What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Edit to add : Testing will be a huge financial overhead for Championship clubs. They won't be getting any more subsidies to help.

It'll also likely increase the number of postponed fixtures, which will in turn be costly.

edited to add....on the subject of covid testing I thought all tests were carried out by swabbing nose or throat. Appears not.....https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/137528922_10219586698324162_121862636786183424_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=fH4h_himJtYAX8kOx_b&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=b170db2c048a901b9a74378b8efd3bb0&oe=602007C5  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If reconstruction is pushed through if the season ends and it goes to 3 leagues of 16 we would still be in the bottom division because we are a pretty poor 5th

I don't think the 'elite's are interested in reconstruction. Cut adrift the lower 2 divisions and go with a league with no relegation.

5 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Bollocks. You just can't see the fact that we have been an utter shambles for the past 3 and half years. Been on a steep decline. It was within our control to stop it. But off the field shenanigans, poor appointments, poor player recruitment has put us where we are. So are we UTTERLY blameless? Have a look at the real story behind this shambles.

We are blameless for the pandemic and its impact on PTFC. Only the most churlish would not see that. Stop looking back and concentrate on how we move forward. Let's hear your solutions. 

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

We are blameless for the pandemic and its impact on PTFC. Only the most churlish would not see that. Stop looking back and concentrate on how we move forward. Let's hear your solutions. 

You have to look back to see where we went wrong and not repeat them. But you want to draw a veil over what went before. Every club is blameless for the pandemic. But we went from a position of strength to the place we are today because of poor leadership on and off the field. We shouldn't be in the position we are in. We would still be playing football but for all of that. Now we are lying dormant for at least 3 weeks, likely to be longer, and in grave danger of either going under or becoming an also ran forever in the lower leagues. What solutions are there for the club. Its all about finance. No income and we are in deep strife. There are more and more people hitting financial poverty and income streams are drying up. People are rightly now prioritising and football comes way down the list.

13 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

How far back do you want to go? We are where we are and the issue is what has happened today and how we overcome it. 

Do I get to time travel ?

I'd like to go back to Caldwell being sacked, and not appoint McCall ... or Archibald being sacked and not appoint Caldwell. Between them they have got us in this mess.

I don't see how the playoffs can go ahead if the league suspension last more than a couple of weeks. There just isn't the time in the calendar to play them as well when you have a league full of part-time players that can only play around work commitments. Add to that contracts will end then its a pretty tight window.

Also there is zero point in recruiting any players until its known if the league can reconvene so the championship clubs now have an easier market to operate in and if the leagues recommence how do league 1 and 2 clubs recruit to finish their season as the window will have closed?

After 10/11 games played the only viable way forward is to void the league. Promoting Falkirk or relegating Forfar would be even more unfair than our relegation last year. However I am willing to make an exception for Brechin!

Also if completing the Premier is important because of european spots who is getting the spot for winning the Scottish Cup now if the ties featuring lower league clubs can't be played or are they just going ahead with the lower leagues playing with understreght squads due to no january transfer window and at a disadvantage having not played in a while?

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I don't think the 'elite's are interested in reconstruction. Cut adrift the lower 2 divisions and go with a league with no relegation.

This. If the 'elite' clubs were in favour of reconstruction they would have supported it in the summer. No matter how they do it the SPFL need to deliver as many games between  the ugly sisters as they can to satisfy Sky the rest of the Premier league will not vote to share out their cut of the TV money with more clubs. In their ideal world the top league would be invitation only

7 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'd like to go back to Caldwell being sacked, and not appoint McCall ... or Archibald being sacked and not appoint Caldwell. Between them they have got us in this mess.

Don't disagree that the decision not to sack archie earlier set in motion a sharp downward trend. However time travel works forward too so I'd like to envisage us back in the SPL  in 5 years. Not unreasonable. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Might not be popular but I’d like us to borrow a lot of the mentality that has went on at Livingston. Getting promotion from league one to the premier league 2 years running - not only have they more and comfortably stayed in the division but pretty much been verging on challenging for top 6.

There has been a winning mentality throughout their team, a complete team togetherness, team spirit and drive for success that is the complete opposite in every way from us since the day we made top 6 in the premier league 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I make it a point never to disagree with a lady. Going way back to when this was all being discussed I could not get my head around why we had to start a season rather than finish one which had already started.

Because Celtic wanted their 9th title last season so that Rangers wouldn't have another season to mature/ improve and therefore stop them getting their 'history making' 10th successive title. 

I fully agree that last season could and should have been completed - as was done in England. If the season had been completed, albeit later than normal, we would not have had all the bitterness and division we now have. 

Calling the season early was all about Celtic and McLennan and Doncaster were only too keen to help regardless of the cost to others! 

I never though I'd say this but 'come on the Gers'.

Assuming Rangers don't have a total collapse Karma will be wonderful!! 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Might not be popular but I’d like us to borrow a lot of the mentality that has went on at Livingston. Getting promotion from league one to the premier league 2 years running - not only have they more and comfortably stayed in the division but pretty much been verging on challenging for top 6.

There has been a winning mentality throughout their team, a complete team togetherness, team spirit and drive for success that is the complete opposite in every way from us since the day we made top 6 in the premier league 

Sad to think where we are compared to Livi..how do they get there??.

58 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Yes we had a game in hand, but we hadn’t won one of the previous TEN league games, based on form we would have drawn or lost the game in hand. 

But that's not how it works, is it. The completed leagues in England showed many examples of teams which were dreadful mid-season but finished strongly to stay up. I genuinely thought our performances were improving just before closedown as players bedded in (and the dross identified).

• Like 1

If the foregoing  discussion is accurate and  the season is finished prematurely in all the Leagues  we are left with  an interesting scenario.

Last season Rangers wanted the season. Should we be in a similar situation this season I would hope Rangers will maintain their position of last season by wanting this season completed, or, as Celtic did, that the title should be awarded to them. This will put pressure on Celtic to argue that the season should be declared null and void and this a will show them up  for what they are - a club without dignity or integrity! 

hey ho here we go again - if English students have not to return to university until the end of February at the earliest, I think it's not beyond the bounds of probability that the season will not start before March - which could probably mean the number of games could reduce even further from whatever it is at present - my glass may be half empty again 

Edited by gianlucatoni

6 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

And now Maxwell. He has just said that Celtic have no case to answer. Little lickspittle lapdog.

No surprise there. Premier league teams break protocols/rules, but it is leagues 1, 2 and below that have to stop.They should be made to explain how that is fair.:angry2:

11 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Its a good statement but what exactly are we doing to change the situation other than moaning about the bad things the SPFL and SFA have done to us?

Last year showed both those organisations to be self serving incompetent shambles so today is not surprise.

Why don't we make it clear that Doncaster and the rest of the current SPFL board will no longer be welcome at Firhill?