What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

10 minutes ago, P-R said:

Looks likely, I've not see anything on the official site advertising the game bar the selling of a program for the game.

Noticed that Livi moved their game to Sunday to try and give their pitch time -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55575170

Makes sense . No sign of the stream being sold so not looking good for Saturday.

1 hour ago, P-R said:

Looks likely, I've not see anything on the official site advertising the game bar the selling of a program for the game.

Noticed that Livi moved their game to Sunday to try and give their pitch time -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55575170

Completely sensible move by Livi. A cursory look at the weather forecast suggests that the majority of clubs should be doing the same. Unless you're prepared to turn on your USH or are off to Dubai for a jolly. 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And if you were the Montrose chairman, how would you feel if 2 of your competitors were given 3 times as much cash as your club ? 

I didn’t say that there should have been such a big gap, but that full time clubs get a higher amount. As I said the grant shouldn’t be used to invest in new players.

I think people are missing the point regarding the distribution of the money provided by the Scottish Government. Which division clubs are in or whether they are full time, part time or a mix is not really the issue. The issue which has impacted on all clubs is a lack of paying customers on matchdays. It would have been more sensible, in my opinion, for the money to be split based on what clubs would be losing out in that regard.

To take an example. Arbroath whilst a Championship club have a much smaller average attendance than Falkirk who are a League One club therefore Falkirk should receive more than Arbroath. Remember also that Championship clubs will still receive more than League One and Two clubs through the normal prize money distribution which I think is fine as that is rewarding performance but this money was not given to reward clubs for Coronavirus existing.

I think it is another example of the lazy thinking currently employed in Scottish Football - here is some money how do we distribute it? Shall we do so based on each club's individual circumstances or just go with a blanket one size fits all approach? I can hear the opinion as well being expressed "but we needed to get the money out quickly" so a blanket approach was necessary. Well why then are clubs complaining about not yet having the money?

Edited to add quote from journalist when distribution was announced:

"The government’s emergency funding to football clubs was to ‘cover lost ticket revenue’. Whilst the money alleviates some financial pressures for clubs, it’s clearly not been allocated based on lost ticket revenue. Why the change? £350,000 gap between Championship & L1 is wild."

Edited by Fawlty Towers
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

"but we needed to get the money out quickly" 

Agree with all your post FT. The bit above is also the excuse that was used to end the season prematurely. It then came out that a number of clubs said the money they would get was so small it made no difference. Has the SPFL paid out the money to all clubs that is normally paid out in November yet ?

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I think people are missing the point regarding the distribution of the money provided by the Scottish Government. Which division clubs are in or whether they are full time, part time or a mix is not really the issue. The issue which has impacted on all clubs is a lack of paying customers on matchdays. It would have been more sensible, in my opinion, for the money to be split based on what clubs would be losing out in that regard.

To take an example. Arbroath whilst a Championship club have a much smaller average attendance than Falkirk who are a League One club therefore Falkirk should receive more than Arbroath. Remember also that Championship clubs will still receive more than League One and Two clubs through the normal prize money distribution which I think is fine as that is rewarding performance but this money was not given to reward clubs for Coronavirus existing.

I think it is another example of the lazy thinking currently employed in Scottish Football - here is some money how do we distribute it? Shall we do so based on each club's individual circumstances or just go with a blanket one size fits all approach? I can hear the opinion as well being expressed "but we needed to get the money out quickly" so a blanket approach was necessary. Well why then are clubs complaining about not yet having the money?

Edited to add quote from journalist when distribution was announced:

"The government’s emergency funding to football clubs was to ‘cover lost ticket revenue’. Whilst the money alleviates some financial pressures for clubs, it’s clearly not been allocated based on lost ticket revenue. Why the change? £350,000 gap between Championship & L1 is wild."

Completely agree FT. Of course it would mean the OF getting more than anyone else. That makes it even more surprising that they didn't do it.

First time I’ve seen that bit above & shocking if true.

On that basis it really should have taken no more than two functioning idiots from the SPFL no more than two days in a dark room poring over the previous 3 years accounts & average attendances (out with matches v the ugly sisters) from each club to decide a spilt of the monies on a more equitable and fair basis.

Edited by gianlucatoni

8 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

First time I’ve seen that bit above & shocking if true.

On that basis it really should have taken no more than two functioning idiots from the SPFL no more than two days in a dark room poring over the previous 3 years accounts & average attendances (out with matches v the ugly sisters) from each club to decide a spilt of the monies on a more equitable and fair basis.

Much too sensible and fair for the likes of Doncaster to contemplate.

9 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Much too sensible and fair for the likes of Doncaster to contemplate.

He and others have got their fat salaries and they won't be losing any sleep over the 'wee clubs', us included. We don't register on their radar. Never have and never will. 

I don't think its as simple as just looking at attendances.

Should it not be Average attendance LESS season ticket holders.

Therefore the teams most reliant on pay at the gate would do best in the distribution.

This is on the assumption most clubs season tickets numbers have been impacted to a small but similar percentage.

First announcement re funding. To cover lost ticket revenue to the fore, no mention of even split within divisions:

https://www.gov.scot/news/emergency-funding-for-sport/

Second announcement. Still talks of lost ticket income but now SFA involved and money is to be split evenly despite it being fairly obvious that different clubs have lost out to differing degrees:

https://www.gov.scot/news/emergency-funding-for-football/