What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

11 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

we could be fast approaching the time to distribute some medicine again - will Brechin escape again?

Calling the season now, condemns us to another season in this league, drops income again (ppv and sponsorship) and will likely impact on virtual ST take up for next season (and maybe this if people need a refund), all at a time when our chair is making signals regarding the impact this has already made on our finances.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Calling the season now, condemns us to another season in this league, drops income again (ppv and sponsorship) and will likely impact on virtual ST take up for next season (and maybe this if people need a refund), all at a time when our chair is making signals regarding the impact this has already made on our finances.

Exactly this. The fate of Brechin is the least of our worries.

If we can get in the playoffs there is a chance that the suspension will end with playoffs being held. A small hope, but a chance. As it stands we are doomed. The statement makes it absolutely clear that promotion THIS year is essential 

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

We have no fans at football and now in the FA cup teams playing a team made up with the majority of the U23 team. When does it become to farcical and if need be pause the season for a few weeks.

A lot of clubs (probably ours as well), may not survive a pause, I don’t think it will be for a few weeks the way cases are going and I don’t see clubs outside the top 2 divisions in Scotland restarting this season if it does pause. Norway is already openly talking about postponing the season start in April, and although we have now brought restrictions in to our daily life’s (Bars, restaurants shut, masks, no visits to other houses) with cases now up to 800 a day here (fortunately only 450 deaths since last February), we’ve still only had 50000 cases.

56 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

A lot of clubs (probably ours as well), may not survive a pause, I don’t think it will be for a few weeks the way cases are going and I don’t see clubs outside the top 2 divisions in Scotland restarting this season if it does pause. Norway is already openly talking about postponing the season start in April, and although we have now brought restrictions in to our daily life’s (Bars, restaurants shut, masks, no visits to other houses) with cases now up to 800 a day here (fortunately only 450 deaths since last February), we’ve still only had 50000 cases.

I get what you are saying, but when you have teams playing U23 teams to get a game played it just seems to be a farce to me. 

11 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

If it currently costs money to put on games, surely a pause would save money.

It would be a disaster for thistle if there was no restart, but I think it is only a matter of time before it happens. Probably after England make the decision.

It seems to me that football is being used in the way that cinemas and theatres were in 1973. During the 3 day week, places of entertainment were exempt as they provided a diversion for the population. I think that GovUK and ScotGov are keen for it to continue for as long as possible. Of course, the way things are going, that position may become untenable.

The original lockdown last year started to be ease at the end of May in line with summer arriving as infections reduced due to people being more likely to meet outside. This year we will have a lockdown that will probably stretch to a similar timeline. I've never understood why the football authorities did not move the football calendar to summer football in recognition of this.

This season  the infection rate is worse so why don't the SFA and SPFL take the more sensible action of suspending the leage campaigns and completing them over the summer? I appreciate the European championships have to be played this summer and European club competition is a factor but that effects very few clubs and would be weighed against the possible return of fans in the summer should vaccine rollout accelerate. At the very least all leagues par the Premier could move to the summer.

I would also suggest that sumer football need to be seen as something that should happen for next few seasons. As much as vaccines will help for the few years we will still face winter pressures on the health service amid spikes in new cases and variants.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If it currently costs money to put on games, surely a pause would save money.

It would be a disaster for thistle if there was no restart, but I think it is only a matter of time before it happens. Probably after England make the decision.

It’ll cost us money to pause too, wages still need paid, as does rates, electricity and insurance. At least now we have PPV and ST money plus sponsorship cash, ending the season or pausing it could mean no income and potentially having to pay back sponsorship or ST cash. 

SFA have shut down all football below the Championship for a period of 3 weeks, including the Scottish Cup.

Championship will be allowed to continue on the basis that they begin regular testing of the players and backroom staff.

Edited to add; The "temporary" suspension will be reviewed on the 31st of January. Would imagine that this will be extended at that point.

Edited by redandyellowallover

2 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

SFA have shut down all football below the Championship for a period of 3 weeks, including the Scottish Cup.

Championship will be allowed to continue on the basis that they begin regular testing of the players and backroom staff.

Edited to add; The "temporary" suspension will be reviewed on the 31st of January. Would imagine that this will be extended at that point.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-board-confirms-three-week-suspension-of-professional-football-beneath-spfl-championship/?rid=13929

12 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Maybe they will increase the grant....

From this, it's clear that we have been chucked  in the bin.

"Based on the imperatives of acting in the best interests of public health and participant safety, whilst ensuring professional clubs’ survival, the SPFL Premiership will be exempt from the suspension, provided it continues to adhere to the stringent testing protocols.
The SPFL Championship will also be able to continue provided it commences weekly PCR testing."

First few things that popped in to my head:

1. Fixture congestion - I thought there was virtually no space in the calendar hence why Betfred Cup games in the group stages where awarded to the opposition if a team could not play?

2. Transfer window - will clubs sign players if they are not sure there will be games after end of January. Does window get extended?

3. With no income as can't stream matches that are not on will the SFA/SPFL offer any assistance?

5 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

First few things that popped in to my head:

1. Fixture congestion - I thought there was virtually no space in the calendar hence why Betfred Cup games in the group stages where awarded to the opposition if a team could not play?

2. Transfer window - will clubs sign players if they are not sure there will be games after end of January. Does window get extended?

3. With no income as can't stream matches that are not on will the SFA/SPFL offer any assistance?

1. Its not affecting the Premier league SPFL don't care

2. See answer 1

3. See answer 1

I can see everything below the Championship being voided. Only decision the SPFL need to make is how to shaft Thistle again.

• Like 2

"While the national sport has been afforded the privilege of elite sporting exemption, the risk of mass transportation of untested, largely part-time players is something that cannot be sustained as the cases continue to rise and available hospital beds become increasingly scarce."

Not sure how they can square this with the decision to allow Celtic to go to Dubai. Hearing now that they have thirteen players and three staff self-isolating.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

"While the national sport has been afforded the privilege of elite sporting exemption, the risk of mass transportation of untested, largely part-time players is something that cannot be sustained as the cases continue to rise and available hospital beds become increasingly scarce."

Not sure how they can square this with the decision to allow Celtic to go to Dubai. Hearing now that they have thirteen players and three staff self-isolating.

Because the SFA & SPFL will do anything to avoid upsetting the ugly sisters. The Scottish Govt. said it was for the football authorities to investigate Celtic's Dubai trip....silence...

Football at our level was untenable in the circumstances.

SPL needs to continue for TV money which helps to finance the lower clubs.

Edit to add : Testing will be a huge financial overhead for Championship clubs. They won't be getting any more subsidies to help.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

19 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

When you factor additional time for play offs it's difficult to see the leagues being completed. And if that be the case, albeit in hindsight, it's gonna look silly not completing last season's fixtures thru last autumn. Two incomplete seasons instead of one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

When you factor additional time for play offs it's difficult to see the leagues being completed. And if that be the case, albeit in hindsight, it's gonna look silly not completing last season's fixtures thru last autumn. Two incomplete seasons instead of one. 

I make it a point never to disagree with a lady. Going way back to when this was all being discussed I could not get my head around why we had to start a season rather than finish one which had already started.

• Like 2