SPFL, by not regionalising the lower leagues when they had the opportunity, has not exactly helped.   

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Could merge this thread with another couple in terms of overlap. Postponed games rearranged for midweek and thus occurring additional cost of lighting could be too much for some clubs. Part time clubs can hardly be expected to play during daytime midweek. And on another topic all this uncertainty has to have a knock on effect re the transfer window. 

Perhaps things will be clearer after Holyrood today. One thing for certain is travel restrictions won't be easing. Repeating myself but the SPFL, by not regionalising the lower leagues when they had the opportunity, has not exactly helped.   

Impossible. Which region would Brechin be in ?

• Haha 2

To quote Nicola ....

The FM says anyone who is able to work from home must do so. It will only be a reasonable excuse to travel to work if it cannot be done from home.

She asks that people and businesses take the new law as seriously as in March last year.

She says the situation is "at least as serious now as it was then".

She asks every business to look again at their operations, and to make sure that every single function that can be done by people working at home, is being done in that way.

Does that mean we can play the Blue Brazil on FIFA ?

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The following scenario is not impossible: The season gets stopped prematurely and the teams who are currently top/bottom of their respective leagues will get promoted/relegated. If this comes to pass in a couple of weeks, we could well see Thistle either behind Falkirk (at the top) by one or two points, but with a game in hand.  Almost deja vu...  in the other direction. We will again need to "take our medicine."

Our average number of points per game is well above 1, but unlikely to get anywhere near 2, except with a substantial run of victories. So in the particular scenario you describe, assuming that all other teams have been left behind, if we are 2 points adrift of Falkirk, we stay in League 1, but if we are 1 point adrift, we win promotion based on average number of points per game.

This is all on the understanding that the SPFL would follow the same principles as last season. They would, wouldn't they??:unknw:

13 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Our average number of points per game is well above 1, but unlikely to get anywhere near 2, except with a substantial run of victories. So in the particular scenario you describe, assuming that all other teams have been left behind, if we are 2 points adrift of Falkirk, we stay in League 1, but if we are 1 point adrift, we win promotion based on average number of points per game.

This is all on the understanding that the SPFL would follow the same principles as last season. They would, wouldn't they??:unknw:

Ha, I wouldn’t be sure of that. The rule abt pts per game, promotion/relegation and Brechin was only changed for season 19/20, I think.

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

You would think so but Lawell is on the spfl board this year and will die in a ditch to prevent Rangers being awarded the title on the basis of average points per game.   Watch for  his glove puppet Doncaster doing his master's bidding if the season is suspended. 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Although I can't see how Celtic players will be allowed back in the country from Dubai - "No-one is allowed to travel into or out of Scotland unless it is for an essential purpose,"

A throwaway comment on the end of STV News mentioned something about the Scottish Gov expecting the SFA to step in here. Wouldn't hold my breath.

Could be more fun if they do get away but can't get back.